Woodrunner Volvo's

On the inside of the hopper there are a lot of small holes in the wall. Is it for gases recirculation from the top of the hopper for cooling and removal of tar juices?

4 Likes

Hi mr Bob, the roof cooler im going to put on a pair of roof ski-holders, it becomes like a cargo rack (not by purpose, but i probably try to load some chunk-bags on it anyway)
Yes, the row of small holes is for steam circulation, the inner fuel bin is lower than the outer shell, so there is spacing all around in top.

11 Likes

This is a great thread Goran. Im getting lots of inspiration for my V8 Landrover Gasifier build. Its a long wheel base with seats for 12! - I think that I might fit a gas proof bulkhead behind the second row of seats and install the unit inside the rear compartment. Bring the gas to the roof through one of the back small windows for cooling in a roof rack and run it down the A pillars on both sides, like twin air snorkles, and in through the std guard top vents. Will 1,100mm headroom inside be enough?
Alternatively- It once had LPG so has a hole in the rear floor. I could run the pipe forward under the car and have the cooling in the bullbar?

9 Likes

Thank you Stu, it feels great if i can inspire someone with my junk builds :smiley:
I think that Land rover of yours would be a great candidate for woodgas, i would consider shorten the cab, leaving a bed about 1-1,5 meter in the back, would be great for gasifier mounting.
Are you going charcoal or wood by the way? If wood you should get the WK book, lot’s of good stuff, even if you don’t build a “true” WK gasifier.

11 Likes

Ok, so the volvo is inspected today, and road legal for two years, had to lift of the gasifier to avoid trouble with inspection.

About 10 minutes to lift of the gasifier, same procedure next inspection.
It’s back on again, now it’s time for filter and stuff… :smiley:

22 Likes

Slabbed on some paint on the gasifier today.

Bottom part i used some leftover high-temp woodstove paint, look how well the “antracite grey” matches the sun-faded bumpers :rofl:

Fuel bin is painted with ordinary “hammerite” black.

19 Likes

Goran, what is the clearance under the gasifier to the road?

8 Likes

Hi Bob, it’s about 8-9 inches clearance.
Looks a lot less in the pic’s though, because of the car standing in a slope.

10 Likes

Is that with those stiffer springs or with the stock springs?

7 Likes

Whit the reinforced springs.
I’ve tried it around some, and it hasn’t hit the ground yet, time will tell.
Im going to measure again tomorrow, i got a feeling it may be more than 8-9 inches.
If i get problems, next step would be trailer-pulling springs from Volvo 245, it is possible to fit them on a 740 also, lifts 60mm, and very hard.

11 Likes

Car matches the dog. good job. If that’s tree sap or leaf staining on your paint job I have cleaned it with WD40.

7 Likes

It looks good. It just isn’t =quite= how I had imagined it would turn out. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have used “Turtle Wax” brand “Bug and Tar Remover”. Worked good on old silver maple sap turned gray on a white Nissan (Datsun 210). lots of “elbow grease” required. :grin: [It is basically polishing compound in a mineral spirits base].

7 Likes

Thanks for a good tip Tom, i will try wd40.
I’ve used diesel fuel before, works great, but it needs to be the low-taxed, sulphur, stinky diesel.
The stuff from the pumps here just makes that mold/sap grow greener :smiley:

7 Likes

Hi Sean, it would be fun to hear how you imagined it would turn out? As i don’t know myself how this build would look, it’s fun to hear others opinions :smiley:
After all: This is just a “build-along-with stuff available” :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Hi Mike, where i worked before i was able to “borrow” stuff from my friends at the car reconditioning, they gave me a proffessional product called: Tardis (TAR DISsolver), worked extremely well, really a “spray on, wait and let work, rinse off” product.
Actually it worked like in those ridiculous fake commercials :rofl:

7 Likes

I don’t think i have ever talked this much about washing cars :astonished: as im a “non-believer” in washing my cars, the nature use to fix it for me (rain) :rofl:
And, maybe, i like to upset the car snob’s on the parking lots? :woozy_face:

Well, this “mold” or whatever the greenish, slimy stuff is called has to go away (when it disturbed my friend long enough), im going to try my homemade turpentine.
Next test: white spirit, next: wd-40.

12 Likes

Goran,
When I was young, I cleaned my cars. Now that I am an antique, and moved to a home on a dusty, muddy, gravel road in the boondocks, I don’t bother washing them. We just got a nice cream-puff car for the family from my mother’s estate, that one will get washed. My go to work cars get dry-brushed so I can see out the rear window, and others can see my brake lights! :cowboy_hat_face: Dust, like Rust, never sleeps. :see_no_evil:

11 Likes

I am the same way, the last five cars I have owned have never got a bath that wasn’t rain or puddles :smiley:

6 Likes

Ahhh. Come on guys. With all of the trees pollens added to the dust I/we have to wash vehicles at least 2-3 times a year to keep them from growing molds and moss.
That damn moss will pop trim; spread windows and door seals then causing leaking in. Then those water leaks make the interiors into a molding, spotted, mess.

Hot, hot water. Actual, car washing soap. With a bit of chlorine bleach in it.
Putting off the 2-3 times year quick washes . . . THENS when it gets hours scrubbing the grown on grunges off.
S.U.

8 Likes