Woodgas videos from around the world

At the paraid and fair today, saw this and thought of Don and Marcus.
Definitely not wood powered! :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

There is about 300 guys up this weekend wheeling, there was traffic of trucks and trailers for miles this morning heading the mountains some big meet up going on

8 Likes

Señor Edmundo Ramos uploaded an English subtitled narration of his trip around Argentina. It’s hard coded to the video, so no worrying about Google translating.

11 Likes

Thank you it was a great video and ride with you both. I like how you title it. Driving on wood waste and water. Totally eco-friendly for everyone.

7 Likes
10 Likes

interesting gasifier, thanks hans for the video…
interesting the big wood pieces…
and upfiring with a kind of pan…
who knows more details?

7 Likes

I think this was some kind of computer generated imagery. I don’t know much about wood gas systems but what I do know says huh.

11 Likes

l have been thinking all day about this video trying to make sence of it. Im not saying its fake but Tom your post sure got me thinking… what time we live in, we need to dubt even the most pbvious things…

14 Likes

for what reason one should make a fake about a gasifier driven car???
to earn some money with you tube clicks it would be enough to post a old woodgas video…
there on the forum was a post from a australian system with big wood pieces for fuel…

or the boys have taken fathers car without knowing how it works exactly (youth, mostly desintersted…), they only knew that it is feed by wood, have taken the next best pieces from stovewood nearby, and the end of the story i let to everyones phantasy…

12 Likes

All I get is a black video screen, and it will not play.

2 Likes

Strange. Visit YouTube and search for “Wood gas car from 1940s, Haarlem the Netherlands.” It’s on the Vibrant History channel.

The fuel, super clean install, how he manages to not burn himself picking up that pan with only a set of pliers, it’s quite the mystery.

6 Likes

Hey BobMac, it plays for me.
First shown is a guy putting THREE ~12-14" wood stove splits in the top of a conical shaped hopper.
Then he is shown match liting oil-soaked paper combustibles in a lower pull out tray at the very bottom of the gasifier system.
Then city streets driving around.

My opinion? A tightly edited, composite video just to promote woodgasification as a “possibility” for vehicle usages.
You, WK, anyone with a built, and settled, ran-in WK system could set up to do this exact video too.

Below the grate liting up.
A few big chunks of wood thrown in on top of an already established char bed and a layer of torrified wood chunks.
Ha! Ha! Have to hard metal poker break up those heat burnt wood splits later!! Off camera.
Then condensates drain. Off camera.
Ash scrape out accumulations. Off camera.

I actually like the physical configuration of this systems. It could be practical useable.
The up; over and across; tubed cooler bar and size of the piping says to me this was a real works capable system.

This video no more deceiving than the fellows who were throwing snow balls into their race car monorator hopper.

Steve unruh

11 Likes

We have seen this video before and later additional information was added, I just don’t remember when or where.

4 Likes

I got the video to work. Very interesting lighting it from the bottom at the grate. That’s one way to clean the small charcoal fines out on a WK Gasifier is to light it at the grate, per Wayne.

5 Likes

While looking for a more original source of the above video, the AI in the Bing search engine found this one for me (I didn’t even ask…) can’t remember if this one is commonly seen?

10 Likes

Thinking about it, Mr Steve is probably right here. Its probably a propaganda video, comercial. Oversimplifying the art of driving on wood for whatever reason

8 Likes

i think also steve as a always sharp critical analyst is right…siplified woodgas use adverisement video…an when people install a unit on their car, they detect the fuel must be cutted and chopped in little pieces…

film from mike, this is a real gasifier, and the driver a real woodgasser, always with the pipe in the mouth…

8 Likes

I try to avoid political debates, discussions about conspiracy theories and unidentified flying objects… I prefer to think about the actual possibility of using larger pieces of wood in the gasification process. Mr. Wayne told a long time ago how larger pieces behave in the gasifier and how smaller ones behave, also the size of the hot zone and the storage tank must be adapted to the size of the wooden pieces, so that they have time and conditions to convert into gas, otherwise there will be jamming, larger voids and the burning of coal in the glowing zone, the consequences are known to everyone. This sketch of a gasifier from Australia is, in my opinion, just a nice drawing, but in reality this will not work, there is no drainage of excess water, air is supplied only in the middle, where there will be a void, and raw wood will remain next to the wall, … if we want to turn large pieces of wood into gas, it is necessary to have a large and heated storage tank, the air for the pyrolysis process must be supplied along the wall, because in the middle the pyrolysis process is ensured by hot gases that rise due to radiation from the hot zone. Let’s say that we have achieved this pyrolysis effect above and also removed excess water and thus obtained charcoal in larger pieces, it is now necessary to ensure the smooth sliding of this charcoal into the hot zone below without narrowing the diameter, and here again we need time for these pieces to turn into gas, so the hot zone must also be quite large, I won’t talk about the lower nozzles, brushing the grill and preheating the air,…
Theoretically and practically, it is possible to make such a system, but it will be quite large.

8 Likes

Tone, @Wayne , he did make a larger WK Gasifier with the larger fire tube area. I will let him explain the results on that truck WK Gasifier system.
But with the secondary lower nozzles it just might work better than it did. I do know the Gasifier was a lot more expensive to build.

6 Likes

Tone, l may be completely wrong but l seem to remember there was a topic on this site about this Australian gasifier. I think this scech was made by the inventors son and it did work. The trick was firewood peaces were stacked verticaly so that they wuld not bridge, and l suspect also the voyds acted like “chimneys” for hot gas to rise and precarbonize the logs before they even reached the nozzle area. But l do agree, the central nozzle is not a good design and this thing wuld work much better with a ring of nozzles.
Also, l cant imagine hot reloading the gasifier. All the hopper smoke and heat isnt the best enviroment you want to neatly stack logs in :smile:

10 Likes