Woodrunner Volvo's

Getting closer…

Need to route the gas down into engine compartment.

As Kristijan said: no turning back when performing major surgery…
Cut out a piece of left fender.

Cut a hole in inner fender, only the power steering container is in the way.

I had this nice hose in my spare parts. Secured with cable ties.

Where the hose ends, a condensate collector is going to be mounted. The power steering container sits nicely on the hose, just going to secure it with some cable ties.

Gas line from filter to cooler, going to mount it with a piece of heat-resistant silicone hose.

Built the hopper juice collector from some scrap stainless.
It got Wayne’s patented tar-settling feature.

I think i deserves some rest now, it’s like summer here :smiley:

Well, not much rest, i got company, walking around upon me…

20 Likes

Sooo close :+1:
Wonderful youtube today, Göran. Your pics are great, but the video even better.

11 Likes

Thanks JO, i haven’t posted them here because they’re only in Swedish (im a little lazy) going to make some international Youtubes when it’s up and running :smiley:

14 Likes

Got some occasional spare-time after work.

Gas outlet after filter, there is a risk of condensate running back from the cooler, and i don’t want it in my hot/dry filter, so i make this water-catcher. From the thin pipe im going to connect a hose down to a bottle in the trunk.

The pipe from filter is going to enter about an inch from the bottom of the water-catcher.

Top plate welded.

Filter lid got a cast-in-place gasket the other day.

Today lid got some paint.

Flanges, one for water-catcher, one for filter “cartridge”

Filter cartridge almost done, glued.

Filter flange got welded-in studs, when filter cartridge is ready, this flange is going to be welded to the filter pipe.

18 Likes

Ok, sorry for all the pic’s i dump on you :smiling_face:
Here’s how it comes together:

Filter is sealed up. The small dots of rtv is to avoid the mesh chafing against the filter container wall.

Flange welded on filter pipe, filter lid in place, gas outlet bolted on.

Filter cartridge.

This shocked me, when lifted in place the pipes lined perfectly, and i had built them separately :smiley:

Silicone hose to avoid “stress” on the piping, and act as a joint.

Next step: up front, this stainless pipe fits perfect as a water-catcher.

Making a lid, gas intake pipe, when gas changes direction, and goes upwards and out, it should throw of it’s water, maybe? :slightly_smiling_face:

Gas outlet with shut-off valve, i turned down the end of the valve in the lathe to make a hose fitting.

19 Likes

My net went down, so, it continues here.

Building the condensate collector/water-catcher. I forgot about the beam holding the radiator, so, had to cut out a piece :roll_eyes:
The small pipe is the drain.

Well, i made it fit :smiley: (with correct amount of force)

Water drain under front bumper.

Some tinkering to make the valve controlled from drivers place. I had to sacrifice some “universal joints” for sockets, now i can turn the valve with the rod.

The rod goes through the firewall, little tricky to get all lined straight (and not drill through any wiring under the dash :zap:)

Handle to the right of steering column.

Thermocouple for gas after gasifier.

Hopper temp thermocouple.

Gas temp after filter thermocouple.
Here the black hose going to a red plastic can is visible, this is for catching any water running backwards from the cooler.

So… now it’s “only” the gas/air mixer left to build. Wo-hoooo!
I have absolutely no idea how im going to build it yet… well, if i sleep on it…

21 Likes

I think that would be very uncomfortable Goran and I think your wife would miss you in your bed. Maybe you should just mull it over or chew on it awhile perhaps with a little hot sauce.

I’m sorry. I put in a hard day in the garden and now I’m tired and talking foolishly. :crazy_face:

9 Likes

really nice work göran !!!

12 Likes

I don’t know how you find time to sleep! :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

So close :grin:

When looking around for gas mixer parts i found this, never used, it was certainly something to brag about, if you drove with original Imbert in the 40s.

I decided to make my own valves, i had the luck to find flaps, axles and pipes that matched perfectly.
But how to drill perfectly in the center of a pipe when you don’t own a proper drill press?
I tested this i saw on youtube, worked nice.

The valves come together pretty good.

Had to make two of them, and weld them back together in “series”

Welded in a piece that stops the flap from turn over fully open.

Welded back.

Too tight to weld around the gas pipe and air pipe against the “plenum” , had to cut it in half, and weld from the inside.

Welded back the plenum, and some light hammering to get it back to round shape.

