Gasification planning

Ok. I am BRAND new to this, so please be kind! I only learned about wood gasification this weekend when someone happened to mention it as a way to power any carburetor engine. I was amazed what I learned when doing some research on the science of it all. So, my general questions, which hopefully some of you experts can answer for me:

1. Can I only consider a carburetor engine for wood gasification? If so, that obviously limits me to vehicles about 1990 or later in age. If that is incorrect, please tell me what I should be looking for in an engine when buying a vehicle to convert to wood gasification.

2. I am looking to install this in a truck. How big of an engine can support wood gas as its primary fuel? I was hoping to buy a 4x4 3/4 ton truck to put it in, but I am guessing that may be too much truck for the process.

3. Once installed in the truck, I also plan on being able to pull the truck up close to my house, so that I can fuel my 13,000 watt gas generator with the gas. Too big a unit to run off of a wood gas system?

4. From all of the information above, what size system should I be looking to build or buy?

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions. I appreciate any insight anyone can offer to the newbie!

Craig

11 Likes

Welcome! You have found the right place to ask those questions… ill let others that have been around longer answer your questions but i will say building your own system is the way to go… cost wise and knowlage of operation. Order the DOW book. The foks here will gladly answer your questions but the book and the premium side of the forum contain mountains of resources!!!
There are some amazing fully detaild builds to follow.

7 Likes

Hello Craig and welcome to the DOW

Some of your questions can be answered here

9 Likes

question 1
carbureted engines are in some ways less desirable for running on woodgas/ char gas, look at my youtube videos and you will see why :wink: tbi or direct injection I think is more favorable for easy intake manifold cleanings, wayne has a few videos of this ( read as setting your motor on fire to remove soot deposits :rofl:) we have a few 1996 and newer obd2 woodgassers on here now, and working on potential for others thanks to a new member who tunes engines and can unlock some more potential power
question 2
the sky is the limit, several big dodge v10 8.0 liters have been built, and during war times bigger engines were fueled by wood as well. Built properly the truck carry’s it just fine, my Toyota carries a woodgas system with ease, and several 4 cylinder builds have been done no problem with adequate power for daily driving and towing of heavy loads
question 3
no such things as to big of a generator for woodgas, but bear in mind you lose a lot of usable wattage on wood. You may peak out the generator near 7-9000 watts usable power without some modifications to make up for the slower flame speed of combusting woodgas
question 4
buying would be a very gainful process, commercialized system are not tailor fit to a truck, which is part of the fun of building your own system. that way you can fit it best to keep the truck most usable as a truck for hauling cargo, towing ect. I have only built off of the wayne keith platform, I have not delved into other designs such as the imbert, the joni, and others who have designed systems very well that perform daily.

dig into the forum, the library is rich with information, ask questions, there are many seasoned pros here that can help. The search bar at the top using key words will get you a long ways, there are hidden gems of information LITTERING this forum, years, hundreds of thousands of miles traveled, thousands of hours of stationary operation, electrical generation, cooking, water heating, pyrolyzing and so on everywhere here

Welcome, glad to see you here and asking and learning right from the git go. The information can be overwhelming to take in, but its knowledge you may just be very happy to have down the road for thinner times

8 Likes

Thank you, Wayne! I may have more questions after I read through this, but very much appreciate the guidance!

4 Likes

Great advice. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks, Marcus. GREAT information!

I’m up for the challenge and promise I will be an avid reader. Just got to get over the fear of doing it incorrectly. I tend to not start a project until I have it all figured out.

5 Likes

heh, heh, I’m the exact opposite, I dive in head first and hope to not break my face in the process. been working great for the 32 years of life! started my first build last February, logged about 7000 miles on wood so far commuting daily 111 miles. Few bump’s along the way, but loving it compared to fuel prices right now!!!

8 Likes

Can I ask the make and model of your truck?

1 Like

1982 toyota pickup 2wd, small block chevy v8 with some power adding goodies 5 speed w55 trans from a third gen truck standard cab long bed
my new build im working on is a 1996 dodge ram 8.0 v10 5 speed 4wd extended cab long bed

6 Likes

That’s exactly what I needed to hear. I’ve looked at some trucks over the past few days, but moved on from many because they were post 1990 vehicles. Would love to follow your second build if I can, as that seems to be similar to the direction I am trying to go.

5 Likes

get Wayne’s book ordered and you will get premium side of the forum goodies including both my builds and many MANY others

6 Likes

Hop in Craig and I will take you for a ride

360 degree camera .

10 Likes

Hi Craig and welcome to DOW. For wood gasifition and applying it for your needs this is the best site.
From the questions you asked, you are going to want to get your hands on the “Have Wood Will Travel” book. It also comes with the premum membership. It will show you how to buil a Kieth Gasifier or what we call a WK Gasifier. It can run the big truck engines and smaller truck engines. If I ever need wood gas to run my generator I have in the back of my 92 Dodge Dakota truck with the WK Gasifier. Like you are thinking about doing.
Bob

7 Likes

Wayne -

Take my money now! Can I just buy a vehicle from you that you deck out the proper way based upon what I am trying to do? Not a funny question - I am quite serious! I would rather buy something built by an expert in the field vs. trying to build one myself. Truly.

Good to hear I am on the right track! How large of a generator can you comfortably power?

2 Likes

Just to put a bit more “meat on the bone”, so to speak, here is the generator I have:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WEN-13000W-Portable-Standby-Generator-with-Wheel-Kit-and-Electric-Start-CARB-Compliant/46728785

If I can get a 3/4 ton truck with a wood gasifier on it that powers it properly (i.e, the Wayne video I just saw, with the ability to tow something when / as needed) AND powered my whole house WEN generator, then I would feel much better prepared for “things.” It looks like on the Wayne video that he is mixing gas and wood gas.

1 Like

Well you can figure 25% to 30% horse power losses on wood gas that is why we like to use bigger engines in trucks. The Dodge V-10 is a 8.0 liter engine. And it has no problem running on wood gas. But here is what you need to know. Wood suppy is your fuel and wood prepping to put it into the gasifier.
I have a cherry orchard right next door to me and can have all the trimings every year and there is pile by my house that is as big as my house.
You are going to need to build a wood chunker or way to prosses the wood with a big engine gasifier.
It is not just hop into the gasifier truck and run it. It needs fuel and you are the one the will be making the fuel for it to feed it. Lots of things to think about and learn in the world of gasification.
Bob

5 Likes

We can, when we start up it is called hybred driving or when you need just a little more power for climbing a hill. Remember wood gas driving you lose 25% to 30% hores power. But it is 37% more efficeint then dinofuel.
Bob

2 Likes

Craig one big stipulation, with a wood gasifier you should always build it to the size of your engine.

So one for the truck, and one for the generator. Building a compromised size to run both will give you poor results with both engines.

Smaller engines are easier to run on a charcoal gasifier. Very simple to build and are good Training Wheels. But, even as much of a fan of charcoal that I am, I do think raw wood gasifiers are best suited for vehicles.

2 Likes