Charcoal vs. Wood gasification

I think most important would be , what do you plan to hunt ? Birds or bears :blush:

9 Likes

Lol yes you are right. I would not go hunting bears with a 22 rifle, but hunting Blue grouse it works great. Not legal any more in our state.
Bob

5 Likes

https://hosting.devo.se/smp/catview.html?method=start&viewMode=1&documentId=325B&pageNo=2

2 Likes

https://hosting.devo.se/smp/catview.html?method=start&viewMode=1&documentId=550B&pageNo=15

2 Likes

Thank you Jan, this picture and documents I have never seen before, very interesting.

Bob

4 Likes

Now THAT is really interesting. It’s basically an open air jacket?

3 Likes

Yup and that allows for simpler design as I am now finding out. My downdraft charcoal unit has not problem with a 30% mixture of wood chips added in.

Im actually considering re classifying them from “charcoal gasifier” to “Hybrid Gasifier” Unless there is a better name to classify this type of gasifier.

6 Likes

I see Matt’s design in this with the ring type nozzle.

2 Likes

Maybe this is where the US got their idea for the FEMA?

2 Likes

You might notice the preheated air off the exhaust and in the drop box heat exchanger, drop ash/char box, No slyclone filter. Manual grate shaker, cooling rails with condensation tank.
I like this design. Yes this unit is quite different from other charcoal units.
Bob

2 Likes

What about the water drip?

4 Likes

Yes Matt, I forgot that one. Thanks.
Bob

2 Likes

No water drip…,. no dice. lol

3 Likes

I hope you can translate this, Cody. From may old book.

5 Likes

Well from what I see the water drip could be added just before the ring nozzle.
I would add a restriction open to increase the air/gas velocities at that point with ash for protection on top. Talk about charcoal reserve below the nozzle ring or restrection opening if added… Wow it could handle a long high vaccum pull.
The manual grate shaker looks to be a problem if air leaks in at the shaft.
Bob

3 Likes

on my VW Fusca i will use charcoal, like as i saw a guy named Marcio in youtube using this in his second gen ford corcel 1.6, with very little gasifier wich is hidden in the corcel’s trunk, for me is a pro for charcoal because here in BR you can find it in every grocery store, and as you guys says reduces size of the gasifier…
Marcio’s Corcel Video(Brazilian-Portuguese ONLY)

4 Likes

Make sure it is real lump wood CHARCOAL and not the compressed charcoal dust with a bunch of additive to make it burn. You need the charcoal pieces to make the gases. CO, and H2, small amount of methane gases as they made in the hot charcoal bed.
Bob

3 Likes

If it is charcoal briquettes be careful.

Lump charcoal is what you would want, and grind it down a little.

4 Likes

I want to say the standard for bottom central shakers is to use two series of threads. A pipe in a pipe with a central bar. Hopefully with heavy grease and the labyrinth seal of the threads it should be air right.

4 Likes

Also from the looks of the video he has a cross draft gasifier

2 Likes