Dodge Dakota R/T

too bad they used basic design as the la motors on the v10 but put the tranny the same as the commings diesel interchange.

1 Like

The Cummins have a universal s.a.e bolt pattern and use an adapter for what ever application is needed.

1 Like

Hi al that is a cool feature of the comings diesel, nice too know.

1 Like

Waiting too find a good old dakota 318/360 not in the rust belt looks like the best idea, when i see how fast Wayne Keith crues with his Dakota’s.They should have never stop building the smaller v8 dakotas, the newer dakotas mostly 800 + pounds heavyer and got the small 4.7 v8.

2 Likes

From what i been reading the 360 has all same plug ins as the 318 ’ so say it works with out any major fuel compansation troubles.

1 Like

Does anyone have any Idea if the year models will swap. I have a 2000 dodge with a 360 do y’all think it will fit in and work in a 92 dakota

1 Like

The 92 is an OBD1, 2000 is OBD2 if you can swap out all the controls, and fuel system maybe. Or, transplant engine, trans. all the wiring, this is what we do to put the modern power plants in the antique vehicles.

3 Likes

I agree wont likely interchage, maybe if he had obd 1 ditributor too fit what ever motor installing, and use all the sensors from obd 1 motor . fuel injectors may have different plug ends too probley. Not an easy swap as same years for sure. all engine sensor from obd 1 would have too be put on obd 2 motor , or most of them likeley.

2 Likes

probley use the 360 flywheel on the 360 motor,or be out of balance , or they were back in the70’s.i wish i had a good running 360 hemi.

1 Like

is dakota 97-04 V8 powertech 4.7 liter suitable for wood gas? this is the biggest V8 engine available for dakotas here in Chile (south america).

1 Like

Hi Seti, the 4.7 is not good to wood gas. 92-97 5.2l is best. I run a 1998 Ford 2.5, 5spd. Ranger on wood.

4 Likes

Hey Al.

I know Wes Kuehi has a tread using the 4.7 but it didn’t work out for him .

I have been sometime trying to find the thread but no luck yet .

3 Likes

here it is

http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/2000-dakota/771/275

2 Likes

Thank you very much Jim.

2 Likes

i don’t have access to that topic.

2 Likes

one problem is the plastic intake manifold.The 318 motors work out better with more power and the aluminum intake manifold, ect. the 318 have distributor too addjust timeing for more power.The 318 hold up better too wood gas fuel. Though i hope we learn new ideas too use the 4.7 engine, Not there yet.

3 Likes

Seti,
Well, to summarize, The Dodge 4.7 Liter overhead cam V8 engine is not suitable for a practical woodgas conversion. According to the topic, which I had not read before, the ECM computer for that engine uses both the crankshaft and camshaft(2x) sensors continuously. Therefore, the popular “Tuner” replacement chips do not let you adjust the spark timing for that particular engine. Heroic electronic intervention would be required. The owner tried many (expensive and radical) things before giving up on that particular engine.

4 Likes

Kevin:
i found a DODGE RAM 1500 V8 5.2 LITER year 1999 for sale. it’s that the same engine dakotas have?

2 Likes

Hello Seti .

I believe the truck and motor combination should do well
for work and travel . It will be about 10 mph slower out on the road compared to a dakota. The dakota is not much for work vehicle but good on the road.

I believe the truck you mention above will be the same as this 94 Ram 318

3 Likes

ram1 this is the truck i mentioned

5 Likes