Some tinkering to get the push-pull cable to the manual air control. The other valve is going to be controlled from throttle.

In place :smiley: some old radiator and intercooler hoses re-used.

Was even able to close the hood without sitting on it :smiley:
Close to light up now…

19 Likes

Snug fit, Göran. I like it when I know what I’m looking at on under the hood pics :laughing:

I was thinking the same when I built mine - why didn’t I utilize all the empty space on the exhaust side of the motor :laughing:

15 Likes

I found it way better to start converting the other way around. First do the plumbing and valves then the gasifier in the end. Whenever l did gasifier first, the test fire got me to eager to start driving and the plumbing was slopy.

Point l want to make is you sure dont have that problem Goran, wery nice precise work.

Im not totaly sure thugh of your layout. Culd you explain? Specialy the throtle cable thing…

14 Likes

Yes, why 2 vents on the air?

7 Likes

Hi Kristijan and Jan, the mixer setup is like this: the pipe close to engine is woodgas.
On engine manifold the original throttle is working as normal.
On pipe close to camera there are two valves/flaps, the one close to plenum is going to be controlled via engine throttle, in that way it closes when throttle closes, adjusted to a somewhat rich mixture on idle/low load.
The second valve flap is controlled by a lever at drivers place, this is for choking the air at load/ full throttle, as normal on woodgas.
Why this setup? Well, with only a manually controlled valve, when you let go of the accelerator, there is some underpressure in the woodgas system, this wants to go back to atmospheric pressure and therefore fills front parts of woodgas system with fresh air, backwards via secondary air valve, this may lead to stalling or missing.
This is for sure more cumbersome to install and adjust, but i really like its “driveabillity”.
By this not said it’s a must to use this, i know other systems work well without it.

17 Likes

Home after work today, i couldn’t wait any longer :smiley:

Putting in some more charcoal and fill up with fresh wood.

Fire!

Fire in the hole, takes some time first light ups.

When the gas would light, i started up on gasoline, and tried…

Test drive, sluggish acceleration, but no trouble reaching 100km/h :astonished:
Feels like it can do more, need to experiment with ignition timing. (Fixed/ standard setting now)

Water condensing after cooler.

I’ve missed that smell :yum:

23 Likes

Congratulations, Göran! I like it :+1:
I’m not familiar to all your buttons, but remember the Volvo will syphone quite a lot without the pump - just saying. Maybe one of your switches already kills the injection.

13 Likes

Thanks JO, yes the right switch kills the injectors.

11 Likes

Congratulations Goran. You are sure not wasting any time.

I noticed this in your video.

I’m guessing that is your fuel pump rehostat shut off? Is it wired to switch the live wire or does it switch the negative?
I’m still in search of a dimmer for the fuel pump on my truck.

9 Likes

Hi Bronlin, this is a cheap pwm module i got on Amizon, if i remember correctly it would do 40 amp’s max.
This one has no common ground, so i split both wires back at the in-tank pump unit, this gives i have 4 wires between dash and tank.
The left “toggle switch” underneath the pwm module is a 3-position, 2-pole switch (first position: as standard, fuel pump relay to pump.
Middle position: all shut off.
Third position: pump is powered by pwm module.

Unnecessary complicated maybe, but i like to tinker with wiring, and it’s nice to have the option to by-pass the pwm module, if it stops working.

As for now i haven’t testing any hybrid driving yet, but my experience with the pwm controller is it seems to work fine, don’t run hot, good “tuning” of the pump (possible to lower the pump until the car just stays alive idling)

Edit: the 3-way switch also gives me the option to by-pass the fuel pump safety relay, which can be a source of trouble on some old Volvo’s :smiley:

14 Likes

Busy day today, no time to drive on wood, first we visited a nearby county fair, after that a trip to visit my mother (it’s Mothers Day tomorrow in Sweden), on the way home we stopped by some friends.
I couldn’t really go to bed without any woodgas work, so did some minor “improvements”

I put in a carbon monoxide alarm, my wife apreciates that :smiling_face:

I also put this old sign on the dash, it’s a warning sign for the dangers with resting in the car while start-up blower is running.

And some black smith work, i realized i had no poker rod.
All round bar stock i could find was stainless steel, no fun bending a handle with that.

My first attempt forging stainless steel, pretty stiff even red hot.

No work of art, but will do for me :smiley:

19 Likes