Argos 2020 Planning

I would like to see a later date as well. Like Tom just mentioned, this would give more time in fair weather for build completions.

3 Likes

As far as events goes, it would be perfect for it to be anywhere between June 10th and 19th. Otherwise it can be pushed off even more. Summer break for school starts around the 8th or 9th of June, so basically anytime after that could be easily worked out. And I really do think that I will have something by then, I just need to start with reading all about it. I was thinking of doing a fema style gasifier, what do others think about that? Just use for maybe a generator to start.

3 Likes

Burning charcoal in a Simple Fire gasifier may not be as romantic as wood, but will likely be more satisfying than experimenting with a FEMA.

5 Likes

Ok, I think it would be cool to run a mini bike or something on chargas because of the smaller gasifier needed compared to wood from my understanding. In the premium section of driveonwood are there simplefire gasifier builds? I am going to purchase the wk book and lifetime membership anyway, and I think it would help a lot to get more visual representation. I looked at the plan for the simplefire gasifier, and I cannot understand how to parts would look or go together. Thanks, Tyler.

3 Likes

Later dates work for us, or earlier. those two weeks, end of may beginning of June are always hard for us because we have all of our biggest events of the year then. But we can make anything work.

2 Likes

Tyler,
Here is the location of the thread starting about 7 years ago.

There are 398 postings, with plenty of photos and links to YouTube videos.
It is located under Small Engines and then Charcoal gasification.
I recommend building a TLUD outdoor cookstove as a good way to start accumulating small pieces of well-done charcoal.
Just click on the blue letters after the green G.

4 Likes

Thanks ray Menke, will do.

2 Likes

Gary Gilmore’s 2-barrel system can be built with two smaller sized containers. metal 5 gallon buckets or even 1 gallon bean cans. I like that system better than the t-lud for char production. Nothing against the t-lud, we teach a version of the t-lud also…as a cook stove for refugee camps. Just another option that is good if you are looking for a char production method…it is a good one to try.

I am interested to see what you come up with. I am planning to steel Jakob’s walk behind tractor charcoal project if I have time and health enough to do it before I go to africa this year. I ordered a cooking pot with a glass lid this week to use as the gasifier tank. I hope to be able to demonstrate the gasification process visually through the lid, assuming it doesn’t just smoke up like a glass fire place door. It shouldn’t on char alone.
I’ll stick that in the charcoal projects section if Jake doesn’t already have a thread there.

Anyway, glad to see another young guy with interest like yours…Keep it up. Billy

Sorry, just realized this is supposed to be an Argos Planning thread. Sometimes these things are like letting youtube run overnight. You never know what you will wake up to.

We could stand to do something a little later. Maybe in the mid or late June. But like I said, it all works for us.

3 Likes

Sorry to bump this back up tot he top, but did we ever make a date for 2020? I have to do some planning for some other events and would really like to get a date on the calendar if it is possible. Is it still too early to do that or could we pick something?

2 Likes

Any date is OK with wife and I :grinning:

2 Likes

Whenever I pick a date, someone is unhappy with it. I just want as many to be able to attend as want to. The date has to work for the Lemler’s, and the fairgrounds must be available. Tyler G. requested a later date, and that seems to be favorable to most, I guess we are always going to be in heavy farming season. I don’t want to have it in July or August, too hot, and competing with other events I like to attend. Wayne, I am glad you are flexible on the date. So maybe around June 13,14, or June 20,21 weekends. Just throwing those out there for comment. Does that work for you, Billy? and others?

3 Likes

Those dates would all be outstanding for the North clan. We always have a big training crunch around the end of May and first of June, and then kind of a slow time through June and then we get to heading over seas toward the end of dry season. So PERFECT for us!
but hope it can work for everyone else.

13-14th time is best

3 Likes

OK, We need to get @Ron_L in the loop now.

2 Likes

The 13-14 dates would be perfect as far as other events for school. 20-21 would work as well, just not the best. Just putting that out there.

2 Likes

Hi , I will check on the availability of the fairgrounds for the 12th- 14th of June. This date works fine for us. We will also check on the prices for the new building, it would be very nice if we could swing it.
Ron L.

4 Likes

The new buildiing sounds nice if it is air condituoned. I woonder though, do they really want a bunch of sooty tarry, truck tinkerers in such a fancy place? I feel like i might have to shower and shave before coming in to eat.

11 Likes

Hi ron and famley, timeing sounds good here, i would like too make 600 mile round trip on wood soon, hope too get my newer truck done by then.

4 Likes

Hello Woodgassers! We have the fairgrounds reserved for June 12- 14, 2020. We will be there to set up on Thursday afternoon. This is our plans the Lord willing. Our reservation right now is for the old building. The fairgrounds is still torn up from the new building being built. Hopefully it wont be too crowded if someone else uses the new building. We are sure the fair people will have that all worked out by then.
I talked to the “dark side Gary”, :slight_smile: he agreed to put together a general itinerary for the purpose of informing everyone of demo times and events. We think this will be very beneficial.
I will be bringing wood chunks for anyone coming in on wood.
There were complaints from local residents about people dumping condensate on the roads, we will be bringing 2 fifty gallon drums to put it in. Please use these instead of dumping on roads or elsewhere. Looking forward a lot to this next meet up. Wish we were all young, single and could follow Jacob North to the West coast. Sounds like a wonderful adventure. He will make it!!!
Thank you, Ron & Ronda L.

13 Likes

Thanks Ron and Ronda !!

Yall are the best :smiley:

7 Likes

Some folks may have missed or lost this topic, so time to bump it up. Thanks again to the Lemler’s, there WILL be an Argos 2020!! :smiley:

Once again, we must work hard to leave the fairgrounds, and the Argos area better and cleaner than we found it.
Cat%20Cleanup

9 Likes