Gasified Fishing Boat Ideas

I get where its confusing…lol. so 2 stoke oils method of dispersement is the liquid fuel. Without the fuel it itself becomes sticky and useless. Somewhere i have a video i took of one of my kids yamaha blasters… i aquired one with a hole in upper part of crankcase and machined it out to accept a 2x2 piece of glass. When at low rpm the fuel and oil was very lazy and didnt move around alot . Low rpm and constant idle is number 1 killer of 2 cycle engines that rely on fuel to lubricate. When you increased the thrittle that inspection window showed a very violent sloshing of the fuel and oil… until it became so cloudy you couldnt see it anymore.

The one thing ive read is gassifier make an oil of sorts that does lubricate…and very fine soot also can be a lubricant ( think graphite)

And yes most modern 2 strokes do use oil injection. However i take care of alot of machines and all my customers now use my failsafe… on oil i jected machines they premix 100:1 amsoil 2 cycle. Its a get you back to the beach on water skis or back to camp on wheeled vehicles. Offers enough protection to use lower power to get home when oil i jection fails…and they do…alot… its noticable the most at high power levels…when injection fails the smoke goes away, they get a differnt tone and loose some power because ring seal is less with no oil. And mixing 100:1 amsoil in gas tank is enough to save engine in most cases and doesnt effect jetting.

Woodgas in 2 cycle Is something i want to try for sure. But i wouldnt try on an engine i relied on or cared about if that makes sence.

6 Likes

Didnt write this in origional but was thinking in head… so during operation through sight window at lower power when it was translucent you could see the puddle of acculated oil in bottom of the case. It did not ever really move… and when i drained it with drain plug is was a sticks mess and usually took carb off and hosed down case with carb cleaner to get it out. Probably wasnt necesarry but i smoothed inside of cases for i creased flow

4 Likes

One thing to remember, 2 stroke engines used to be lubricated with regular old 30 weight motor oil Pre-War.

The total loss 4 strokes used standard motor oil, it wasn’t pre mixed but instead introduced in droplet form at the intake manifold, however they still had oil in the crank case as well depending on the engine.

The 2 stroke oil we know today was developed to be less smoky and to not turn to a nasty soup if left mixed with gasoline for too long unused.

It might be worth to attempt this with as thin of a 4 stroke oil as you can find. 0w16?

5 Likes

@ForbiddenTuna definatley worth a shot with thin oils. I was doing some work with alternative fuels back in 2000s and another team there were working on an lpg air cooled 2 stroke … I remember them having oiling issues and ruined many powerplants. Pretty much what .are me start thinking how could we lubricate them with gaseous fuel? I remember they were also I jecting 3 to 4x that amount of oil vs gas oil version and we’re fouling plugs often. I’ll have to see about looking it up and see if they ever found a solution. Where there is a will there is a way. But generally at a cost of many failures before it’s figured out. Hence why I’m gunshy on it…today’s economy and wallet downst allow such fun…lol

6 Likes

This is some good discussions on 2 cycles and oils I did not know about guys thank you.
Bob

4 Likes

The big war ship ran into a torpedo make shift boat the African Queen barely floating upside down. It got water swamped by the storm when they tried to ram the war ship. A Great Ending for a great movie.

2 Likes

Regarding premiix oil, l learn from the best. Our Master cheapskate, @JO_Olsson :smile: he once sayd to me he hadnt bought 2stroke oil in years so now l too usualy use common engine oil. No problems, no smoke, and l only prepare a gallon or so of mix at a time anyways. Wich l burn in a week usualy.

9 Likes

The two-stroke diesel Holder has an oil tank above, from which the dosing pump captures and pushes the oil into the bearings, into each one separately, then the oil collects at the bottom of the crankcase, from where the pump captures it and returns it to the tank. Oil consumption is minimal, maybe a liter per 30 hours of operation. If I were to use a two-stroke engine, I would add an oil filter to the gas filter in addition to the hay filter and try to keep the gas more humid than dry, as I notice that this is almost non-sootable.

4 Likes

Family used to own a Marina in Lakeside Oregon. Once a fire starts in a boat, you will most likely not be able to put it out. It’s off how they burn all the way down to the water line…

4 Likes

William,
My first two real jobs were working in marinas on Lake St. Clair, North of Detroit, MI. I started out cleaning boat bottoms in November, then working up to installing equipment and prepping new boats, 14 to 30 feet, almost all gasoline engine powered. I was a real boat nerd then!! :cowboy_hat_face:
I saw results of fires, but did not see a live event until one day while vacationing at Ludington State Park, in Michigan, just a few years ago. saw a vessel going by the beach at speed trailing smoke. almost seemed to be on auto-pilot with no visible crew. (insurance job, I wondered?) Finally the boat stopped, and while many gawkers motored by, some captain finally went over and rescued the passengers. The fire proceeded to burn the boat to the waterline, meanwhile one of the engines accelerated and the hull became an out of control monstrosity. Harbor patrol came from Ludington and kept shooting the water cannon at it, and dodging the hull under power. finally, the inevitable happened and she sunk. I did some cell-camera filming, but it didn’t show enough detail. I read about the incident later in the local paper but not much of a story: No one injured, about a 30 ft. cabin cruiser style, they recovered what was left later in the day.
My point? you can be too cheap. If there truly is no gasoline or diesel available, and your business is commercial fishing, I would try a gasifier on board. Otherwise, no way!!

