Dropbox diagram

I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning using a Dropbox in place of a cyclone filter. I was wondering does the drip box also replace the cooler? Also does anybody have a diagram of a Dropbox? I’ve seen many mentions of a drop box but I’m not exactly sure how one is built.

1 Like

I made a drawing of this one once but I never built it yet or tried it. The thinking behind this design was that when the area increases the speed of the gas flow decreases so that particles will drop out of the gas flow. Because of the large surface area it should also serve as a cooler.

7 Likes

Don that’s a great diagram ! Do people typically put in some sort of filter media in the drop box as well? Or just build a separate filter?

1 Like

Separate filter I think.

3 Likes

Its a good place to put a bag type filter. So you sort of get both in one. Heavy will drop to the bottom while the finer dust will coat the upper portion of the bag filter. I use a fine SS mesh and stable together the seam to construct the SS bag filter. A toilet brush is used to scrub the sides and then shop vac it out to clean it.

10 Likes

Is there an advantage to the canted baffle? I’m thinking of a drop box design for a downdraft charcoal unit I’m going to start when the garden is mostly put to sleep in a few weeks. I want to use a couple of small heater core radiators to cool the gases. One on the inside just below the gas exit port and one on the outside with a small pump to circulate coolant between them. I would put a filter screen below the internal radiator. It would be easier if that baffle was perpendicular.

3 Likes

If you want cooler gas build your gasifier larger. If your gas is hot you are actually over driving it and its probably too small for your application. You should not even need to cool it at all. KISS

8 Likes