DOW Driving Habits

Yes what Don and Chris said. I would especially like to see a wide band air fuel ratio gauge. It seems to me an ear is a much better tool than a narrow band gauge. If of any of my other gauges swing like that I would not rely on them. I would like to see a wide band to know if I want to even bother with one. Love the videos please keep them coming.

2 Likes

Thanks Wayne you make the best vidios on how too get it going on wood.Keep on trucking.

1 Like

This video is an oldie , I had been up in Don and Dougā€™s neck of the woods I put 1500 miles down in a weekend . BBB

4 Likes

Hi Chris, I sure will as soon as I can finish up on getting the truck tuned back up with the auto mixer. I had it torn down to put the new pendim plate in. The weather (snow) came back with a vengeance, we thought spring was coming but more snow came instead and covered the ground. Yesterday and the day before it has been melting fast. Hope to be out on the road soon DOW. video will follow.
Bob

2 Likes

Thanks for the drive in the dakots Wayne K , you really set the goal stage for us wood gas newbe wantoobeā€™s, those v8 dakots seem too be a really good mix for wood gas Best power too weight ratio, and still keep up pulling a light trailer with over 1000 pounds of wood.?

Just showing a little DOW from last night and this morning .

HWWT

5 Likes

Hello Mr. Bob Mac

Hope I am not hogging this thread but you were wanting videos so here is another short one from late this afternoon .

6 Likes

If you are not real busy hop in and we will take a ride on wood :relaxed:

5 Likes

Good morning Wayne.
I never get bord driving with you on wood gas.Beautiful country & a good running truck.
If I built another truck I would not use a 4x4 extend a cap because of the weight.i can get up to about 65 mph with no wind or hills.Still would be a Dakota.
Calvinā€¦

3 Likes

Hey Wayne,

If you took your v10 out on the highway, what could it do speed wise continuous for 2-3 hours straight?

Traffic on the ā€œbig roadā€ out my way regularly runs between 75-80mph. Would that be pushing the limits in that big truck?

1 Like

Hello Will.

My big truck ( 9000 pounds and huge profile ) would do OK running 2-3 hours at 50-55 mph on flat roads. Anything faster and the gasifier might get too hot.

I would have no problem running the truck 75-80 mph hybirding with gasoline . The hybird mix would be about 50/50 .

2 Likes

Hello Wayne

Iā€™m curious when you talk about your Big Truck, what size truck are you referring to and what size gassifier do you have on the truck?

1 Like

Hello Conrad

The truck is big compared to a S10 , Rangers and Dakotas but small compared to Freightliners, Peterbuilts , and Macks .

The truck is a 95 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 , 8L motor. I am using a 12 inch gasifier on it .

Video of the truck at work below .

8 Likes

Hello Wayne

Thanks for the fast response and the video. I recall in the past when you where working on a larger gassifier with larger barrels than the standard size barrels and a larger fire tube (larger than the 12 inch). Iā€™m curious what size truck you installed it on and if there where any benefits with the larger gassifier.

2 Likes

Good morning Conrad .

Yes I made a 16 inch gasifier and had it in a 94 Ram half ton 4x4, 5.2 motor. I drove this truck to Argos two years ago.

I tuned or choked the gasifier down to where it would make clean gas at the lower demands ( driving around the farm ) . In effect the gasifier is about the same capacity as a 12 inch after the 16 inch was choked down .

Once the gasifier gets over 12 inch the expense goes up quickly. From now on I will be staying away from anything over 12 inch .

I set the gasifier off the truck temperately as my son is using the truck to drive to school and all the activities around the school . Too much responsibility for a young driver in those areas .

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I was hoping a bigger vehicle might do as well as the little Dakotas on the highway. Thinking of the Avalanche 2500 HD with the Vortec 8100 (496" BBC) and how it would do on the highway.

The Avalanche 2500 HD is an ideal vehicle for me as it would be comfy, stealthy, can take 4 adults in comfort, and can be had with a huge engine and 2WD.

2 Likes

ā€œHope I am not hogging this thread but you were wanting videos so here is another short one from late this afternoon.ā€
Not at all Wayne, the more the better.
I have been so behind and trying to catch up on work, putting the garden in and building the new greenhouse, I have been breaking the Cardinal sin of DOW, I havenā€™t been driving on wood. Once I get my Wood chunker built and running I will have plenty of fuel ready to burn.
Bob

6 Likes

Nice work bob mac, i thought you had your chunker built, I have a 5 or 10 yard dump axel lineā€™d up for 200, bucks, it looks about the same as Waynes axle chunker.Caint wait too get it working too.

2 Likes

The wood chunker is still in the works. Just found a engine 13 hp electric start at HF, picking it up tomorrow. So many projects in oneā€™s life time to do. Loving it.
Bob

6 Likes

Good morning Bobmac

You ask for them so here is another. :relaxed:

Stormy weekend .

8 Likes