5 Likes

To my knowledge there isn’t many gasoline powered commercial boats anymore and I think if we come down to mad max/ water world times fighting over gasoline and diesel there won’t be much commercial fishing going on since there won’t be infrastructure to move that fish from port to sale. Now the commoner? Sail and row boats, electric trolling motors batteries and solar panels. I learned to sail when I was about 9, step dad was a instructor for the Renton sailing club. Got my captains license a few years back for non commercial boats and love everything about being on the water. Since I am an outboard kind of guy, I would have no qualms with dumping a burning motor off the transom and paddling my happy ass back to shore! The problem I see is most high power outboards of today are gas guzzling like a sailor back from sea, for any lengthy runs wood storage would be a problem both by weight and space. I think charcoal would be the better option for those 2 reasons. Here in Washington state you have to have life jacket, air horn, flair, and fire extinguisher on board at all times, saltwater have to have radio as well. Every boat fire I have personally seen has been operator error and negligence. First week of fishing season and first week of summer heat is the apex for boat fires, people bring a boat out of storage and thinking the can hit the key and have at it. No pre trip inspections, common old nasty fuel in the tank. Crank it for days while at the boat launch cuss and struggle, resort to canned consent of starting then 'splody things happen. Everyone bails out and watches it burn. I have never understood the person that would stand by and watch there boat burn??? My boat is one of the places I am most at peace, I’ll be damned if I stand with hands in pockets and let it go up in smoke. Hell I’d rather pull the plug and capsize it to have it salvageable!

7 Likes

I’ve done a 4-stroke conversion of an old evinrude:

I have not attempted to run it on gasifier, but it is 4-stroke so it certainly could be run that way.

13 Likes

There was some genius in there somewhere Dan. Maybe it was thinking about doing it or for sure casing the adaptor. It even made a pretty good wake. I’m surprise that anyone thinks having a pressurized tank full of gasoline is safer than having a gasifier on a boat. I think BillS had the right idea about the pontoon boat.

8 Likes

I couldnt really stop thinking about gasifiers on boats, my thinking was something like this:
20220613_213018
With this frame made longer, there should be space for an outboard engine in between, with a flexible hose for gas delivery to the engine.
Maybe some kind of “hinges” and a locking device, if theres start a fire around the gasifier, opening the lock and everything folds down, in the water. One big drawback is ofcourse all the extra weight far back, but it’s maybe possible to compensate with more weight in front? Or some floating parts at the gasifier frame?

8 Likes

Hello Tom, I am also of your opinion that if petrol or oil spills, it is difficult to put it out, especially if it happens on a plastic boat. However, the fuel in the gasifier cannot spill and the fuel in it is easy to extinguish, a bucket of water is enough and it is tidy. Marcus, if I lived by the water, I would not hesitate to install a gasifier on a larger boat, water-cooled condensation zone, water-cooled cyclone - refrigerator, … ideal for me, … gasification equipment for 50 hp will not exceed 100 kg and no more than the area of ​​200 l barrels (fi 60 cm) and 100 l barrels as filter. Has anyone ever seen a gasifier burning on a boat? :grinning::fire:

10 Likes

What Tone sayd. People often ask me about safety when l drive on wood. I ask them wich is safer in the event of a crash and fire, 20gal of spilled petrol or 20 pounds of smoldering wood chips…

14 Likes

In the event of my crash, the barrel actually kept the lid in place. If it were running all I would have had to do was shove a fire extinguisher down the nozzle entrance to ensure it got put out quickly and cap it off.

7 Likes

I would take a wood fire all natural can be put out with water quickly and easily over ANY chemical fire. Any day of the week. When I burned up my ammo box and had little pieces of red hot char falling out I pulled in at the boat launch and with a plastic water bottle was able to extinguish the char bed. I can’t say you could do the same if burning gas was trailing from under the truck

8 Likes

This is why I carry a couple of gallon jugs of water in the back of the truck. Put the open plastic jug upside down into the hopper and it will drain to the bottom. Close the lid on the hopper the moisture and steam will go through the gasifier system. Watch out for the steam coming out of the hopper.
Bob

8 Likes

I am just pointing out one very important fact. If a fire starts in a car, it’s pretty easy to just get out and walk away. If it starts in a boat, … well, you get the idea. If you build it, please think the idea of the failure and the resulting problems through thoroughly as you build it. I look forward to seeing the finished project and good luck!

6 Likes