2015 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 29-31

Hello Doug,

The Kansas event was a small one, but a good one.

Met some great folks and developed lasting friendships.

That’s pretty funny Doug … We did have a get together up at Bruce Jackson’s the year before Akron. I drove most of that trip on wood. That was the trip where I found out that my truck was sucking fuel up from the gas tank with the fuel pump turned off. I wired a switch to the injectors when I got home. Andy was there (on his Harley) and Mike A was there. It was over 500 miles for them over the bridge and only 410 miles for me. I think there are some videos on Mike’s youtube page (kb8ooe) ?? there are maybe a few on Bruce’s youtube page (Budasdad) ??? We took a group picture as we figured it was the first woodgas gathering in the USA … Bruce cut a lot of wood on his H tractor with the flat belt driven buzz saw and tilt table. He ran it on one nozzle of the 4 for that meager task. He just put bolts in the holes on the other 3 … His wood was mostly maple and damp so it was a good thing I was running hybrid on the way home but I still had to re-load the hopper every 50 miles or so … ML

IF i can get the truck fixed up before argos, and get the bugs shook i will try and get there, still gota do motor swap or head gaskets, get wood chunker, get wood dryer shed,Pay my property tax,finish gasifier few weeks away.Will see how lucky i can get all done.Or may be next meeting,THANKS SWEM.

Mike, thanx for the vittles! ~ Sarah Leigh

Look at the tents in the background … Thanks for the pic … ML

Cross linking to this thread:

Topic summary, Argos will be May 29-31, and several folks said they’re coming. Andrew Heath offered to make buttons.

Yes, it’s a donation-based event. We take up a collection at the door (we’ve done it in advance too, depends on treasury funds).

Bring something to eat and something to show / share. Main dishes will be provided, but more’s always welcome. I’ll be updating the first post shortly with some more details.

I have been trying to make it to Argos for several months now. It depends on getting my gasifier working. I will not drive that far on gasoline. I can only drive my truck work and back on gasoline. I am working on the heat exchanger right now, though, and I just need to finish that, then finish the cooling rack, the condensation tanks, and then put it all on the truck. Should take two weeks…

Keep after it Brian. It is a lot of work, but well worth it.

I’ll be there with a charcoal Wheel Horse or two. I’m going to bring some stuff I don’t use any more, hopefully find a new home for it. No camping this year.

Jeff from PA

1 Like

Getting close! I have my map and route all planned out. The total trip is 177 miles so I plan to bring about 300 lbs of wood or so. (depends on how well my char bed has settled in) A little extra “just in case” wood. My wife and I are going to drop the kids at granny’s house and take all country back roads the whole way, on wood. We have not had an adult trip like this alone since our kids were born 6 years ago. I marked out all of the refueling points along the map about every 50-75 miles or so and they are all before any urban areas to avoid a scene by rubber-neckers passing by. I am going to be bringing some extra bags to give away while I am down there. They hold about 15 pounds of soft wood and 25 pounds of hard wood. 20 Bags of wood 1 way ain’t bad at all! I will be coming from the Lansing Michigan area.

3 Likes

I didn’t see on the rsvp form a place for number coming, such as family etc. Head count in usually needed isn’t it?

Thanks for the reminder. Added.

Chris after filling out the rsvp form there was a link to see who has already responded, and there it lists the e’mail, phone numbers and everything. this was a different listing than the on linked above on the thread.

Thanks Andrew, I’ve turned that one off.

If anyone has an extra firetube they wanna sell, ill buy it… I would like to start making a spare.

I’m keeping my extra, but they may have more where I got mine. Next time I’m there, I’ll check.

Hi guys…just thought I would let you know that my step dad and most of all a best friend passed away last Thursday. He was on the battleship USS Perkins and worked in the engine room. He said when they would fire the guns you could see the asbestos particles in the air when it shook the ship. The asbestoses finally took him down even though he was in excellent shape for a man his age, he just could no longer breath. Some of you will remember that he and my mother made the trip to Argo’s last year pulling the trailer full of wood for me. He really enjoyed being involved in helping me build my gasified truck and being involved in the trip to Argo’s was something we all will never forget. He was so glad to meet the all the guys in Argo’s. Still to early to know if we will make it this year but will try to if possible. Truck still running good over 8,000 miles on it. SWEM.
Gary

1 Like

Hey Gary, nice to hear from you but very sorry to hear about step Dad. He sounded like a great man and am glad I was able to meet him last year. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I sure hope to see you this year at Argos.
Take care,
Bill Schiller

3 Likes

What Bill said I think goes for all of us who met him at Argos last year So sorry for your loss. Hope to see you again soon.

1 Like