Joni gas generator, version 8.0 (GJ - 8.0)

People, hello everyone!
In this thread I will post all the material that has survived about building a wood gasifier for my car. This system was made as an experimental version to test some ideas related to improving gas quality and flexibility to variable operating modes of the gasifier … So, this is not my first and not the last project, so I ask you to keep all questions about the fragility of the structure with you, I did not plan I have been driving this gasifier all my life and this is just a test version. I used cheap improvised materials and funds to build a gas generator system, they were spent minimally. The entire gasifier block is installed on the hitch of the car, it can be removed and installed back and the conversion of the car from gasoline to gas from wood does not cost me much effort than to attach a trailer to the car. System weight up to 40 kg. Running ahead, this system has long served its purpose and has been replaced by a more perfect one. I drove about 8000-9000 km on it. everything is made of iron from 0.5 mm to 1.0 mm thick, except for the grate.

11 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

the system cooler had the same design.

11 Likes

How do you shake the grate?

3 Likes

I like it. I’m still trying to wrap my head around you getting that kind of longevity out of 40KG of material. I know for fact that my filter housing weighs more than that.

3 Likes

He Is bumper ball hitch shaking the whole system, by road surfaces, I believe BruceJ.
Note the three points mounting: ball more or less system weight centered; then the two gas cooler tubes tab brackets. A Triangle. Leave a bit looseness to tune the shaking.

Yeah. This light of weight. With these thin of materials. Only by good chemical conversion steps balanced by flow heat removal were you able to make this thermally survive. And this a compliment Jodi.
Done up in stainless steel this could be a sold production system. Almost.

Only the outer gasifer barrel inner bottom would be the ash/char/soots capture area.
Did you have build up clogging of the gas tubes?
Next step production unit I would think you would need clean-out cap on the the cooler tubes.
Here we have cast then machined pipe unions. These can be brass braze welded. I see two of these attaching the whole cooler rack assembly. For removal, wash cleaning.

I saw the detail of your welded on tip of air nozzle restrictors. Engineered flow.

The welding quality is amazing. Your barrels lid tops an elegant solution to sealing and negative pressure resisting.

Thanks for letting us see this GJ-8.0
The learning experiences of the before seven shows in this one.
Steve unruh

8 Likes

After this system, there are two more 9.0 and 10.0[quote=“SteveUnruh, post:15, topic:5518, full:true”]

Steve.

it’s 9.0 and later 10.0🥴

8 Likes

GJ - 10.0

9 Likes

Good morning Joni .

Thanks very much for the pictures off car and gasifier .

How many pounds of wood is needed to go as far as one gallon of gasoline ?

We like pictures and videos :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks again
Wayne

6 Likes

It’s evening already, but thanks anyway!:woozy_face: I’m afraid I will make a mistake with your system of measures, so the data will be in Ci. If the moisture content of wood is 12-15%, then its consumption is approximately 2 kg to one liter of gasoline.

10 Likes

Good evening Joni . Thanks for your reply .

I have made statement that 16 pounds of wood will carry me as far a gallon of gasoline . I am very weak in mathematics but I think we are close on wood vs gasoline .

Here we only pay 49 cents a liter for gasoline so this makes your wood more valuable than mine :neutral_face:

Thanks
Wayne

6 Likes