Wood supply

We have had a few days of dry weather and yesterday was able to bag wood straight from the pile where it has been spread thin .

I didn’t have a chance to burn any wood yesterday but the son bushoged about three hours after school .

BBB

4 Likes

While I have slabs from the sawmill already on the tractor forks it is a good time to go ahead and make fire wood out of them.

1 Like

looking good wayne, its been dumping rain here the last 3 or 4 days.

WOOD , WOOD, WOOD !!

This is a picture of a bulging wood pile a few months back

Wood pile is gone .

The wood has been burned , bagged or in the dry .

Starting new pile .

8 Likes

You’re going to be hurting when your kid goes to college!

Here this might help! :slight_smile:

You might be able to do this:

50lb unlabeled onion bags are 22c ea. probably cheaper used. And the last one, has a band to hold the bags on so you might still be able to use fertilizer bags.

6 Likes

Thanks Sean .

Neat videos !

Wife has no college plans :grin:

3 Likes

I could look at pictures of chunked wood all day and not grow sick of it!

…that you know of. :slight_smile: I think I see an ag engineering degree in her future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have been busy saw milling this week and trying to chunk the slabs and strips before they dry .

Doesn’t take long to work up a sweat . The temps have been right up around 100 all this week :frowning:

6 Likes

You make me feel like a slacker, I think I had 15 bags ahead, and used 12 of them all ready this week. :fearful:

2 Likes

@Wayne when did you add the vertical feed to the chunker? That double-duty chunking goes pretty quick!

That cylinder on top to feed stock automatically is new isn’t it? Could we get a shot of the “stop” for the auto feed? And how you modified your anvil for it.TomC

1 Like

Nice top feed Wayne. That’s the first time I noticed it. Problem is, you won’t need your arm rest.
I don’t envy you with the 100 degree heat but am envious with all that available wood. Looks good!

Wayne here’s a video I took the day before my surgery. I actually had to change clothes once from being soaked with sweat. Same as you but on a lot smaller scale. The video is the second trailer load. The first trailer load only took 4 days to dry in this heat. Its all bagged and ready to go. Also had a nice breeze blowing which helps promote drying. Wayne spills more than I can make…LOL

9 Likes

Bill, It’s a real honor when the professor Wayne uses your Idea. I guess we’ll have to get a steel band for your head to keep it from swelling too much.
Gary, I see how you are! Wayne has his woman shoveling the chunks. Since you have a loader, I see you’ve let her do the chunking while you scoop up the chunks.

1 Like

Good morning Carl .

I have more wood than I need but I hate to see it waste so I try to chunk as it comes off the mill and before it has had time to dry .

Hello Brian

" when did you add the vertical feed to the chunker? "

February or early March , I do remember Chris was here in March and I ran it by him but didn’t get a chance to demo.

Hello Mr. Tom .

The chunker has gone through a lot of trial and error over the last ten years with most being error

The chunker actually started out as being top gravity feed.

I found some pictures May of 2006 . It worked good using small edging as fuel and I used this for a couple years, but I got to where I need more fuel than I had small material. I made the manual shoot where I could control the bigger material being chunked .

Below are some pictures I took this morning . May be hard to make heads and tails of it.

The anvil is two pieces of rim with the cutter rim passing inside it enough to chunk and cut any string or small material.

The stop is adjustable and tilted in the direction of the rotating cutter so as to dump the chunks and clear itself for the next cut .

The ole chunker looks pretty rough but still doing a good job .

Thanks for the comment Mr. Bill ,

This ole chunker has a lot of catching up to match yours. It seems like I just start cutting or welding without giving a lot of thought ( trial and error ) but your chunker was given a lot of thought beforehand . I could park my chunker at the scrap yard or my junk pile and it would be camouflaged .

I still have to have my arm rest for the bigger material . It is a back saver!

Hello brother Gary .

Hope the surgery went well.

Thanks for the video . You and the wife have it going on . Keep up the good work and send us some of the breeze .

Hello brother Andy

" Bill, It’s a real honor when the professor Wayne uses your Idea. I guess we’ll have to get a steel band for your head to keep it from swelling too much. "

I don’t know anything about the professor part for me but do know Mr. bill has got it going on.

I just wished I could build a machine that looked as nice and performed as well as his . Also I think he deserves a little head swelling after seeing his demos at Argos . .

Thanks
Wayne

7 Likes

@Handy_Andy, although I am pleased with the chunker I built, there’s no way I can take any credit for something new. I take information I gather from other folks, welded some metal together and give it curb appeal with a rattle can. I comb through these threads everyday to feed my brain, hoping something will stick.
Wayne, whatever I have “going on”, I owe to you, Chris and the DOW community. I am really grateful for this forum.

5 Likes

Thank you Gary for the video. I think you started off showing a picture of a oak log you had. Then you went on to telling us how you dried your chunks. I have been wondering how you got the log to chunks. Lots of work I’m ready for a nap just thinking about it. Cutting the log into chunks, splitting the chunks into much smaller pieces that for a fire place, then chunking and finally drying and bagging. I have been limiting myself to small limbs for the chunker. The other day I walked through the woods and found several dead oaks that are standing dry and ready to come down. After seeing your program, I am almost wishing my trees weren’t so dry already. They are much harder on the chunker. Can you put a head on your splitter to split the chunks into several small pieces with one pass. TomC get well soon.

1 Like

Tom that is something I have been thinking of building for the splitter. If it was nice straight oak with no limbs it would probably work, but any pieces that had limbs growing off it would probably not work. I think it would .just take to much to push it through. I watch a lot of videos on you tube of guys splitting pine and aspen and it seems the wood almost falls apart as soon as it hits the wedge. You know how the oak and elm splits, push it all the way through and then have to finish pulling the stringy pieces apart by hand sometimes.

Yes Gary when my second thought caught up with my first thought, I realized you are absolutely right. Are we the only people who split oak? Like you say everyone else just taps the wood with a hatchet and it splits right straight to the end.TomC

1 Like