Generator on gas

First three images look like an old Pierce governor off a tractor or something ( maybe marine )

if you can find one that’s in good order these do work well
Speed regulation can leave a little to be desired and belt tension and slip are things that can cause strange behaviour.

I listed a kit from Amazon for a modern Chinese made electronic kit.
it happens to be listed for a diesel but you can run what you like with it…
I am more inclined to go with a new Chinese made thing than something unknown.

I also recommend a Murphy switch of some kind and and over speed switch.

Processing: image.png…

2 Likes

Murphy Switch, what do you use it for, is it shutdown to the engine?

1 Like

Yes if your building a set you should put some safeties into it

Temperature, oil, over speed, under and over voltage

Other considerations over crank if you have an automatic starting or remote incase a fault happens and you are physically there to shut down the plant

I have some prints for the Koehler EL-8 series controller
It’s an old all electromechanical that has a lot of these features, but it’s a pdf file so I can’t post

Here are s a link

gives you idea how these speed switches work

4 Likes

Yes, you may be right, but I will only run it when I use the saw or planer.
I looked at the sign today when I was home, and saw that it was a little bigger than I remembered, it is at 15Kva.
Thought it sounded strange that a 12hp would be able to handle it.

3 Likes

For just that equipment i think you can make it with just a simple speed-control, some kind of governor, without, the engine will stall when you load it down.
For other safety features, you could use a relay wired to oil pressure switch, that shuts the engine down if oil pressure goes down. This can simply be bypassed with a switch when starting.
For over-revving protection (if governor fails/ get stuck) there are rotors for the distributor that shorts the high voltage if rpm rises. These are for Volvo but fits the v4, you maybe have to “rotate” 90° the ignition wires on the cap.
I seem to remember someone using a aftermarket cruise-control (Bosch tempostat) as a governor, this can be driven via speedometer cable from alternator for example, then when starting, rev it up to correct rpm, or using a frequency meter on the generator and just engage the cruise-control.

6 Likes

You as a rule of thumb want 2 hp for every kVa to be sure you have enough power.
You can use less but the problem there is a big machine under loaded will be less efficient.
As long as this is not a consideration because you use an alternative free fuel source then more or less powerful prime movers are not a big deal as long as you can get the amount of power you need for the job at hand.

11 Likes

Running the power plant on a hydraulic motor would be quite simple, are there any disadvantages to that?
Maybe speed regulation will be a problem?

1 Like

Hydraulic pumps and motors make a lot of heat. They are not efficient. But perhaps if this generator is only for emergencies it is appropriate.
Very modern generators that they are selling now often use a cvt (Continuously Variable Transmission).
Rindert

3 Likes

Is there any way to use a gearbox for a v4 engine to the alternator, without having to weld the gears? There is someone nearby who sells an engine and box for SEK 800. (80 dollars)

2 Likes

I check that for you Jan, i have some gearboxes, both in parts and complete.

3 Likes

Here you go Jan, here’s some pic’s of Saab v4 gearboxes.

This one i’ve cut down to re-use the aluminum for casting, i just thought it give a good “exploded wiew”

Here’s a gearbox housing, stripped from all gears, i believe you could use it this way, just weld some kind of “adaptor” on the shaft, or where the back-lid is, just bolt a steel-plate and mount a “bearing bracket”?

The axle end, here goes Saab’s famous free-wheel, i have those somewhere, maybe usable for adaptor?

Empty gearbox casing.
These parts are free for you to get if you want it, but i believe it’s too long trip for some scrap?
I dont remember where you live? Ill probably going for a long(!!) trip in near future (Åsele) to pick up a chainsaw for the collection, i could maybe stop by on the way home?
Edit: there is’nt just a back-lid, the whole gearbox goes there, in this front part only the differential is placed, but this shouldnt make any sense.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s probably the easiest way to put things together.
I’m going to take an engine home and test how it goes. What do you think, should I keep the volvo box, or run the generator directly from the engine?

3 Likes

Look what I got in the mail today, can I just put it in the gearbox now, that would be good, Thanks Göran (will you send the swich number via pm?)

10 Likes

Not everybody is so happy to get the shaft Jan. :joy: :grin:

9 Likes

Glad to see it arrived, Jan.
Im amazed that Postnord didn’t managed to bend it during their careful handling :smiley:

8 Likes

So your national post delivery ruins packages too? Maybe there’s a global union of package breakers.

7 Likes

It is, absolutely :laughing: i belive they have a secret award ceremony each year, for most inventive ways to destroy packages, most lost packages, and most packages delivered to wrong adress…
Joke aside, the other day i got a padded envelope with a distinct footprint on… :roll_eyes: the electronic thermometer inside was cracked but working…

6 Likes

I have seen the postal services do some horrendous things that would get any other person fired. The latest big one here stateside is guns and ammunition getting picked through with gun parts missing, boxes out of a case of ammunition missing, or flat out never arriving and being “lost”. I don’t think there is a reputable delivery system at all any more when sellers are putting a disclaimer on their websites saying DO NOT ship with so-n-so

4 Likes

When I used to import things from the usa I used specify us USPS.
Good rates reasonable time.
One handed off to Canada post they would pick up the paperwork and do the import fee of charge.

But a lot has changed/
I think the USPS has been intentionally driven into the ground in the hopes some private 3rd party could buy and privatize it like the royal mail ( yikes that expensive now and unreliable with a profit motive at the bottom line )

Chronic starvation and mismanagement of valuable crown corporations always leads to call for privatization.
Then you pay, and you pay and when it fails the tax payer is forced to bail them out.

Dammit you think we would learn.
I suspect Canada post is next/
But we should run like they do in places like France where the Post office does banking and runs internet services and is heavily into shipping and e commerce.
All these things work together .
So even if traditional mail does not make a lot of money there are enough side businesses to keep the whole things from losing money and going into the death spiral.

Every piece of mail or package in France arrives in three days or less
Mail moves on their own mail trains, down public track too…

1 Like

US mail used to be much better and more reliable. The more automated they got the worse it got and the more money they lost. Now the regular people are having to subsidize the free shipping on-line retailers. I fork out the increasingly costly bucks for Amazon Prime because I’m pretty sure I’m going to get my order is decent shape and quickly. Two days to get the generator I just bought. Also the shippers, like Fedex and UPS seem to take more care with Amazon Prime deliveries. They don’t want to lose that huge of a customer due to complaints even though I don’t know how they would be replaced. Amazons own trucks do not ship to the fringes as far as I know. At least not here. I try and shop the local hardware for small stuff even though it’s about 25 per cent more than the box stores, but I see no difference in ordering from Amazon or going to Home Depot or Lowes, since they are both big corporate,except that the generator would have cost one hundred dollars more at the store. So I justify.

1 Like