Back From The Dead

I have a thing where I keep coming back to gasifiers. I took a break when I didn’t have a car to use but now I think I have a great opertunity. One of my current cars is a Mercedes 240D. Being that it is Naturally aspirated I think that it is a great candidate for a gasifier. I know I would have to add a throttle valve but the ealier versions of this engine had them. I also know that it being a IDI engine that should help shield the injectors as well as if I run deisel as my ignition source it will be constantly cooling the tips at Idle it would burn deisel but the main work would be done with wood gas. It would significantly reduce the amount of fuel needed. And at 5/ gallon I could use some help. Is this sound or did I over look something?

7 Likes

Welcome back Systeminsider I have a feeling that older model Merc is also a very good candidate for running on waste oil , my sister and brother in law used to run there’s on veggie oil new and used , they just had a pre heater for starting the car and once running and up to temp it ran as good as it would on normal fuel , so my guess is that it would indeed run very well on wood gas .
I can still see the vision of my sister at the supermarket pouring in bottles of veggie oil from out her trolley ! lol still at less than half the price of diesel i don’t blame her
Of course the proof of the pudding is try it unless someone else has already tried it and has inside info into it .
Dave

6 Likes

I have ran vegtable oil before, and waste oil the processing space and resources is much more difficult than wood. I love the benefits of being able to run many fuels as well.

4 Likes

Yes i think that is why the model Merc you have is so popular it is a true multi fuel engine .

5 Likes

Around me they are a very popular candidate for both waste veggie oil and waste motor oil, highly sought after and expensive. Woodgas would be cool on another diesel

7 Likes

Some problems may occur, those naturaly aspirated diesels have wery high compression ratios. My tractor has 1:17 and at hevy load, full throtle and rich gas mix it wants to detonate. Your engine has l belive 1/21 so… but defenetly you can easyly cut the diesel at least 50%, you might actualy get more power adding woodgas and for sure cleaner combustiin!

9 Likes

That makes sense, Its similar to adding propane then. Did you add a throttle valve to your tractor?
Also what is the mixer function like?

4 Likes

Yes.

Not sure what you mean? I only have a normal ball valve for an air mixer.

6 Likes