Wood supply

Hey there Wayne, if you were a polygamist, you could run a trucking company. Would you get a video of that beautiful auto length chunker? Thanks, Doug D.

No oak here but it’s almost impossible to find easy splitting wood in my stand. :fearful:

Jeff

hey guys I have been doing some elm stringy stuff you bet but I just cut cookies and use my 4 way on the splitter ide do a video but don’t want to here the lectures or get the stumpy jokes. but I find this works nice not as many fine mixed in and the spliter runs at an idol only moving the ram 2-3 in its fairly fast.

Paul I personally would like to see a video of your process. I have trouble visualizing cutting donuts thin enough and then chunking with a wood splitter, even a 4 way. I see no reason for any jokes or derogatory comments if we are being presented with something useable to us. I am requesting.TomC

3 Likes

I agree with Tom…Like to see the process…Thanks

Yes me two . I like videos

ok guys here is a couple of videos 1st on a run through the 2nd one the splitter is running so no talking but these were cutting cookies like herb just with a chainsaw . I normally do this in the woods it does make a lot of shavings but this tree was close by and a elm hard and stringy it was blocking my panels so I dropped it last year and the vines took over almost forgot about.

1 Like
3 Likes

Something like this would split a bunch of cookies in a hurry! Perhaps scaled down a bit.

Or search youtube for kindling machine, for all kinds of cool semi automatic splitters

1 Like

The next video that came up for me seems like it would be a lot better. :slight_smile: It even removes the fines.

I was eyeballing those videos there was another fellow on this site that made a 8-12 way head I tried but no go lots of broken stuff and packed head .its hard to give each chunk space and still keep the rig together.

1 Like

Some interesting ideas in this machine…

6 Likes

That is the best I’ve ever seen.

I think that was the best home made one I have seen beyond whole log autoprocessing. It moves a lot slower then most people want, but he was -very- conscious about safety. The Grapple/winch just put it over the top. If you want to nitpick it, I would say the trailer floor needs to be a bit lower so you aren’t throwing wood up. And the splitter should fold out of the way for unloading.

1 Like

This stuff is free. Is it too small?

Those flat lattice strips when cut into 3 or 4 inch pieces will have a good chance of gluing themselves together in the hopper with tar unless it is mixed good with thicker rounded stock I think. It would make good charcoal though. It does look like there is a pretty good mixture of shapes and sizes though. I believe I would try it. Can’t beat FREE.

3 Likes

Hello Robert .

Free is hard to beat !!

If the wood is too small for the gasifier and it doesn’t come up to a good temp there may be a possibility of making tar. If so you could narrow your restriction ( higher temp ) to compensate for the free small wood :blush:

4 Likes

Chunks from stumps!
Some good looking wood chunks being produced in the first few minutes of the video:

2 Likes

What does a week of 90+ temps say to a woodgasser?

“Better get more wood chunked…”

5 Likes

Looks mighty fine. Glad it’s working good for you.