Chainsaw help please

I have a jonsered 2152 c that has always worked great until now. ran it in the morning, then stopped for lunch, and now no spark. I tried disconnecting the kill switch and still no spark, replaced the ignition coil, still no spark. made sure the laminated part of the coil had ground contact, still no spark. Checked the air gap between the coil and magnets, nice and close. The magnets in the flywheel still seem to attract the tip of a screwdriver, but I am wondering if they are too weak or does anyone have a better solution?
Thanks Kent

7 Likes

Check the switches usually there is a safety that grounds out the spark. If you are checking for spark with the plug, the plug itself might be bad as well.

7 Likes

Is your flywheel key broken?
Kill switch wire ok?
The flywheel magnets seldom go bad just so, often shows like starting problem, or misfiring at high revs.

7 Likes

If your new coil came with a new plug wire, I vote for a bad plug.

6 Likes

thanks for the ideas. I reinstalled the coil and now have a spark, but it still will not start. I guess the next step is to pull the carburetor apart and clean it. I hear from the dealer I bought it from that it is nearly impossible to get parts after husky bought out jonsered.
Thanks again, Kent

4 Likes

Hello Kent,
I have had some frustration with chainsaws as well.

Sometimes it floods or gets moisture in the cylinder/spark plug and I wear myself out trying to start it. If I let it sit a while sometimes it will start. If I can’t wait, I have removed the spark plug and heated it with a torch and it started.

More often I remove the air filter and spray starting fluid in the carburetor with the butterfly valve open; this usually works well. I let it run and heat up before I put the air filter back on.

Sea Foam Fuel Additive is a miracle cure for many carburetor ills as well. It comes in an aerosol to conveniently spray or you can add it to your fuel.

I hope this helps.

Jim

4 Likes

Thanks, The saw is 15 years old and I feel I should start looking for a replacement. What chainsaws do folks recommend?
Kent

3 Likes

I have quite a few saws. Right now my favorite is an Echo cs 590. My back up saw is a Stihl 271. I have also done a lot of cutting with a Husqvarna 460. The Echo was much less money than the other two. A little quirky to start.

3 Likes

My chainsaw stopped working one day. It turned out to be the spark arrestor screen on the muffler that was causing the problem. Engines are essentially air pumps, so a clogged air filter or clogged exhaust system is often overlooked.

13 Likes

Hi George , yep always pays to check that little screen , i have been caught out a few times with rough running engines.
Welcome aboard .
Dave

8 Likes

I run on rapeseed oil as chain oil, for the chainsaw, do you think it is as good as real chain oil.

4 Likes

does it get sticky when it dries out? We used to use rape seed oil for lubrication in continuous casting molds for aluminum extrusion billets and it worked very well under the high heat.
kent

5 Likes

I use the saws all the time so it doesn’t dry out, but have noticed that the chains get stiffer after a while, but I’m a bit hesitant, I think I should tighten the chain a little more often, but quite insignificantly

3 Likes

If the chainsaw is going to sit for a week you should empty it and flush the system with some mineral oil based bar oil.

2 Likes

Is Bar oil real expensive in Sweden? This stuff is always on sale where I buy supplies. I don’t know how it compares to more expensive ones but it works fine for me. I don’t know how many gallons I’ve got stored but I went out for supplies today and my wife said if I bring back any more she was going to feed it to me.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/outdoor-power-equipment-parts/chainsaw-parts-accessories/poulan-pro-reg-bar-chain-oil-1-gallon/216072/p-11060051208428126-c-1525269720176.htm?exp=false

6 Likes

In some parts of Europe, I don’t know about sweden, you have to use an ecologically friendly bar oil.

6 Likes

This is probably the cheapest oil about 24 dollars 1.3 gallons.
Canola oil $10.3, but easier to get hold of and healthier to inhale (I think)

7 Likes

Hi Jan, i use canola/ rapeseed oil in 4 of my working saws, i had no trouble with them, if they has adjustable oiling i turn it up some, for more oil, to compensate for the veg oils lower lubrication effect.
Rapeseed/canola doesn’t make a hard crust of oxidized oil, like the bio-degradable chain oil makes.

9 Likes