Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Way to think outside the box and get the job done Bill!!
Where there is a will there is a way!:+1::+1:

10 Likes

that’s insane …20times

2 Likes

With as windy as it was, this was the only way i could think of. The 40,000 btu torpedo heater wasn’t very effective with all the wind. I was able to get the heat from the exhaust directly to the oil pan so the engine could turn over. A block heater takes way too much electricity.

11 Likes

It is 75 here today . no wind nor cloud to be seen .

8 Likes

All that windy snow weather , sure makes spring and summer feel good though. When it gets here that is, And yes i enjoying the weather break from the snow here in MICHIGAN TOO.Building is looking good , glad too see you got it out of the weather.

2 Likes

My nephew came up to visit. We decided to make 60 lbs of sausage yesterday and nd will smoke it for 12 hours today with the smoker we made the last time he was here a month ago.

17 Likes

Here’s a short tour of our homestead.
We started with raw wooded land 7 years ago.

19 Likes

Thanks for the tour Bill, you have a very nice place.
Bob

7 Likes

I know some folks hate the snow and the cold but that looks like my kinda winter wonderland. A beauty place you have built Bill!

9 Likes

Thanks Bob and Marcus.
People hate the snow because they don’t know how to enjoy it or can’t drive in it. It’s been a very mild winter so far. It been in the 20’s a lot of the time.
I was given a big wood stove for the garage and i can get it to 70⁰in a couple of hours now. Im finally able to spend more time out there to build some shelves in the shipping containers now. I will hopefully have an organized garage and can find things im looking for. I have wood working tools taking up a lot of floor space in the middle and will soon have a place in the containers.

14 Likes

Bill that is a beautiful place up there. I’m going to have to come visit one year in the winter time. You can teach me how to do snow stuff.
thanks for the video.

10 Likes

This would’ve been the perfect winter. It hasn’t been very cold.

10 Likes

Nice place bill, Perfect winter for sure here in michigan, We got about 4" of snow so far and its nearly febuary, It lasted about a week and all melted .the ground is not even froze other than a half inch on top my sandy yard. There is a little snow sticking too the trees today, yesterday we got about an inch of wet snow. stayed just cool enough too keep half the snow on the tree branches. Quite a mild winter, and its been on the drought side the last 1-1/2 years, At leiste your getting some ground water for gardoning.

9 Likes

My old Hough pay loader sure didn’t like to turn over down around zero degrees.
Wished I’d known about the availability of 12v - 100W silicone heater pads for the bottom of engine oil pans.

Maybe a jumper pack added would suffice so you don’t run the machines batt down. Just power it up maybe a half hour before turning over?

3 Likes

Sizing up the charcoal gasifier on a dog sled for a snow dog.

18 Likes

Nice!
Did you build that sled?
Do you have any more pics of it?

11 Likes

why did i never think of this??? track frame and chunk of tunnel from a snowmobile, jack shaft to a small engine, that is genius!!! i can pick up free sleds all the time not running, i have contemplated many times re powering one with a 4 stroke engine but this is just cool!

8 Likes

Jakob, no i didn’t build it. A seasonal neighbor brought it over. I told him I will make it run on charcoal.

8 Likes

So if i were to build one of these, i would use a sled from the 70’s so it’s not so tall. Its very top heavy. Other than that, it’s pretty cool. It goes about 35 mph. It has a 420cc Predator engine.

9 Likes

That is to fast to run behind. So do you put your skiis on and just hangon from the back and steer?
Bob

5 Likes