Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Skis or a sled behind it. You steer it via manhandling

2 Likes

I’m putting the dog sled behind it

4 Likes

Its the " snowmofire " :fire:

6 Likes

You could put some side skis on it spring loaded, for tip over back up. i would like too see that fine tunes machine tooling down the trails.

3 Likes

I finally have my garage set up to be warm in the winter. I now have a wood stove big enough to heat the garage to 65⁰F when the temperatures dip below 0⁰. I use the Magic Heat on the wood stove while i have the generator running to charge the batteries which is about 4-6 hours. When I shut the generator down, I unplug the the Magic Heat and just let the wood stove do it’s job. By that time it’s warm enough to just wear a flannel shirt. If my back would hold out, I could be in there all day. I need to lay down for about an hour and then go back out there.
Having heat out there allowed me to clean out the back shipping container and build shelves so I can have a little organization and actually find things.
As you can see in the picture, on top of the back shipping container is where we store all our new syrup bottles and other syrup supplies. I bought a pallet of each size of bottles because i started noticing supply chain shortages. We took our extra money we made from last season and invested in our future. I don’t trust investment companies but I trust my homestead.

17 Likes

AMEN! I cant wait to get my own piece of dirt like you guys and start living right. Just secured some rabbit hutches from my dads bone yard yesterday, hoping that will be my first endeavor when the time comes. I would love to do syrup but we dont have the sugar maples or even any large numbers of birch to do that with around me

11 Likes

I call it investing into your own work of your own hands. Dana and I just finished harvesting the next years supply of cotton wood tree buds and have them soaking in the mix to leech and brew for a year. She is makeing a healing savlve from the last years harvest now. It is great for everthing like. cuts, scrapes, burns, on the skin. She sales it for $3.00 a 1/2 oz. And $15.00 a 2 oz. Jar. The Rx stuff is a lot more expensve and has petrolum chemical prodects in it. It doesn’t help lealing very well ether.
We can all do a lot better then big corp. , big gov. big farm. In this world. Barter, barter, barter all you can.
Bob

11 Likes

speaking of which when should I be booking my vacation time for fresh wild asparagus?

4 Likes

I would like to buy some of that salve from you. Maybe trade for some syrup?

You don’t need sugar maples to make syrup. Any Acer tree will have sugar in it’s sap. You just need freezing nights and thawing days.

3 Likes

Birch makes a pretty tasty syrup, I have some rural Frisian friends that have birches they tap for drinking the sap as birch beer as well as processing into syrup.

3 Likes

I love birch syrup. Last year we made 60 gallons of it and sold out by the fall.

2 Likes

You can also tap walnut trees, I wonder if it tastes nutty?

1 Like

I will let you know when it starts poping up. It all about the temps in the ground and that means sunshine, but rain fall is part of it also. We had some snow and that counts too. It’s complacated. Lol
Bob

3 Likes

Ouch, birch beer/wine, i made it as a youngster, can still remember the headache :nauseated_face:
Ofcourse everything should be consumed in proper amounts… and dandelion wine… glad i don’t drink nowadays.
But i really would like to try making birch syrup, just need to find someone that allowe’s me to tap their birches, or find a place where i can do it in the dark :grin:

6 Likes

How is birch beer made?

6 Likes

An elderly man comes to the buffet, sits down at the table and orders the server:
“bring two glasses of wine, one for me, the other for a friend who is coming”
the husband slowly drinks his glass of wine, then looks around and quickly drinks another glass, well, he sees that the server is watching him and tells him:
“he won’t be there”
:grin:

9 Likes

Birch beer im going to check the old recipes i have somewhere, it becomes not actually beer in old swedish recipes, more like mead.
Birch wine is as simple as it sounds, just ferment birch sap, slightly low temperature, higher the first days to let the yeast start.
If i remember correctly the sap should be boiled to “pasteurisize” it, both in beer or wine making, some bacteria causes “wild” fermention (headache)

4 Likes

But the sap only contains 1% sugar, that translates to 0.5% abv at best. Is that enaugh to mess you up so much?? I thod the sap is reduced first or something…

6 Likes

At that age it felt like a good idea to mix in some white sugar :roll_eyes:
And if i remember, the birch beer recipe contains honey to add sugar, maybe it was boiled down also?

7 Likes