DOW Driving Habits

Continuing the discussion from Wayne's 95 Dakota , 318:

Bob

Hello Mr. Bob

Yes I will get some video showing the driving and controls.

Meanwhile below is a video I made for Doug Drost just this morning showing killing the overdrive in some situations

BBB :grinning:

13 Likes

Thank you Wayne, that was a big help. I hope some of the other members will do the same. Being able to watch the fuel/air ratio and seeing you shift in and out of overdrive, speed up and letting off the gas pedal and what speed you are traveling at, as you are talking through it all, was all very helpful to me. I need to change my driving habits to get more wood per mile out of my truck. SWEM
Bob

3 Likes

Thanks Wayne. Nice to see how to avoid gasoline hybriding when not passing another vehicle but needing a little power assist. I lack all those hills in this flat land area, but accelerating on an on ramp to get up some speed will be a useful time to use that handy method.

2 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bob.

See if this video of the air / fuel ratio gauge was kinda what you were asking for .

On the trip I made two slight adjustments to fine tune .

10 Likes

Glad you guys are OK … The wind is bending the trees here today … Hope to see some of you down south this summer …Truck & trailer are ready … M

2 Likes

Thanks for the smooth ride, Wayne. Feels just like sitting behind the wheel. I sure wish we had some Dakotas here.

To all of you,
I hope you don’t mind ratteling around in a Rabbit for a minute.
I wanted to show something I don’t do very often - hybriding.
However driving big roads in high speed, climbing hills without loosing speed or fast accelerations are when you might want to add some gasoline with a tiny system (and a tiny engine).

9 Likes

As I have said before, after just about every ride in my woodtruck I think of things I want to change. It took me a while to understand how the guys were converting their truck to high bread with the trailer brake system. Since I have mine hooked up, that is the best thing I have done. With the gear ratio in my truck, it is normally slow getting up to speed. It is even worse with woodgas. So now just a little petro and I’m off with the big boys. TomC ( always fun riding with you JO. I was hanging on to the arm of my chair, because the road there looked a little slippery.)

4 Likes

Tom, I don’t know what year your truck is, but most vehicles late years enough to have a lambda sensor can hybrid without using a reostat. I rely totally on the lambda and only use a fuel pump switch. More air means more gasoline is added automaticly and the other way around. Gives a perfect a/f ratio at all times. But I like the off-position best :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you Wayne, that was wonderful and very informative drive with you. I appreciate it very much. You just can’t learn to much about all the DOW, and how Gasification works as it is applied to running our trucks, cars, generators, and other small engines. SWEM
Bob

1 Like

Thank you JO, that was impressive on how you can switch back and forth from woodgas to Dino and back again with the rabbit truck. Thanks again for great ride in your wonderful winter land you live in. You drive down the road as though you are on dry pavement. I just keep learning more every time I’m on this DOW site. SWEM
Bob

1 Like

My truck is a '94 Chev V6 and it does have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. I can’t remember how I got to where I am with my high-bred drive. I started with a reostat to run the fuel pump slow. That heated up. Then I took the members suggestion and hooked up a electric trailer brake. That works real well. Now are you telling me, I can leave the fuel pump on full, and just adjust the air mixture and the lambda will adjust the fuel pump?? I’m curious, Does anyone else know this trick??? TomC

1 Like

Hello Mr. Tom

What JO said .

I always hybrid with the computer handling the mix

Here are a couple of 4 year old videos

4 Likes

Tom, in wintertime you’ll be better off watching Wayne’s videos than all them Westerns :wink:

I don’t think the fuel pump is affected, but gasoline is delivered to the engine in the amount needed the same way as when you step on the accelerator.
Sometimes you need to let go of the pedal and/or open up the air quite a bit to start with, just to let the system find the proper range. After that you can squeeze the air down to almost woodgas setting and the amount of gasoline delivered will be minimal.
I know you’re running tbi. I’m not familiar to tbi, but I guess it adjusts injector timing - same as mpfi. My system is constant spray and adjusts fuel pressure only. But as long as you have an oxy sensor you will always have some hybrid possibilities. The operating range may vary though.

3 Likes

Thank you Mr. Wayne for the videos and Mr. JO for the information. I should grab my jacket and go out to the shop and see what I can put into practice, but unfortunately winter is hanging on. Just had 4 days of 55 mph winds and now it is only in the 20’s. The wind blew some tin off my old barn and blew the window out of my shop. So I have some unexpected project come up before I get back to work on the truck.

Before my high-bred hook up, when running on woodgas, I always had the air valve almost totally closed. If I turned the fuel pump on it would flood the enginel. ( I guess there wasn’t enough extra air to feed the gasoline.) I never tried it but I suppose I could have opened the air valve and then turned on the fuel pump. That seems like it would have made me running on petro and not pulling any woodgas.

I remember Mike LaRossa came up with his tbi woodgas truck and he was so happy with how it was running. On the way home he realized that his gas gauge was headed to "empty’. He thought he had the fuel pump turned off but the injectors were still working. He concluded that the tbi was siphoning gas from the tank and the injectors were injecting it into the engine. Could it have been that the O2 ( lambda reader) had taken over like you are saying. I don’t know how he had the fuel pump and injectors wired up, but I do know that every since, I have always shut off the fuel pump AND the injectors when running on wood gas. TomC

2 Likes

Thanks on the vidio Wayne i thought the hybrid driveing was being done while dialing down the fuel pump with the head light reostat,or the pwm, or i am confuzing a diferent type of hybrid driveing for other than crues speed hybriding.

1 Like

Good morning Kevin .

I use the rheostat switch when I need just a little boost of gasoline . Works very well starting the gasifier . The rheostat switch will allow me to gently add just enough gasoline as needed and wean back the gasoline gently as the gasifier produces more gas .

This video shows dialing the gasoline back to 0.

7 Likes

Thanks for the little tutorial. I never tire of these.

2 Likes

@Bobmac Excellent topic.

Could you post a driving video similar to Wayne’s, now that you’ve got the bugs worked out of the automixer.

3 Likes

What Don and Chris said. I’ll be checking in every other hour from now on :smile:

One thing came to my mind watching Wayne’s video:
I couldn’t do that even if I had a rheostat.
Any vehicle that rely on an air flow sensor dictating the gasoline supply is unable. Pulling on a cold gasifier would starve the engine unless you rev it a lot and the lambda is not very useful unless already heated.
Mine is an odd bird with a macanical air flow sensor, but has anyone with an ordinary electric MAF tried to put a rheostat on that 5V signal?

1 Like

Example of using rheostat switch controlling fuel pump for starting

6 Likes