Jesse North Charcoal Lawn Mower

Hello, this is Jesse North. I have started a lawn mower project. It is a charcoal system. I worked on it today. Yesterday I was working on this tank for the hopper. It was an old tar tank off of Dad’s truck. Today I spent making a cyclone. I posted a picture of it in ADAPTech Projects but will post here from now on.

I cut one out first wrong because I did my math wrong and had to re-do it.

KIMG0520 KIMG0519

20 Likes

How is your charcoal project coming along Jessie? Looks like you have a good start. The grass is growing!

4 Likes

Finishing school for the year so I have been pretty busy. I am going to try to work on it next week

3 Likes

I worked on the gasifier some more got the ash clean out and the fill up pipes in. The fill up is 6"and the clean out is 4".
20200421_175725%5B1%5D 20200421_150344%5B1%5D 20200421_155430%5B1%5D 20200421_155436%5B1%5D !

10 Likes

I built a mounting bracket and a throttle valve. I am hoping to fire it in a few days.
20200609_154715 20200609_145137%5B1%5D
That is a Alabama Quarter
20200507_170624 20200507_172643

7 Likes

Hi Jesse,
I like your throttle valve. We have almost the same idea.
Rindert

3 Likes

I have worked on the gasifier some more. I lit it but the mover wouldn’t run on char gas. The magneto was bad got a new one and it ran on starting fluid.

5 Likes

I tried to start on char and, my ash clean out cap melted. So i have to build a metal one. But I got a good flare::grinning::grinning::grinning:.

13 Likes

Way to go Jesse! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

6 Likes

Hey Jesse, If you can sustain a flare, your chargas is good enough to run an engine. If your mower doesn’t run now, it is 99% a problem with the engine. We will be awaiting news of your success so keep us posted.
Gary in PA

4 Likes

I will be trying again as soon as we get home. Me and Dad and Luke and Jakob are in Pensylvania. We went to the battlefield at Gettysburg today and saw all the places. Daddy, Luke and I ran across the 3/4 mile field where the Virginians and Carolinians charged Cemetery Ridge during Pickett’s charge. It was a long run. Even though we weren’t supposed to collect relics, we found a water canteen and a shell casing in the middle of the soybean field near where a big group of Virginians died.

Here is a picture of the canteen and cartridge.

7 Likes

I tried to run it on charcoal and it hit, but I haven’t been able to keep it running for more than a few seconds.
Any advice?

1 Like

On my walk around video of my charcoal lawn tractor I forgot to open the throttle butterfly at first and it acted the way you describe. Is yours electric start or pull rope? If electric, make sure the throttle is open and gradually open the air mix very slow until the right ratio is achieved while cranking.

8 Likes

I will try that.
Thanks

4 Likes

Jesse, can you sustain a flare? If you can, then your chargas is good enough to run the engine. If the chargas sustains a flare and the engine doesn’t run, the problem is the engine.
Gary in PA.

5 Likes