Hydrogen Storage

So Robert Murray Smith is working with some stuff that can absorb , store and release Hydrogen. This is very interesting and may get the wheels turning thinking of a way to apply this to gasification.

For instance this requires heat to release the Hydrogen. So one way this could be done is you have two storage systems. one that releases and one storing. You run the machine and store the gas as it is produced, while using its heat to release the hydrogen stored in the other storage system to application.

3 Likes

I like the conveeniance of not carry the extra space and weight of gasifier, but storeing hydrogen from burning wood seems wood really need a lots more chopped wood, just saveing the hydrogen, its bad enough now storeing up enough wood too dry before it good for gasification, Though posible maybe on a industrial scale larger setup just burning trash or non chunked wood, or no pellots perchased.??

3 Likes

Allmost seems to good to be true. Need to look further in to it. Thanks for sharing Matt!

3 Likes

Will this absorb ONLY hydrogen? What if there are other gases present, such as methane? I came to the forum with another question actually… what happens to the H2 in a stream of woodgas, does it slowly combine with carbon to form methane or other light hydrocarbons?

2 Likes

No it needs a catalyst to create the reactions to form new components. Thats what the gasifier does. I dont know anything about the tech Robert is playing with so cant answer that part.

2 Likes

Typically these systems use metal hydrides that can chemically store large amounts of hydrogen at pressures at or near atmospheric. The hydrides are poisoned by carbon monoxide contamination though so not great for wood gas / char gas.

It’s tough to beat char gas and a spark engine.

3 Likes