Woodrunner Volvo's

I wash my vehicles at the very least once a year.

Keep an eye on your door-jambs especially along the pillars and hinges. Leaves and pollen tags stick in there and will invite rust via humidity and rain, or clog the door drainage holes with the new internal gutter systems.

My trick as a Detailer to remove road tar is to just use some gasoline, old or new. It works the fastest and doesn’t fade modern paint as long as you still have a healthy clear coat. Wash the car to remove the dirt and then rub off the tar after spritzing a little gasoline either on the rag or on the affected area.

Also if your headlights plastics are fading or yellowing, just buff them with some compound. Don’t spray that magic snake oil junk or DEET bug spray.

8 Likes

Around here there is so much dirt in the air , when it rains your just cleaned wash and waxed car is dirty again. Lol. I have grown custom to the dirty, bad paint car look on my vehicles.

7 Likes

Well, my guess about road clearance wasn’t so bad with 8-9 inches, i measured today and it was 8 1/2 inch, and now it’s parked so rear end sits some lower.

14 Likes

We actually have some huge salt mines in Michigan. Miles and miles of them. I guess they needed some reason to mine it so they decided to opt for rusting out cars and trucks. Under carriage pressure washing is as important as oil changes around here.

11 Likes

Tom, after the pressure wash and let it dry, then comes the oil spray under careage treatment?

11 Likes

Ok, no time for chainsaws or stationary engines now, full speed ahead to feed the Volvo wood…

This old shopvac i saved many years ago, cutting a piece of it for filter housing.

Volvo trunk, the filter is going to rest on the “box-beam”(?) I cut a hole right behind the rear wheel, the soot collecting box goes there.

This is going to be the soot collecting box, stainless because of it’s exposed location behind the wheel.

Getting the shopvac and soot box together, the box ends up off-center because of the available space, and the d*mn “box-beam” (what do you call this sheet metal reinforcements?)
Lot more welding than i expected (good thing welding is FUN)

The bottom of filter container sloping to soot box. Hope this will work :smiley:

16 Likes

You never post some of your video’s. Luckily I’m subscribed so they just come up.

12 Likes

For the location “boxed-beam” is O.K. language.
Car body stamped steel and spot welded-in reinforcements and stiffeners are named often for location, and purpose.
Sills; channels; pillars.
Door interior crash intrusion made-ups are called beams. Under plastic front and rear facia’s are bolted on made up actually sheet metal bumper “crash” beams.
S.U.

5 Likes

Thank you SteveU, the technical language can be a pain to translate sometimes, can’t really trust google translate, because it tends to favors “popular” meanings.

3 Likes

Todays progress, filter and plumbing coming together.

Filter housing welded.

Sits nicely in the trunk. Observe how nicely, well fitting i cut out the lid :woozy_face:

Soot clen out, the ground clearance is better than it looks in the pic.

I had to re-think the piping, cut and fit a 90° elbow, to get a tangential fitting, close to top of filter.

I also build a electrically controlled blower valve, inspired by Kevin, i bought some cheap actuators on amizon, they looked bigger on the website, but are really strong.

Asbestos gaskets softening in hot water, ofcourse i stepped in that bowl later.

Some layers of heat resistant paint inside the filter housing, tangentially gas inlet visible.

This 60 liter drum is going to be the inner wall of the filter. It got some layers of protective paint also.

Inner wall drum tack-welded in place, and sealed up with rtv, clearance between inner and outer wall is about 3/4".

Painting inside and outside of filter.

Filter housing just sitting on this old glass-fibre blanket.

In place in the trunk.

Some while ago i had the luck to get this stainless “screen-printing” screen, 4 and a half meters, 1 meter wide, cutting in two for the height.
Now im making a “cage” to support this screen.

19 Likes

Göran, even if I didn’t know it’s obvious this is not your first build.
You’re getting close :blue_car::dash:

11 Likes

Things realy get serious once you perform surgery on the car itself. Great job!

11 Likes

Thanks JO and Kristijan, yeah, no turning back now :grin:.

Bonus pic’s: filter cage in the beginning, one heck of a job to bend and fold this net :face_exhaling:, almost 9 meters.

19 Likes

Did you make a jig to do it or did you just eyeball it by hand?

7 Likes

I just used a piece of flat iron as a “ruler” to bend the net against, not perfect, but good enough. Just some bending/adjusting to do, when i secure the cage against the gas pipe.

11 Likes

That’s coming along really well. I agree with JO, this is obviously not your first build. The details and layout are proofs of that. How many have you built?

I thought of using those linear actuators for my build to open slide gate valves, but I hadn’t thought of using them for ball valves.

7 Likes

göran, expert work, thanks for the dokumentation

how do you fix the upper and the bottom edges of the filter?
before i have made my dust trap in the filters, i thought about how to make larger the surface of the filter net…theoretically…
on the bottom and top a metal disc, there welded on a double walled “star,” maybee 1 cm high, between the walls enters the filter net, and the grove is filled after or before placing the screen with the red glue…this would make the whole construction stable, i think…

6 Likes

Great job and progress Göran, this shows a predetermined plan and sticking to it. I usually need the thinking chair much more as I change my mind / evolve the plan often during any build at the cost of time.

10 Likes

Hi Bronlin, i believe this is my fourth “complete” build, then there are re-builds and experimental builds along the way (and un-finished builds, and not working builds) :smiley:

14 Likes

Hi Giorgio, im going to fold the mesh around this star, and double-fold the ends, and / or glue them with red silicone, and staple them together with stainless staples.
I will post more pic’s along the process, easier to explain then :slightly_smiling_face:
I think this is a good way to make filters, it’s hard to believe this gets a surface of about 4,5 m2.

15 Likes