Charcoal vs. Wood gasification

Duel-Fueling, MattR
Sounds sexy in action, and flexible in useage. Lean and limber. Sleek.
S.U.

4 Likes

Going back to the picture of the swedlund. Where is the nozzle? It looks to me that air is just dropped into the reactor section down to a grate so I’m not clear on what’s going on just below the hopper. . What are the two things in front of the air intake between it and the cooler?

3 Likes

here in brazil we use wood lump charcoal for bbq(or as we call here: churrasco) for the gasifier i think is it okay too

4 Likes

I think with store bought charcoal I would use a downdraft, or cross draft like his video shows. Looking at other videos he based it on a Gohin Poulenc design so that’s a good sign that he did his homework. Mass produced lump charcoal is sometimes not 100% carbonized so a downdraft will eliminate impurities. I don’t have any experience for cross drafts so I can’t speak for them.

What I do know about them is a lot of the nozzles are water cooled. Not too difficult to build, and will prevent your nozzle from burning away in the extreme heat, some even had a way for the eventual steam produced to be sucked into the incoming air to add more power.

5 Likes

Yup but the flexibility side falls toward the dark side. No chip fuel but have charcoal no problem. But go the other away you are in for some pain. lol

5 Likes

Hi Cody, i should look in my “library”, and see what i can find, personally i like the Mako design, i think the improved version was Mako model S, with nozzles like in a wood gasifier.
It was proven to be a reliable design, not very sensitive for bad (tary) charcoal, or moisture, or fuel size, i’d be looking that up some more to se what i can find, thinking about trying a mini micro Mako design for my charcoal gas moped.
:slightly_smiling_face:
Edit: just saw Jan beat me to it.

6 Likes

I have the translated version of Gengas, but the little stuff like catalogues are always a treasure trove of information.

4 Likes

Just to clarify, with the both charcoal and wood, they never intended to do this in the same gasifier. That was something that was tried in the beginning of the woodgas “era” and later abandoned/forgotten, with is a shame, it’s perfectly do-able, and today well proven, i think it’s more of operator mismanagement, because this was forced technology during war.
Edit: just saw that about “only woodchips” i think it was the way it went during war-time, just to tempting run 100% wood in a charcoal/wood gasifier, then blame the gasifier manufacturer when engine tar’ed stuck. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

O.k. MattR.
“Charcoaltier Plus”

As Gold Level Certified I once submitted a contest to Daimler-Chrysler for the then new generation scanner tool naming. Prize. Either one of the new ones or a new previous generation scanner. Named DRB III. Diagnostic Readout Box third generation.
I submitted, Pro-Pal.
Encourage the hesitant, to actually learn it, and use it. Respect those using it.
Nope. Nope. They lame, named it with input from the designers. StarScan. Next newest: WiTech.
Clearly understood action names MattR. attracts, sells, and gets used.
S.U.

3 Likes

I have seen where they use stove rope with grease and graphite mixed into the rope. Making a water pump type seal bushing to hold it in place that can be adjusted.
Bob

4 Likes

No I like the Dual Fuel Gasifier. So that is what it will be. I can through the Hybrid verbiage in marketing.

I need to test this further to make sure Im making the right decision. But I think I will retire the “M” = Micro this year and next year they will become the DF gasifier line. :slight_smile: Thank you for the input. Besides that the new Alpha is huge there is nothing micro about it. haha.

You know Ive never tried 100% chips. I have to wonder if it is possible to run a low moisture content fuel. It might work with a little dirtier gas as a trade off and fuel would need to be dryer than an imbert, But if it were a true duel fuel either / or machine that would really be something. .

5 Likes

If I am understanding the picture of the kolgas generator, it looks like the engine fan is pressure feeding air into the unit. If that is true, the concerns about CO leakage apply. Looks like a pretty simple design though.

3 Likes

I have used axle seal part, complete, cut off from old well-water pumps, at two of my builds, only thing is it is a little cumbersome to weld the cast-iron water pump part to steel drum, but with proper reinforcement it works really well, using “soft” stainless “stick” electrodes.
This type of seal worked very well, and those pumps often could be found for free, when they are exchanged to modern stuff.

4 Likes

I thought that too Andrew, but looking at it looks like a motor and exhaust heat exchanger to me. Maybe Goran can read what it says and translate it for us.
Bob

2 Likes

Yes, it’s like Andrew suggests, there are text;
Kylare för kolgas= charcoalgas cooler.
Motor-kylare= engine cooler.
KylarflÀkten= cooling fan.
I’d never seen this model before, but i think it’s one of Svedlunds earlier models, Axel Svedlund started making gasifiers in 1923 if I remember correctly, hard times before the war, when gasoline was almost cheaper, than running on charcoal. But he never gave up, and during ww2 i think 50% of sold gasifiers in Sweden, was of Svedlund make.

4 Likes

MattR I am stunned. Almost never does anyone take my naming suggestions.
Bruce Jackson calls himself Dual Fuel because he is always concurrently using two different kinds of fueling systems for his IC various engines.

A Dual Fueller, dual fueling to my ears says using a mixed two fuels at the same time in the same system. Plus “ing” turns it into a using action verb. “Hybriding” the guys say here.
(Yeah. Yeah. These are all bad english. Joke. Americans are just bad English. So said, George the King.)

Bi-Fueler is just a road I do not want to slip down. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :shushing_face:
REgards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Thanks Goran for the clarification on this. This gasifer is getting more interesting as I look at it more.
Bob

2 Likes

New for 2023 is the brand new Bi Fueler!! its a charcoal gasifier that identifies as a wood gasifier!!!

7 Likes

I’m with SteveU. Bi has to many connotations. Due to the glaring absence of female participation I declare woodgas to be a masculine noun and should not be sullied with wishy washiness.

No point in throwing rotten fruit at me. I’m too old to change and too old to care to. I see part of my question about the swedlund was answered but what is the nozzle? Also to old to figure it out.

6 Likes

There isn’t a nozzle it’s basically an open air jacket
Think FEMA but it has a more fixed active zone

2 Likes