Argos 2022 Food

Let’s start a thread for Argos food for 2022 so we can separate it from The event and program planning. Maybe MIke Reynalds and I can post a quick rundown on how things went in the past. I remember that on Thursday we had a hotdog picnic spread for hungry travelers. That evening we did the same with an added veggie and deserts.

2 Likes

Breakfast had coffee, eggs, and pancakes that were a big hit. Thanks to Dan Morre for the use of his flat-top grill. Friday evening was a bigger planned meal. Saturday afternoon lunch was a bigger planned meal with Saturday evening cleaning up all the leftovers.

6 Likes

Erika said that she would be willing to coordinate the food. She does that kind of stuff all the time for big programs.
That is dependent on us still being able to come. At this point we are looking at fuel prices and inflation and wondering if we’ll be able to do much travelling by then. So much uncertainty in all of this…But for now, plans are to be there.

5 Likes

It certainly dont look too good for long distance travelers, i live 275 miles from argoes indiana, and if it gets too 5 buck a gallon/ it would cost about 150.00 bucks/almost twice what it was last year. Though if it stays below 5 buck a gallon, I might be able too make it, My dakota truck wood gas build might do the trick, if i can finish before argoes. Certainly worth more than that though if money is available, I really enjoyed the one meetup i made it too in 2020, Nice bunch of God fearing believers,and down too earth farmers / builders.

3 Likes

Our problem is not so much fuel prices for traveling…woodgas works as long as Ron has enough to get us home, or at least back to Wayne’s place.
My concern is the overall economic situation. It is impossible to have 10%+ inflation, then double the already-high fuel price to $7,$8,$10/gallon and not have it create massive price increases for all tangible goods, followed closely by increases in labor and service prices…Food (especially on the road), hotels, parts, tires, garden seeds, electricity, boots, bananas, Bibles, and beans…Everything is going to cost way more…and the ability to demand higher pay/prices for your labor/products will inevitably lag behind. Or the market for your product may just dry up depending on what you produce.
So, my concern about travelling is not so much about fuel itself…we have plenty of wood,…it is a lot more about general economic stability and recession/depression that is going to be required to reverse this inflation…Nothing else really works to stop inflation except borrowing for war spending…That’s even a worse possibility.

2 Likes

Billy, I talked to Kristijan resently. He mentioned it looks like we managed to catch the last “train” when we visited 3 years ago. I’m afraid he may be right :cry:

3 Likes

The world is changing extremely fast and not for the good of the middle and poor classes of hard working tax paying people who far out number the greedy power hungry controlling rich people that are causing stuffing on the nation’s. Not all rich people are greedy by the way some are very good.
Bob

5 Likes

I am wishing now I hadn’t sold my wg truck I was thinking of a possible charco build on my cj 5 Jeep, with the dakota I could go about 700 to 800 miles on wood if all went well, that would be a hard 1500 mile trip in that Jeep even if i could carry that much fuel

5 Likes

I was not planning on driving it up there just hauling or towing it if I went THATS PROBLIBLY OUT NOW

3 Likes

As far as good is concerned I could bring my pigs in a blanket again I think everyone liked that

4 Likes

Good morning Corey .

Pigs in a blanket sounds real good to me :grinning:

5 Likes

Corey,
They were awesomely excellent! Please, may we have some more?
Looking forward to seeing everyone who can make it to Argos!
Time is flying by…

2 Likes

Not only that ,and they may have too reinstate the draft, if we get too large of a war going, and nato gets into it. Wars and rummers of wars, be not afraid, the end is not yet. He will return too take vengence on all who have not excepted his salvation through repentence, of the sin of unbeleive. Or thats one of two or three the big ones too be dammed by. I probley steped over the politics/religion line.

5 Likes

I am planning to attend the Argos event and wonder if I could put a $ donation in the food kitty as I don’t cook well. Trust me on the cooking. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I attended meets in the earlier years of DOW but never built a gasifier. You may remember me as “that guy that comes with the non-gasified Dakota”. Well, I am now retired with time and motivation to build, especially as gas prices climb and looking at the possibility of shortages. I’m also looking forward to seeing Wayne, Chris, the old members and meeting some very motivated new members as well. Let me know if there’s anything I can do or bring. I have some very heavy duty flexible vinyl tubing, 1-1/4" and 2" (I think) that I can bring along if that’s useful to anyone. I’ve brought that before and it seemed popular. Glad to hear the events are still going and looking forward to seeing the gang and what’s new in gasification.

4 Likes

No offense here Kevin. Keep looking up! The other Kevin.

1 Like

Yes sir thats right, i try too keep that focus, Though Faith as it is written.

2 Likes

It isn’t that dire. We shored up a number of things to protect ourselves against situations like this under Obama’s 2009 Reinvestment and Reconstruction Act. Because what you said is/was very accurate about oil prices rising which chases up prices for everything else because it is too easy to start a war or just run up the price of oil on the market. I don’t see going much above 4 for at least the next 60-90 days. OPEC is going to pump more oil and it takes a bit for that extra production to come online.

The current inflation has more to do with Covid Relief and other expenditures associated with covid. We spend too much in the last couple of years which put too much money on the street which caused inflation. shrugs

1 Like

and what about Sunday? Sunday is my cheat day:)

4 Likes

Annie, Sunday we usually have breakfast and clean up to leave. We usually try to get back on the road (the last of us) by 1pm. Usually goodies leftover in the fridge that they are trying to get rid of before we close up. There usually is way more food than we all eat at every meal. You could make a Saturday night plate to have on Sunday.

4 Likes

I have usually been one of the last few folks to leave on Sunday. I think the latest I have left was 11:30 and followed the Lemlers out the driveway. I may end up leaving Saturday evening this year as I’ve conflicting items for the weekend.

1 Like