Gasometer / Gas Holder

@Matt , common mercaptane from SigmaAldrich is available via Merck here in Europe.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/CZ/en/product/aldrich/e3708

I suppose that the same holds true also for the other side of the pond.

2 Likes

This amount will probably last a lifetime

4 Likes

We pump gas from plastic and rubber into a cylinder (Газ из пластика и резины закачиваем в баллон)

9 Likes

Vladislav,
Thank you! This is very good information.
Rindert

3 Likes

Just enough words in there I can understand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hello vladislav, we have seen some of your interesting films…very great, compliment…
unfortunately i dont know russian language for understand what you explain…
especially how you make fuel from old plastic and tires is very interesting for self sufficent life and times of crisis.
i think especially on chanin saw, i have seen in your films you use your self made fuel for it!!
make you also the oil for the mix by yourself?
also the chain oil?
have you a plan-design of your equipment so i could understand maybee better…
ciao giorgio

3 Likes

GiorgioP.
His video shows CC enabled.
Click the video to run.
Then click CC to get Russian text.
Then click the Gear Tool opened.
Then play with clicking Auto-Translate to bring up a language’s selection menu. (My screen hops here and I have to scroll back down to the video)
Italian is listed.
Select this.
Then video running bar go back to the beginning to read the text in Italian.
English is 80% understandable.
Regards
Steve unruh

3 Likes

thanks steve for the explanation…i will try it , vladislav has interesting videos , also steam engine on a bicycle…
ciao giorgio
if someone has just experience with plastic destillation, o like to construct such a destillery , please contact me, i will learn -
read on google from one kilo of plastic is to get nearly one liter of fuel.
we cut our wood 20 years with hand saws, after my back operation 10 years ago i bought a chainsaw, a tool what really makes the work easier, also for woodgassers…
though but should not be forgotten how to sharp correct handsaws…

6 Likes

If I were you I would avoid that because of the risks involving fires explosions and toxic residue.

For example…
If there is PVC plastic in your reactor you will create vinyl chloride gas.
This is a well known toxic cancer causing gas that will escape your home brew systems into the environment.
If you try to deal with by flaring the gas you risk creating Dioxins, that are even more toxic.

An interesting video of an accident that release between 200g-1000g of Dioxin release.

Chlor-acne scarring caused by Dioxin poisoning on the president of Ukraine in the year after the Orange revolution.

3 Likes

thanks, wallace, you are absolutely right…i think it depends also what type of plastic is used for this kind of destillation, i thought to get more knowledge and than build something simil like in the video from a french inventor - a closen system… i really not like to poison me, my neighbours nor the environment.
what do you think about this video??
ciao giorgio

1 Like

I will have to listen more closely and try and understand.

De-Polymerization…

Using heat to break the bonds and return a cross linked polymer to a liquid.
You end up with the same sorts of chemicals used to make the plastic plus impurities.

Yes this will make flammable liquids but are they motor fuels?
I don’t know, I would not burn them in a car.

They might make good heating fuels provided you have complete combustion.

1 Like

This is polyethylene (HDPE).

This is octane an alkane that is the correct range or size for gasoline. They may rate gasoline by iso-octane (can’t remember).
So with a bit of added heat, it’s possible to break enough ethylene bonds to make an alkane that resembles gasoline…either octane, iso-octane, heptane, iso-heptane, hexane, iso-hexane, benzene (or other alkenes), or heavy molecules 9,10,11 range.
Polyethylene makes better fuel than crude oil.

3 Likes

I worked one summer in a cracking plant ( inside sometimes not fun to clean ).

It was an industrial scale plant designed to make fuel oil only by cracking residual oils, waste oils, recycled oils…
Heavy oils and they started as oil now remember that.

WE had very very limited control over what came out other than to say we cracked it and made it thin.
We made on the best days with the best feed stock something that would pass as very smelly deisel.
On bad days we made what would pass for #6 and also very smelly…

So basicly we made heavy fuel oil ( but not something thick like C it was just dark smelly thick fuel oil ).

LOADED with tar too!
Remember that point, the tar we produced was huge issue because it clogged everything.
We had a hell of time centrifuging it out thinning…
We tried all kinds of things.

Garbage in garbage out is all I have to further add.
It only made sense to do if our feed stock was almost free.

5 Likes

Wallace,
Yep! If you put in one feedstock, and one only, you have the best time. The real battle here is prior to the reaction. You have to decide if you want to do the mindless job of sorting out plastic. I barely can stand messing with used vegatable oil, and wood chips drive me crazy too. Then, I look at the annoyance of having to work some job that I hate inorder to pay for $5.00/gal diesel…it all ends up being a struggle, you just have to pick the one you can stand.

5 Likes

Nuclear Transmutation. Add or subtract protons.

1 Like

Not able to sleep after nightsifts, thinking about this and that, an idea came to mind.

Summer is coming and soon it will be too hot to feed a “eternal flame” in our cooking stove, so lm thinking pyrolisis gas.

The classical double vessel gasometer seems kinda unpractical and potentialy expensive, if one wants to store any useable amount of gas. So l came up with this

It consists of 2 same size tanks. At start, the lower one is full of water and the top one empty. When the wood pyroliser starts making gas, the gas bubbles trugh the water wich both cleans and cools it, and also displaces the water to the top vessel. When the sistem is charged, the lowest vessel will be filled with gas and the higher one with water.

I think the bennefits of this are that one can have the gas tank and the water reserour separate, connected with a hose of whatever lengh. Also, the water tank can be positioned at whatever height, and the height will dictate the pressure of the gas.

Wgat this sistem can not do thugh is suck its own gas, like Giorgio did with pulleys and weights. This suits me because sucking is only neaded in case a gasifier is used, but here lm going with a pyrolizer wich is by its self producing pressure.

12 Likes

Yeah I was thinking along this line as well. This is a great idea.

3 Likes

Thanks Matt. Im thinking Pyrolisys gas might even be stinky enaugh for it being safe for indoor use… will see

4 Likes

In case where you may want to pull the gas in. Simply use a water pump and pump it into the water vessel.

3 Likes

Has anyone got any literature regarding pyrolisis gas composition and energy density? Values on the internet are all over the place…

3 Likes