Woodrunner Volvo's

You have some great ideas going on! It needs a viking helmet though. :slight_smile:

trash

11 Likes

Well, if i turn them gas-pipes upwards, it’s almost a viking helmet? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

I thought about that, but I heard that the horns turned up wasn’t actually historically accurate. I also thought about long blonde braids, or just leaving pipes polished or maybe chromed. I think it depends on the helmet :slight_smile:

Just imagine having to follow your vehicle for an hour on a narrow road with that paint job! )

I actually did it because I swore I could find an ancient statue from somewhere with some resemblance, and google wasn’t helpful. And rather then spend an hour trying to find something… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Haha, yeah now when you say it, i seem to remember seeing some statue looking like that, but maybe in Hawaiian or African culture.
And the horns wasn’t accurate at all what i remember, there was no proof vikings had horns on their helmets, but maybe the celts had helmets with antlers?

6 Likes

Göran, I really like the twin outlets.
On another note - I’m sure you have considered, but what about weight distribution? Will there be a counter weight on the front bumper? :smile:

8 Likes

Thanks to you Sean i got an idea: im going to name this the Viking Gasifier.
I like project names, “woodrunner” was my project name for the Chevy, before i even got the truck.

8 Likes

Haha, no JO, the weight distribution is really messed up here, i have to live with that :woozy_face:
I plan to put stiffer springs in the back, and C-rated tires, then just take the turns easy.
I tried to “drift” some with the old blue volvo, very interesting, almost like the VW beetles, rear end first, down the ditch :roll_eyes:
I get good grip in the winter though.
Edit: drift with woodgas? You can drift everything if you just get the speed up enough :smiley:

10 Likes

7 Likes

With my weight distribution i may weld some sacrificing steel in the bottom of the gasifier, would be cool to do the first “woodgas-wheelie”

9 Likes

I can help you with that easily, I’ll sit in the trunk :smiley:

7 Likes

Building pic’s :smiley:

Testing the hopper, to see if flange holes lines up.

I needed an ignition port, and got an idea.
Jerry can’s are only practical in war, not to pour from, not to store fuel in…
A good ignition port, fast opening, not threads that seize, can’t loose the lid.

How to cut this, half filled with stinky old rotten gasoline? Well, ventilate it when cutting, with compressed air and no explosive mixture may take place.

Cut open, and as you can see im still alive to snap the pic.

The idea to paint jerry cans on the inside was probably good until we got ethanol in our gas.

Start to assembling. Flange sealed up with stove-pipe sealer (1500°c) inner, and rtv outer.

Next “layer” here i try a glue/seale (ms-polymer) used to glue together modern cars. I tried a propane torch to it, and it seem’s to withstand a lot heat.
Im using this here because it withstands the wood vinegar, acetic acid, which rtv don’t like.

A little paint needed.

Ignition port.

Hopper juice connection visible.

Ill probably need the wire-wheel brush to get my hands clean…

20 Likes

Great progress and a clever ignition port

Pouring rain here so a bit of clearing up in the garage today for me. Having much less fun then you

13 Likes

Very close to rain here, but the wind! Garbage cans flying! And we have the big four compartment bins!
Now i give up for today, well, maybe some tinkering in my basement shop :smirk:

15 Likes

dr. göran, the stove pipe sealant…also useable for motorhead gaskets???
nice work and innovative as always

8 Likes

Hi Giorgio, i don’t think the sealant work for head gasket, it’s basically water glass (sodium silicate) with some filler, graphite i think?
But as you mention this, i got a feeling i’ve heard something about repairing engine blocks with water glass?
Maybe?

8 Likes

I couldn’t really rest, i needed to go out in the stormy weather some more :roll_eyes:

I got the old lid with rim in place, it rests on a ring i welded inside the fuel bin, i put some sealant on it, and fixed it with 4 screws around the circumference.
I don’t want that heavy cast-iron piece get airborne, if i get a real “boom” explosion :grimacing:

20 Likes

Seriously, it is looking good!!

I am excited to see how you very securely attached the license plate fitting in with the 3 eyed viking pig motif. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Goran, kudos to you for sticking to your creative style, when things are put together, a work of art is created, after all, the appearance is very important, with which a person identifies himself, well, I won’t mince words about the functionality, because the unit contains all the features of a good gasifier, I can’t wait for the video and the report when that Swede comes with
“big” camera. :+1:

12 Likes

Goran,
It is really neat having someone with a gasifier junk yard in our growing DOW circle. How unique is that.

14 Likes

I was wondering how you were going to get that gasifier in the trunk of the Volvo with out cutting the back end out of the car tunk or compartment. I like it , it has the WW2 old Embert look to it hanging on the back of the Volvo.

10 Likes