Woodrunner chevy

Kevin, he made a skeletal frame out of stainless rod/thick wire to help the stainless mesh hold it’s shape and not collapse from suction. There’s some pictures a little bit ahead.

This is a hot filter, if everything works well he might not need a hay filter.

3 Likes

Going slowly forward, to slow, i think, and now where changing to the stupid wintertime here, gets dark an hour earlier.

I improved the filter some by welding two washers in the top, to act as lifting eyes.
The filter are some hard to lift after it “seated” due to bumps in road and like, i had to make a noose out of steel cable to lift it.

Filter in place, temporary lifting handle made of wire.

Lid in place, now to start with the lower mounting for the gasifier, i wish it wasn’t so cold and wet on the ground…no fun to crawl under the truck…

11 Likes

Goran I’m honestly amazed that even with the Swedish winters that the radiator you made is sufficient for that Big Block.

You use mostly metal tubing to run to the engine though don’t you?

2 Likes

Yes, metal tubing all the way to engine bay, even on summer gas temp seldom rises over 30°c (86°f) just before mixer, of course the big filter cools the gas also, when gas leaves filter i want it over 100°c (water boiling point in c) if gas reaches that temp just one time every trip im happy, knowing no condensation left on filter.
And, my engine are actually a “fake-bigblock” it’s a 400cui smallblock, not the best gm made i believe, but with 6,6 liters it leaves good torque on woodgas.
Also for interest: on my old Volvo i had no radiator/gas cooler at all, just metal piping over the roof, it run even cooler with gas at 25°c before mixer.

9 Likes

With cooling tubes on the roof or the sides of the bed of the truck, this allows you to not a have radiator but you still need a place to collect water in a tank before the engine intake. The radiator seems the most compact way of doing this. But both work very well.
Bob

6 Likes

Almost done with the gasifier lower mounting point, had to work in the dark, and rain, but i really wanted to get it done.
Now it’s just to drill two holes for a big clamp-ring i saved for this.
Bad thing i had forgot my big electric drill outside, water running from it when i picked it up :roll_eyes:
Promised wife to not use it before it dried good, 240volts, outdoors, and no ground fault interrupter…

Here’s a bad wiew (crawling under the truck, in the dark) of the “sideways mount”.

14 Likes

Goran I’ve been thinking about your issues with the Modulator in your TH4OO.

Typically it’s connected to Manifold vacuum, which under gasifier operation as your throttle is opened more and more, your vacuum lowers i.e. gets closer to 0 or equal to atmosphere, the modulator thinks you’re in a higher RPM so it shifts more firmly as if it had to force it’s way into the next gear.

You can buy Vacuum T connectors, and I think if you added a vacuum tap before your woodgas throttle or above it, maybe in between the air adjustment and the throttle, it would overpower the manifold vacuum during woodgas operation.

Branch this new Port tap to your Manifold tap and have them both run to the Modulator. Maybe run the T very close to the modulator so they’re less likely to bleed vacuum from each other.

During gasoline operation your woodgas throttle is closed and doesn’t add anything to the modulator, Manifold Vacuum will determine the modulator’s shift hardness. All the modulator sees is whatever source has the highest vacuum.

I could be entirely wrong about this, I’m no expert on vacuum balancing, call it a gut feeling.

If postage wasn’t so expensive I’d mail a new vacuum motor to you, I grabbed a few that the Parts Department had to throw away due to being “old stock”. But then you’d have to add some sort of Throttle Position Sensor to dictate the motor.

2 Likes

Hi there Cody, fun you remember me asking for advice about the transmission, myself, had just forgot about it again :roll_eyes:
Good suggestions you put up, my thoughts right now is im gonna find a electronic vacuummeter (i have one somewhere), and when the truck is up and running measure what difference in intake-vacuum, woodgas vs gasoline, if that gives some results i can maybe read the vacuum at other points, and “find a sweet spot”?
I’ve also looked around my “good to have” stuff, and found some vacuum reducers, vacuum boosters, and other stuff.
Do you have vacuum modulator on the transmission on your new truck? Ofcourse i will share the results if i come up with something good.

5 Likes

And a little update: all the mounting points for the gasifier are done, it’s steady as a glued rock.
20221109_210531
“Ring-clamp” or what im gonna call it? In place.
20221109_210547
Going througt the old angle iron fasteners.
Now it’s “just” some piping, wiring, leaks, and a little more, ofcourse it’s going to rain this weekend…

9 Likes

Yes I have a vacuum modulator in this truck.

