Wood supply

There is a way of peasant farming that integrated trees into the equation. Then one day our highly educated people traveled to this 3rd word country to show them how to become more efficient farmers and make more money. By removing the trees and what ever worked to make them more efficient, for a few years. After that their farms failed and they had to get jobs in town.

6 Likes

WPWB
Wood Powered Wheel Barrow

13 Likes

Hello JO .

I see a lot miles and smiles in that picture :grinning:

4 Likes

You ought to know how many people I talk to think that is what we burn in our vehicles. They ask how far we can go before we have to throw another log in. If that is the case, you could come to Argos with that load! :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you, Mr Wayne!
There is something about wood that makes you smile just looking, touching and smelling it. The miles are an extra bonus - like a topping of cream :grin:

Mr Don,
If only hybrid vehicle ment that the Rabbit was seaworthy I would stack a bit higher on the bed, bring bowsaw and hatchet, and go for it :smile:

2 Likes

Some Volkswagens are!

The Beetle at least floats:

5 Likes

All kinds of creatures coming out of hibernation.

Those hemlock limbs make nice firewood.

4 Likes

What a friend I have.!!! The other day I heard someone coming up my driveway. Here came Richard in his truck pulling a 25 ft. 5th wheel trailer with a flat equipment deck. It looked like he had gone out behind of his barn and loaded a bunch of scrap iron on it to take to the scrap yard. But, he didn’t stop at the house. He yelled out the window that he was going up to the woods and kept driving. I got my warm cloths and followed. By the time I got there he had unloaded a skidsteer from the trailer and was lifting a wood splitter off the deck. Along one side of the trailer was about a 30 ft., what looked like a set of steel steps that you could walk up to get to a cat-walk around a big machine. It was on edge, so he flopped it down flat on the deck. All along the stringers on each side he had angle iron bolted on as a track. He used the skidsteer to lift a small Hudson band saw over onto the tracks. He leveled the trailer using the landing gear on the trailer and he was ready to go.
For the next few days we cut the logs into fire wood and split them while stacking them down to the house. We did have one gnarly limb that was 2 ft in diameter that was a battle to split. To heavy to load on the wood splitter. Had to cut each piece of fire wood lengthwise into 3 pieces to lift. Then it had to be split from one end and turned around and split from the other, then take a hatchet and cut the strings that held the two piece together.
Finally, done with that and most of the firewood, he went on to the sawmill. He went into the woods and found a dead oak tree, that was standing with all the bark off. He dropped it and got a pair of log out of it that amounted to about 20 ft by about 20+ inches diameter. With those two logs and one he kept out of the firewood pile he started cutting 2x2’s. I was totally amazed at how "hard’ that center wood was and how heavy with water despite the bark all being off the tree. I am now concerned about what this wood will do to my chunker. I have chunked 3 in limbs easy but these stickers are really going to be tough.

Thank you again Richard
TomC

9 Likes

We have a saying: “Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.” Translates something like: “You can´t wait too long for a good thing.”
I remember hearing about those 2X2s when I first joined DOW a couple of years back. Congratulations and happy chunking.

3 Likes

I think our saying is " patience are rewarding". TomC

1 Like

bought a place out in the surrounding area of the city this past December. Log house with detached garage with 40 acres wooded. Mostly trembling aspen (poplar) over story with pine/balsam under-story and black ash in the wetter areas. The trembling aspen has reached its usable life and is need of harvesting to allow the pine/balsam to come up.

the house has an outdoor wood furnace and indoor stove x 2 with backup oil. So combined with my hungry dakota I have alot to wood to cut so have been making some tools to help with the job.

band saw

log tongs

trailer has walking axles and the dump box is removable so it can be used as a log hauler. The carage, boom assembly, and log bunks can all be adjusted by moving up or down the middle 2x2 rail. I have since added more capacity to the dumpbox by extending the box out over the tires.

21 Likes

Great job Dustin. So glad you were able to get out in the country, and with trees too. Looking forward to your adventures. I like the equipment you’re building.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pictures Dustin .

You have been busy !

3 Likes

Very impressive builds

You are a craftsman

1 Like

Outstanding equipment!

Aspen is one of my favorites. But, it doesn’t hold nails so good. Ok if nailed through into something like hemlock for example siding. Glues well. Light weight. Sands well. Grows fast, as you know.

1 Like

nice dustin lots of projects going on there and that’s a beautiful house .

Nice going projects Dustin and i like your wood reseve wize investment.

Hello All.

When running my dakota on pine fuel I expect to get 50-60 miles from a hopper load . When running on my hard wood I usually get 70 -80 miles. Coming back from Argos Sunday morning running Ron L. kiln dried hard wood and cruising nonstop around 55 mph pulling a small trailer it took me 115 miles until the hopper gauge said add wood :grinning:

I think I may have hit the hybrid mode one time but doubt I used more than a half mile worth of gasoline on that load.

Thanks Ron. I had six sacks left over when I rolled up to the house .

10 Likes

I still cant get over how well rons wood performs breaking the 100 mile hoper mark is my dream. glad you didn’t have any problems wayne.

1 Like

What kind of wood and how dry did Ron provide?

That is an awesome improvement

2 Likes