Wood supply

Hello Chad .

If the wood is spread out thin and it is summer it will take less than a week .

I have been sawing timber to rebuild barns and while the slabs (waste) are still green I run them through the chucker. About every 3-4 days I will load a 20 foot trailer with the chucks and pull it in the dry then bag, store and reload the trailer again for drying.
I look at the pile from different angles and try to estimate the mileage it would take me .I think I can make the trip to Argos (700 mile apx) and not miss the wood from the pile.

HWWT

Very Nice!
Question… How does ideal with nails?
I have 3 pickup loads of construction waste, nails in.
Got some slabs to do as well…
Good time of year for wood!

Good Morning Terry L

I think if you have an occasional nail it will not be noticed . It will go through the burn tube and work it’s way around or through the grate and end up in the char/ash. If you are putting a lot of nails in the gasifier the nails make contact with each other in the hot spot and weld themselves to each other. It will eventually look like a bird nest of nails and will clog the grate area. Depending on how many nails you have in the wood it may take a few thousand miles for the nails to create a problem . If you run the gasifier low on fuel the bird nest can be retrieved through the fuel hopper with a hook , post hole diggers or maybe even a strong magnet.

I have pictures of the bird nest of nails welded together somewhere here on the web site . I think they are somewhere in the builders section . I will search for them.

HWWT

Howdy Mr Wayne,
Thats got me thing about how the Chunker itself would deal with nails?

Hey Wayne…just saw your video.Its Amazing.
I am trying to buy a mill to cut woods but can’t figure it out where to buy one.Can you suggest a better place.?

Hello Sunil,

Thanks for the comment.

There are a lot of small companies that build small sawmills but I have never compared or researched very much. I originally built this mill to be portable but set it up for a shake down and logs got to coming in at a rate that I never got a chance to tow it to my other place so I made a shade over it and it has stayed put.

One word of warning if you are operating a small mill there may be enough waste ( slabs ) daily to drive a couple thousand miles that must be dealt with!!

HWWT

Hi Sunil B.
At the risked of being hissed, booed out of the loosly joined circular mill circle for a bought out mill to try and dulicate Mr Waynes bandsaw mill look here:
www.NorwoodSawmills.com
Variety of models capabilities with a good user reputation. Many if thier models come with bolt togather induvidually peice by piece replacable deck/tracking systems. On a weldup mill figure on having a torch set and welding repair capabilty for the log setting onto the mill “equipment” “wet foot slipped on the clutch” O-o-opp’es accidents. Ha! All Band’er guys and cicular guys have to get the actual logs up onto the mill deck. Do you have a tractor ot loder big enough to do this? Not asking. Informing. Ha! I did not.

Regards
Steve Unruh

I hadn’t realized it but the chunker was pretty dull. After just a quick lick with the grinder it works like a hot knife through butter.

The son and I chunked wood yesterday afternoon and this morning. I think we added about a ton or more to the pile. (Green weight)

Chucker doing good!

Hello Peter C. Henry A. Chris and others,

Sorry I missed the hangout last night but I did catch some of the recording. It was mention if one has access to trees or cord wood and no saw mill for preparing the wood what route should they go. Most have or can build/buy a wood splitter to split the wood down to the size the wood chucker can handle.

Below are some picture of a hickory tree that was blown down and I put the entire tree into chunks with maybe the exception of some big knotty pieces that was used for house heat. In the back ground you will see a trailer load that was chunked and also the limbs.

If one can get the fire wood pieces down to about two inch blocks he can use the wood chucker to split them in small enough pieces for the chunker as shown in this video

This video shows this afternoon bagging chunks that have been spread thin and in the dry for a few days.

More pictures show after bagging the wood going back to the outside wood pile and loading the trailer and putting it back in the dry. Part of the load is spread thin so it will dry and be bagged and then more of the pile spread thin to also dry and bag.

We are finishing up one of the outside piles and a lot of debris is mix in but will use in the gasifier anyway. With all the bark and debris it might require the shaking of the grate more than usual.

The last couple of pictures show spreading the wood thin and a few days without rain I can fuel the trucks or bag the wood from the outside pile.

HWWT

Hey Wayne,
I’m new to the forum, have read your book a few times and planning to start a build soon. Right now I am trying to get a workshop ready and looking for a '92-'95 Dakota. I remember on one of your videos you said you have tried burning Privet hedge in your gasifier, is it a useable fuel source? It seems there is an endless supply of Privet Hedge on my farm here in Central Mississippi that needs to be cleared so I was wondering if I should chunk it for future use in my gasifier when I get it built?

Hello Mr. Graves and welcome to the DOW site.

I haven’t used a lot of privet hedge but that is because I have none on my farm and have been covered with sawmill scrap. ( pine, oak, popular,cedar) It has been a few years but I remember no issues with the privet hedge as fuel.

Thanks
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne for your quick reply and welcome! I have 80 acres of land here so in addition to the privet hedge that needs to be cleared there’s lots of fuel in the form of pine, hickory and oak tree branches that have fallen so I should have plenty of wood to chunk without cutting any live trees. Now I’m more anxious than ever to get started on a build!

I split wood yesterday and was planning on getting the below pile of wood chunked before dark but I ran out of gas.
Not in the trucks or tractor but me.

SWEM

Wayne, you probably better start eating a little sawdust with your beans so you won’t run out of gas so quick!
Don M

Hey Don,

A few hours in the 90/90 ( 90 degrees, 90 % humidity ) I look and feel like I have been wrestling alligators in their environment!!

Chunking wood.

http://youtu.be/Cd6ZJbq5bfM

Content removed by author

Yes Henry ,

That is a lot of wood. The picture doesn’t do it justice , bigger when you can see it first hand. Chris had seen the pics but when he walked up to the pile WOW.

I don’t need or have time to deal with the wood chunking right now and rather do it in the winter BUT the wood handles so much better green vs dry.

Just last week I had a tree close to the house that was lightning struck and after keeping a couple of good logs for sawing there was still enough limbs and cull wood to run a vehicle 2-3 thousand miles .

HWWT