89 Chevy 454 to convert

Hello in new here. Been researching this for a little bit. I have an old truck i want to add a gassifier to. I thought beforr i do that i should build one for my generator first. I have a 4000 watt dewalt generator. I have 2 14" diameter x 30" long old compresser tanks. I have some fire extingishers about 6" in diameter for the burn tube. Not sure if up down or side draft is the way to go. Any pointers woukd be appréciated. Im kinda stuck with no money for gas so i need to get something going so i can move out of state. I think if i get

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Please don’t tell me you mean the FEMA gasifier.

Edit: There’s a lot of ways to run that 454, and if you absolutely can’t afford Wayne’s book you could go Imbert style. Free but takes time to research the build.

https://woodgas.nl/GB/diy.html

Here is an excellent guide on building an Imbert style downdraft gasifier. The guide references FAO 72 and here’s the link to that:

6 Likes

HI there ROBER,ROBRULE,WELCOM TO DRIVE ON WOOD. I BUILT 2 WK gasifiers from the book, and both worked great, one I put in an S10 6v truck the other is in my v8 Dakota truck.I think the WAYNE KEITH gasifier system is your best bet for the 454, since he has a v10 dodge he has successfully been driving on wood about 13 years,and many miles. so the 50,00$ for his book is priceless in time and material savings alone. Though for the small generator i have no experience other than to run the generator on strait charco, from a charco gasifier, would be the best way to make tar free system, for small engine setup. ALSO with the book you get to watch the video of the gasifier being built for first 6 months free.

8 Likes

Welcome to the site Rob. If you are going to build a gasifer for the 454 just sign up for premium and build a WK. As Cody said, you can probably build an Imbert after a LOT of research but The WK build is step by step and proven to work on an engine that size. Also it gives you access to a lot of highly valuable advise from other builders. For the generator you are just going to want an updraft charcoal like a Gilmore simple fire or one of Matt’s designs from the Thrive off grid thread. No fire tube complexity required.

8 Likes

You will want to run this on charcoal rather then wood. They are simpler gasifiers and get you started.

I would suggest getting the book. It will save you more then that in time doing research. it doesn’t mean you have to build that particular gasifier but it gives you a firm basic understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

whatever you do build, do not build a FEMA gasifier. They were designed for emergency situations out of common items and generate lots of tar that gets in the engine, For short periods of time like hurricane type of situations it is better then nothing, but this isn’t an emergency, and we want you to be successful.

And welcome to the site. :slight_smile:

8 Likes