JO's -91 Mazda B2600

Jeff, that’s funny. Most people wouldn’t call it heaven, but I know what you mean :smile:
No, no loader. Muscle force only and a little bit of brain. When too heavy to lift or slide one end at the time I usually park so I can fell across the load. The load must be about half full or the trailer will probably brake. Heavy logs are never allowed to hit the ground. A waste of energy (of position).
Monster trees, that I don’t dare to fell onto even a full load will have to be cut into firewood lengths and rolled up onto the load.

3 Likes

That’s about what it looked like here only 20 years ago. We had 25-30 narrow lots that had been devided between brothers and sisters in every generation for hundereds of years. Noone knew where the lines were. Stones and markers everywhere.
Everything is redone now and we have only two big lots with coordinates and everything.

4 Likes

Looks like quite a bit of chunking material on that load. Guess if you have two wood trucks you will need more chunked wood. TomC

1 Like

Still only one driver :smile: but yes, I’ll feed the chunker some

2 Likes

About that later model actual Mazda engine versus the earlier used Mitsubishi: I know nothing from first hand use.
The 2600 double balance shaft carburetor Mitsubishi’s were relatively slow speed, low RPM torque band. So never really gave any mechanical problems. The three valve MCI “jet” carburetors systems could be difficult to understand in the beginning.
The later 2000cc double balance shaft engines in EFI turbo versions were high-stress, higher RPM. Top balance shaft would pound out and “spin” wear the in-block bearings for this balance shaft - ruining the block.
Net searching I could not even determine if your 2600 Mazda engine has balance shafts. This became common on most all inline four cylinder engines above 2.3L to counter big-piston induced engine hopping.
Mazda pickups can be confusing over on this side of the pond as Ford had owed 46% of Toyo-Koyo Auto and dictated a lot. So here a Mazda pickup might be a Ford design production later on. A 70’s Ford compact pickup actually a Mazda manufactured to FORD demanded market specs.

Anyhow. As you say a lower speed high torque engine so “big bubbles - no troubles”.
Regards
tree-farmer (with no wild growing aspen/birch within 1200 miles) Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Hey KrhistijanL, I am from the “Do not ask. Do Not Tell.” generation.
Sacks? Sacks?
Me no see no sacks.
Ahhh. Flower bed beauty topping. Organic. Local sourced.
S.U.

4 Likes

J.O.,
Congrats on the new project truck. It looks really well taken care of for its age. Most Mazda (and other makes of less than full-size) trucks of that vintage here in Indiana have been well used and used-up! Hope you get lots of time to work on it! :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Steve and Mike,
Mike, I guess we’re both in the starting blocks then. Lot’s of work ahead, while Steve can go on armchair reading by the fireplace :smile:

2 Likes

Ha! Not quite woodfire warming season just yet here.
Anyhow heavy cast iron (US&Belgium) and heavy plated steels free-standing wood-burning stoves here. Both with drop-in, easy-out replaceable refractory brick liners. Both with BIG full front air-tight, bones&soul red-energy radiating-out glass doors.
I am still cool mornings burning off separated out household papers/cardboard and packaging. Discretely. Early. Just at light break. With as little smoke as possible. Just doing my part to keep those green-growing carbons in active-use, recycling.

Yup. Usually got three books going, reading, concurrently at any time.
A deep think, very mind stretching one for the 1-2-3 hour in 24 that I am able. Usually early wake-up time.
A lighter info-read one for 02:30 gone busy mind again insomnia wake up time. One, two hours mind-filling and back to bed for sound sleeping.
And always a busy plot novel set-aside for couch sitting with the wife when she insists on watching “her” things. Cooking programs. House/home finding/redecorating. Oddly: the latest craze “reality” wilderness survival stunting shows. (I am too speak-out-loud technical critical try to follow these. “Grow Stronger” “Grind/Gut it out” “Fear less” “Buck-up, Buckie”)
The world-travel shows and nature & natural-history programs, and some of the comedy programs I will set aside my novel and join in.

Regards
Steve unruh

3 Likes

Sounds like you´re describing our evening couch sitting. I have not yet learned our latest remote (2 years old) :smile:

3 Likes

Hey back onto your Mazda J.O.
It is still seeming from looking at the parts ordering catalogues that this Mazda engine may indeed have a chain driven dual shaft balancer system.
Searching for this I came across with Owners off-idle power complaints asking for professional Net-tech help advice.
One was advised to pull the cam cover and check for timing chain wear-stretch causing later cam and ignition timings.
The other was advised that the EFI system cold to warmed up needed a quick responding Intake(air) Temperature Sensor response. The actual working Tech-Advisor says he has to remove this sensor from the intake manifold and clean off PCV/oil deposits often to restore sensor response.
Regards
Steve unruh

1 Like

Thank you,
I’ll start with the temp sensor.

