John Deere M

That’s exciting Arvid. I learned on a John Deere B and 50 when I was 8 years old. Never had a problem sitting on it all day cultivating the corn. Was the happiest kid in the world. One could always distinguish the sound of a JD.

Exciting project, I’m also looking for something compact for my next project. Engine sounds good.

I know I know, it doesn’t look like much… but the main parts of the hearth are there as well as the parts for nozzles. If i can find a 1/2 drill i’ll get atleast this buttoned up today.

bit welding done… just need to fully weld in the nozzle tubes and then i can start lookin at the hopper and lower mantle.

Well maybe a welding helmet…
Looking good keep them pics coming.
TerryL

Are your nozzles made out of sparkplug sockets for a ratchet set? Awesome.

Great looking tractor too.

lol… no just inside threaded pipe… pipe plugs will be drilled for nozzles after testing for air tightness…

OH DEERE! Jump’in right on it big guy. The square tubes with the round pipes will be my next cooler. Now, stop playing with the computer and get back to work! : ) Dan

Yup, Arvid we do the same thing. A tip for those that may not know this is we use a 12 point socket with an impact to drive the pipe taps. If you have both a metric and standard socket set you should be able to find a socket to fit any pipe tap. Using this with an impact driver makes it quick and painless.

12 point on a square drive tap, brilliant! Does the “bang, bang, bang” of the impact not bust the tap though?? They seem kinda brittle.

When I first started in the machine build trade, I saw a guy run a tap socket with one. I thought for sure he would break that tap. Two years later I never once saw him break a tap and come to find out that is what those are made for. Using a 12 point is a little sloppy and the pipe taps will sort of self align. We run 3/8 taps regularly like this and wear the threads out before we break them. 1/2" socket fits them perfectly. Any thing smaller than this though might be better to just hand tap. This works well for regular taps as well and your chances of breaking on in an impact is less than using a drill. We do both and also have a set of the tap sockets but are to small for the larger size pipe taps.

Can anyone explain the reason for square tubing with round pipes for me?

its a double row of tubes… total of nineteen… would be hard to do that with round manifolds, there will also be a top and bottom cover plate that can be removed for cleaning if need be

yup Matt, an impact driver is the way to go with pipe threaders.

12 tubes welded in… 7 more to go…

of the million or so brands of impact drivers at the big box stores, which ones do you guys like? not considering price.

thanks
carson

lol… my friend, what ever is on sale… we typically go to our local Canadian Tire… when stuff is on sale it’s usually a pretty good price… and they usually come with a pretty good warranty.

slowly… getting there… 5 more tubes to weld in… and you can see the top removable plate… once it’s all welded together i’ll cut out the access openings under it.

Looking good Arvid !!

Thanks Wayne… i’m trying…