Wood supply

Got that load all ran through the chunker today, man green limb wood is like a breeze for this thing. It was eating through 3" limbs with ease! Made me a nice wind row of my first batch of hardwood fuel

12 Likes

Now comes the drying. That’s some nice fuel you have laying on the foor.
Bob

7 Likes

I’m really looking forward to seeing how well it runs, in 2 weeks ill be back to take another maple and a alder tree off that same job so i will get a good bunch more of it made up. We looked like drowned rats after the weather yesterday, and i found out my 4wd works great! Just not in a muddy sloppy horse pasture with 10,000lbs of green maple in the trailer behind me :grin: had to use the tractor to get my truck and trailer out but it hauled it at 60mph on the way home. I cant wait to see the look on the owners face when i come over to cut wood while driving on wood and hauling wood out on wood! This place we have a forestry plan with and we remove 10 trees a year and this year i negotiated that I now take all the limb wood and my brother and dad gets the firewood, which in turns saves them cost on chipping service. All around win i do believe, and did i mention we almost exclusively remove maples for them? BONUS!

10 Likes

So this land is it primerly red maple or vine maple with some alder trees? What about other speices of trees?
With this ten tree a year plan your are set. It is like having a hard wood fruit trees that need pruning every year. Good job on finding this wood fuel on going project for free wood. Do you have places to put all this wood for fuel to store up and keep out of the direct rain fall to dry, or under cover some where? 1 cored of wood = about 5000 miles. May be only 4000 miles with the V-10 engine feeding on a gasifier.
Bob

3 Likes

The property is pretty diversified with maples and Doug fir mainly with some alder, cottonwood, hemlock, cedar, and Holley trees and patches of pine as well. If I chunk everything into bags I can squirrel it away in a few spots. The last 7 years we have had this contract all the firewood was cut and left on sight as there are I think 4 houses on the property owned by the family all heated by wood stove. They don’t burn it up as fast as we cut it every year so a lot of there wood piles are going to rot and the maple is pretty sought after by folks around here for wood stoving so this year my brother decided he would push to get the firewood and market what is good saw logs for them. We have one load of logs we salvaged after the last wind storm but usually it’s chipping and firewood. Now the down side is it’s in Redmond, and each tree is a permit process approved by the county and it’s a big production to get the permit. The owners handle that now and we just come in to do the removal and clean up and storm debris cleanup

7 Likes

That is a little bit drive but you will be driving on wood pretty soon. This is a better deal than driving over the mountains, but it is another option for you if you need it.
Bob

5 Likes

Ya but east side I could get fuel, visit friends, fish and enjoy the dry weather. Work trip vs relaxation trip!

6 Likes

And you would also get dry WOOD to use and drive home on too. You are welcome any time.
Bob

5 Likes

There will be a day I take you up on that, but it will most likely be when the V10 is done and I can pack my boys and wife over for a family trip, make a good weekend of it

6 Likes

It dried up down by the river. Able to get to the last load of wood. Fun is over with for a while.

13 Likes

What the heck JO. Winter just got over and you still have two whole walls of stacked wood that I can see. Then I look at where my stacks were. All turned into smoke and ashes. Just doesn’t seem right.

11 Likes

Forward planning Tom, forward planning! There will be another winter. Didn’t you tell us summer is about preparing for next winter? :smile:
Spring is the dryest season here. I like to prep early. .

8 Likes

JO;

Fun is over? Does this mean you are coming out of retirement??? TomC

5 Likes

Well, firewood prep was what I meant, but you’re right - they want me to start my new work in July as well. Easy to get used to “retirement” :smile:

10 Likes

Another load for the chunker, and we get a bonus 11th maple this year that exploded in a wind storm last weekend, we will go back in 2 weeks for that one when the salvage permit shows up

9 Likes

I don’t think you did that right Marcus. I’ve cut a lot of trees and they always try to find another tree to mate with on the way down.

9 Likes

2 weeks of good burning maple and now I’m back to the Doug fir and yellow/white pine pallet wood. 2 hours of chunker wood on the ground and more pallets to de nail still, chunker must have been getting lonely outside, I had not ran it in almost 3 weeks

10 Likes

Marcus, if you were a little closer, I would deliver you such a fuel pack for your new V10

Interestingly, the cargo contains as much energy as 1500 liters of gasoline (400 gallons).

13 Likes

He only has to come a couple thousand miles east and I could fill this up for him.

12 Likes

The temperature dropped to 60F (15.5 grad) and allowed us to sneak a load of wood to town and in the basement, without breaking a sweat. We are having 40mph wind gusts.

5 Likes