Cam cover requires draining the oil and pulling the pan. Chain stretch feels unlikely since it runs very quietly both pulling and motor braking. I read there is quite a lot if ratteling when the the plastic chain guides wear out. Milage is only 190 000 km on this one and they should last for another 100 000.

I’m about to fire up the 1947, zero maintenace, Fergie. My grandfather always told me work is no1, playing is no2. However running the Fergie feels like a little bit of both :smile:

8 Likes

I bought a new 64 Pontiac Tempest that the engine was a four cylinder-- half a V8 == even laid on its side. It had a plastic timing chain tensioner that failed very often. Before it failed you had good warning-- the engine sounded like a tin can with a bunch of marbles in it. If the Mazda is anything like that Pontiac, you will have plenty of warning before you are in trouble. So, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. TomC

4 Likes

Well, I did some minor experimenting just before dark today.
I pulled the temp sensor to clean it. It was not dirty at all. Hardly showed on the white rag.
Also I took the oppertunity to measure it. When cold (15C) it showed 40 kohm. Squeezing it between my fingers it started to drop. Down to 35 kohm in just a few seconds. Seems to work ok. I have no idea if the numbers are right, but it’s alive.

AFM next. Pulled the electrical connection. No difference at all. Runs the same. Cold start - idles but stalls with the slightest throttle. When warmed up it runs ok up until half throttle. Runs really ruff/rich when reving more than half throttle.
Same thing with the electric plugged in but the air pipe totally disconnected.
Blew AFM clean with compressed air. Same same.

To me this indicates the AFM is dead, which means I’m running with only the the TPS as the main input since there’s no lambda involved.
I’m surpriced it runs as good as it does in normal driving.

I read these early mpfi often had cheap capacitors in the magic box that start to leak. I hope that’s not the case here. I’ll try measure the voltage from the AFM tomorrow at different airflows. I hope it’s dead.

6 Likes

Hey J.O.
Careful condemning this particular hot-wire air flow meter just by a voltage test.
This may be a frequency output sending one.
Hot wire current needed change, translated to a variable frequency output signal within the meter head.
You really do need a manual specific to this vehicle system.
Or a darned good to the system experienced human tech.
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

You remind me of my Chevy conversion, the “mad science, make or break, have no clue about electronics” times :smile: thanks god for SteveU and others from this site.

4 Likes

Well we do, and have for quite a while lived in an electronics world.
THREE times I memorized resistor color codes. Tried to keep straight different capacitor values and capabilities. And this was back in the easy analog circuit days.
Finally took my head out of my ass, and said Sod-This.
As applied it is all about Inputs to get driven out desired Outputs.
Then it becomes easy.
What are the needed Inputs? Are they all being supplied in should be usable ranges?
Not good Outputs?
O.K. Change out the Output maker.
Have to change out that Output maker, again? And Again?
Sod that system. Sod that component maker. Sod that system designer!
Move onto a combo that DOES work; and is in ALL working conditions long lived. When it ages degrades is easy to Diag, and available to change out.
The very best Automotive electronic combo systems keep working in some fashion even into progressive systems failures.
This Mazda system seems to be that. It still does start. Runs, after a fashion.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

Very nice JO, awesome condition for a '91. Hopefully you can figure out what’s wrong with it!

Just keep that cap on there :grin:

2 Likes

Ups and downs in life:
Coming home from a nightshift this morning I shut the Rabbit woodburner down. When I woke up the rain was pouring down. With a cup of coffee by the computer I found an add on the net. Went out and lit up again and look what followed me home this time :smile:

That was the “up” for today.
The “down” was finding the new Mazda MAF in the mailbox and discovering that it´s the wrong kind. This one looks completly different. The plug doesn´t even fit. It has five pins intead of six :frowning_face:

7 Likes

JO, might be a design change in the middle of the production year. Take the VIN number and use it when ordering parts, this helps , sometimes… Is it the original engine? That can mess things up when ordering new parts if they did a engine swap. Great find on the tanks.
Bob

3 Likes