Combining Gasification with hydrogen

I am curious.
Has anyone here played around with combining Gasification with hydrogen?
I have researched hydrogen generators extensively and played around a bit and though I know the hydrogen generator concept in a car was mostly hype with plenty of scammers I can’t help but wonder if their would be any increase in efficiency to the gasifier.
Would a decent size hydrogen gen linked to the wood gas outlet mix with the gas safely and give a more efficient combustion? Thus making up for a little of that 20% loss when using just wood gas?
Anyone here given this any thought?

1 Like

The issue with HHO generators is it also makes oxygen, and that could lead to more backfires. Woodgas is safe until it’s mixed with oxygen.

I could only see it help with idling, it wouldn’t be able to keep up at higher rpm.

2 Likes

Yes. Higher RPM requires a large amount of gas flow and was the main reason anyone who had even a minimum amount of savvy could see that Hydrogen gens couldn’t give what was promised. Didn’t think about the oxygen part. That would have been an interesting experiment indeed.
Still thinking about building a small torch though. Would be fun

4 Likes

I think a torch would be a good use of an HHO generator. I know some people use them for jewelry brazing because of how intense the heat is.

2 Likes

A decent size hho cell will produce about a gallon of gas per minute. You do the math on whats that compared what an engine sucks in…

Like Cody sayd, they are only good for a torch. Incredibly hot and localised flame, much more intense thain acetylene.

That, and making bottle bombs :smile:

12 Likes

I agree with the above statments- i have built two 6"by 6: 30 packs and a 7" by 7" 100 pack of 316 l hho booster- through a water bubler too a torch- not enough for a small engine- by the time you add the current draw on a big alternator- I never found any majic frequincy too ticle the plates, and used neoprean gaskets as seperators–the flame is frizzy supper hot-I think my 100 pack took like 8000 wats to make 20 leters a minut-off 220 volt wall current, and 30 amps,its on my back shelf for years now. and it barley idled a 5 hp motor while plugged into 8000 watts wall current. i was trying hho for several years- then i found DOW drive on wood website WAYNE KEITH got me headed in a better direction- THANKS WAYNE KEITH.

4 Likes

We do it all the time with water injected charcoal.

Wouldnt it be easier to recirculate some of the gas back to do this? The losses from the HHO generator will far out wiegh any advantages of direct H2 injection. You would need a huge one to really do anything anyways.

3 Likes

If you want to do anything like that. Figure out how to eliminate the nitrogen out of the air.

2 Likes

Ive thought about this a lot I think it could be interesting if you had thermoelectric generators recycling heat off the gasifier or engine somehow and then turning the electricity into hydrogen

1 Like

There is a huge problem with this. What happens when you combust Hydrogen? Yeah you create water and in a wood gasifier water is the enemy. I think the byproduct will also counter any positive effects it may have.

2 Likes