There are some very very expensive cable operated modulator’s. About 400 dollars. It’s very niche for Diesel Swaps and for Supercharged engines.

3 Likes

There you gave me an idea Cody!!! My truck had a 6.2 diesel in it before, it has same transmission and modulator (modulator replaced, but had exactly the same number, both diesel and gasoline) the diesel engine had a small vacuum pump and a valve controlled from accelerator linkage, that would mean i could probably use a valve like that (i may even have saved that valve) to regulate the vacuum for the modulator?
I must find my workshop manual for the truck and read some about it.
Note: the vacuum pump on the diesel was only for controlling transmission, brakes uses hydro-boost.

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Only issue is it’s still determined by how open the throttle is. It’s shifting harder than the engine requires. But maybe you could modify it to only work that way in Woodgas Mode. Tee off Manifold for Gasoline and Vacuum Motor for Woodgas.

3 Likes

I was wrong the cable operated modulator was 218 dollars.

In my year range, the vacuum motor operated everything and went where a Distributor would go, spun by a gear on the camshaft.

2 Likes

Got some stuff in the mail today, i’ve been looking for thermocouples with long wires for a while, and had to order some cheap ones from china.

These are 5meters long, and with some plastic hose for extra shielding i think they will hold up just fine. Type-K, measures -88 to 1292°F.
Not perfect accuracy, but good enough.

Im going to mount one after the filter, the different ones i’ve used before haven’t work.
And probably mount the other in the hopper.

This is my “thermo-reader”, used it some 6years, works very good, though i only paid 12$ on Wish, has 4channels, alarm, background illumination, memory. Only drawbacks it shuts of automatically, has to restart it once in a while, and it only takes K-type thermocouples, i’ve tried other types, and the measurements becomes wacky…

10 Likes

Ok, so… now it’s most small work on the chevy, gas pipe between gasifier and filter in place.

Stainless bolts on the flanges, stainless are prone to seize in threads, so a good tip is using beeswax to lube the threads, nature often offer’s the best solutions.

Here’s the valve for the flaring stack, this i’ve “automatisized” opens when start up blower operates.

The flare valve is controlled by this: inside this old thermos-flask is an old cordless drill, which i cut off the handle on, operates at 12volts.
In the drill-bit holder is a fully threaded rod, wich opens the valve.

New gaskets for the pipe, some red silicone for extra safety.
The material is not “asbestos free” it’s rather “free asbestos” from an old supply.

This is whats going to give me some headache: this is a control box for blower, valve, and some other stuff. I forgot to disconnect some wiring when lifting of the gasifier, the wires just “ripped” loose, out of the box, altought i did all wiring myself i’ve had a hard time remembering where every wire goes. (I’ve also had the bad habit to never draw a schematic of my wiring if it works at the first attempt)

This wiring boxes are intact, black box contains toggle relay for blower. Small black cylinder underneath is a ignition coil for the flare stack.
Blue box is a remote-reciever for remote start-up, (old one, used to remotely control loading ramps on box-trucks)
Yeah, i know, lot’s of unnecessary “luxury features” ,electronics that can give troubles, but, as i said before, i tend to overcomplicate my builds, and everything is easy to “manually override” so no problems to use it even if something fails. :smiley:

15 Likes

Haha, that’s funny :rofl:
I appologize for not paying you a visit yet (which I talked about long ago) See if I can manage before Christmas. I’d really like taking a look at your rig :smile:

12 Likes

You are very welcome JO, i hope i can get the time to build a wood supply, so you can “refuel” here. I’ve just realized i have NO wood at all, (and firing up getting closer) only got some wet, rotten chunks, time to start collecting wood, i believe. :smiley:

9 Likes

Göran, I checked and it will be a 520 km roundtrip to Motala and back home. That equals about 13 bags. 2 in the hopper and 11 inside the car. I think that would be doable. If I leave wife behind (or store her on the roof-rack) I could even utilize the passenger seat for fuel :laughing:

11 Likes

Ha, that reminds me of my first trip to Dala-Järna, i loaded 13 bags, (60liters) and expected to run on gasoline if i didn’t make it home.

There was also alot “cruising” in Borlänge, where we visited, and stayed overnight, at wifes aunts place. (Going shopping at Kupolen)
When back home there was still 6 bags left… :smiley:

13 Likes

I would put some coil over shocks on the back of that for helper springs and build a cargo carrier like this. This one says Erickson so it must be Swedish.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Erickson-Cargo-Carrier-with-Fencing-500-lb/1002869386?user=shopping

4 Likes