Woodrunner Volvo's

Haha, the “predetermined plan” (long words you found :rofl:) is actually a “living” plan, that comes together, or not, or changes fast.
The ones with some “chemical unbalance” in the brains know it all…
When i went to school there was no ADHD, or “learning difficulties”, you just was a “slow dreamer” or had “ants in your pants”
I was a little of both :roll_eyes:, sometimes it feels like i can’t keep the speed my builds comes together, i fall behind, :smiley:

16 Likes

You make me want to go into a long rant about how schools are designed to homogenize kids into functional citizens. I’ll contain myself but learning difficulties generally mean you are operating outside accepted parameters and cannot adapt to zombie training. Pink Floyd “The Wall” videos. Explains much.

11 Likes

Tom, l got kids in school at this time… since we take a lot of care to give them propper education at home (the real important stuff not just ABCs) l think they are just fine. But 99% of people do not. They trust their child 100% to the school sistem and thats horible. Goverment raises your child and ofcorse they do it to their liking.

Also its a great way get people used to enslavement. Not only kids need to spend 8 hours in school, they also need to get homework done. Wife and l just this week pasively agresively told school that we expect school to do the scholling but leve us the hell alone in the afternoon and weekends. We se how it goes.

13 Likes

Some more pic’s

Filter cage, the pipe doesn’t protrude all the way, the cage supports itself.

My fingers hurt after working with this net.

Putting the mesh on the cage, boring work.
The ends folded and stapled together.
The ends in center against pipe is going to be glued/casted gas-tight with red silicone.

Ran out of silicone, start with the plumbing, this shows the “predetermined plan” hmmmm, how to connect this, to this?

The gas cooler doesn’t look that discreet that i imagined :smiley:

Now when i think about it, i should placed the filter to the left in the trunk, gas cooler “mirrored”, and the gas in on the right side of engine compartment, where there is more space available.
But problems are there to be solved :smiley:

18 Likes

Maybe too late, but if you put the cooler under the rack you will have room for a roof box and enough fuel to reach Borlänge :grin:

9 Likes

Haha, i thought about it, but fits better this way (a little over dimensioned pipes, what i had on hand)
And i hate roof boxes :grin:.
But really the plan is to put some bags on the cooler, it for sure is sturdy enough, some in the trunk, some in the backseat (on the sides of the dog)
That would be enough for Tidaholm 1st of june (Niklas).
And the same load this summer maybe, Borlänge :smiley:

10 Likes

Maybe you’re influenced by Billy Opel’s roof box song :smile:
Unfortunately Johan and I aren’t going to make it to Tidaholm the 1st of June, due to work. We will have to stay put and feed the boiler.

6 Likes

That was sad news, work often encroaches on free time…
Billy Opels song is spot on, i can’t imagine how it is in your place of Sweden, where there are some hills to ski down.
I have enough of those Audis and Bmw’s driving like idiots down here :slightly_frowning_face:
Not to talk about when they come to work, and i can’t lift their cars all the way up because of the damn roof boxes (we have light ramps hanging pretty low at work)
Enough complaining now :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Some more pic’s

Bottom of filter “cartridge” i haven’t come up with any better/nicer solution, than just seal it up with a blob of silicone. There is a stainless disc encased also, for stability.

I hadn’t enough piping to connect filter to cooler, i was missing about a feet, and it irritated me, i couldn’t really come to rest on the sofa, so, i decided to make my own pipe.
Stainless is pretty “unbending” :face_exhaling:

15 Likes

I didn’t realize you lived so far south from me that your flowers were already in full bloom :smile:

16 Likes

Johan,
That was my first impression, too, before I realized what I was looking at.

14 Likes

Johan beet ne to it :smile: great job.

10 Likes

To determine your filter area needed did you follow Dutch John’s recommendation or was it Vesa M’s? It seems like Vesa uses a lot less surface area that DJ required for his Volvo.
DJ’s rule of thumb is: 1.5x(Engine Displacement)=Xm²

Though with his Volvo’s Displacement his ideal size would have been 3.5m² but he ended up using 2.8m² of fiberglass cloth.

5 Likes

Hi Cody, on this build i just tried to stuff all the fine mesh i had available, in the filter.
I ended up with around 4 m2, which should very good for the volvos 2,3liter engine.
The formula i’ve used before was the work of Maxgasman, i’ve searched but can’t find it, i have it written down somewhere.
I believe Dutch John used Max calculations too? They are based on “load” per square of the fabric/mesh, if a factor in calculation is “so and so”, the filter becomes self-cleaning, it drops soot easier.
Vesa uses smaller surface filters, and they need to be cleaned from time to time.

8 Likes

Here are some easy formulas by Max, filter area amongst others Toyota Corolla Charcoal Vehicle Gasifier Project - #50 by gasman

6 Likes

Thank you Johan, the formula doesn’t look the same, but i’ve tried it some now, and would say it gives the about same results, but much easier :smiley:

6 Likes

Did you buy the book of Niklas, Göran?
Wondering if their version of the filter cleans easier than the filters we made?

5 Likes

Yes, i bought the book, much interesting stuff, but i think their filters are on the smaller side, but thats just me, i prefer big area filters, that runs very hot, has worked surprisingly well for me.
Im really curious about how my new volvo filter is going to work, i believe no trouble when im driving to work (gravel road) but maybe gets clogged on longer trips on smooth road?
About the SMP’s filters i want to find more information about them, i believe they was made by Industrifilter ab?
Needed to lift the filter cassette to brush clean.

6 Likes

Yes, what I’m surprised about is that they were able to drive over 2500km all the way up to 4500km before cleaning.
I think they had 4.6m to 6 liter engines.
I’m testing mine now, have driven about 1000km, and it’s around 65mbar at 2000rpm, so no problems driving so far, and clear water in the condensate tank, I like that.

8 Likes

That sounds promising Jan, i hope that filter serves you well :smiley:

5 Likes