Life goes on - Summer 2017

We would do the same with calves when they got sick. Helped alot settling their digestive system.

2 Likes

Kevin it can be done with human waste but you have to be careful. It is very common in Tiawan I know from my time there probably other parts of Asia as well.

Animal waste is alot safer because there are less common pathogens which cows get that can make you sick. I was told here on the farm always use waste from animals that doesn’t eat meat and anything with a 4 chambered stomach is better because seeds from weeds get broken down better.
Here when I was a kid we use fresh cow manure all the time without ever having any trouble. My grandfather always said you can’t get too much manure on the garden. After 100 years or so of gardening in the same spot with wood ashes and manure added every year the soil is more productive then anywhere else on the property so he must have taught me something that works…

I do have the book mentioned above it looks to be correct in how you have to handle human waste to me.

3 Likes

Dan, the only qualification that I would add is that cow manure isn’t so benign, at least fresh manure, as there have been many cases of ecoli contamination of foods stemming from fresh cow manure. All fecal matter has to be managed appropriately and with deference. According to composting experts, they claim that composted material has greater fertility. Also, a compost pile is the perfect place to incorporate and innoculate biochar, bringing the discussion back to charcoal.

I favour more biochar, and more nutrient recycling.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explaining about the book, i have next too no farming life experiance.

1 Like

Feel free to ask all the farm questions you want. It is always nice to see somone start gardening. I find it soo nice to pull out canned and frozen vegetables from my own garden all winter long reminds me of the summer and raising them

1 Like

There was a elderly woman near me some time ago, with the most butifull lettuce you ever seen. She had so much she gave it to all the neighburs and viligers, never revealing her secret recepy for gardning.
Well, untill a neighbur saw her doing her “job” in the lettuce row, burrying the “secret” in the soil like a cat :smile:

4 Likes

Thats enough rabbit pellets, I had a one time gardon and i planted bird shit bought in a bag planted in a chovel hole in clay mixed , and i was tomato healthy till september when the growing season stalled.I need too hurry and do that this year at least, and as Dan sayed, being able and planned for growing own food is a good winter thought, and wize with todays uncertain food priceing.And i dont loook forward too grass hopper lunch as daniel in the bible, i think it was daniel.

1 Like

John the Baptist was reported to dine on locusts and wild honey. I guess the honey made the locusts taste better.

Hey Don M.

While we are eating our charcoal and fertilizing are gardens we might want to keep a good supply of maggots around just in case we get a cut or scratch :grinning:

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/grd/6149860017.html

I bet with this medical procedure on a elevator full of people would be all yours in no time !!!

1 Like

Pew!!! Soaked in sweat. Drinking gallons of water.
We´re having 25 C, mid 70s, and sunny. Hot like h###. I might not have to light the gasifier. Close to auto ignition temps. Funny spring. We got rid of the snow only a couple of weeks back???

4 Likes

Thanks Mike it was john the babtist, you can tell i have poor reading comp skills. Baker college made me take comp class for my auto school coarse , and i had a verry hard time just passing comp one.

1 Like

Mr. Wayne - that is enough to gag a moggot!

1 Like

Hay harvest season is here

7 Likes

Hello Kristijan,
It really surprises me how far ahead of us (my location) your weather is. What a great looking spot around you! I’m living (last 45 years) on the flat lands where the foothills of the Adirondack mtns give way to the St. Lawrence Valley to the west and north and the flat lands of the Champlain Valley on the east. I grew up 100 miles from here right in the heart of The Tiptop Town of the Adirondacks, Tupper Lake. Our home right on the shore of Simon pond, idylic setting. The town is in decline now with, it seems, a for sale sign on every other house. Industry gone, warmer winters and lower snowfall killed the ski slope business and tourist trade at a stand still. Glad to be here!
Pepe

2 Likes

Hepatitis can pass through human waste systems directly into tomatoes.But if you compost/“ferment” human waste/urine respectively, they can be used as safe fertilizers. Here in the US, if you get caught using it for crops for sale you would probably end up on the news. In Many other countries it is a safe and acceptable solution to the shortage of nitrogen fertilizers. we have a urine diversion latrine, but we only use it for fruit trees and other indirect crops. Berry bushes, fruit trees, pasture, ornamentals, never on direct vegetable production. It would probably be fine for things that are cooked. I would never grow lettuce, radish or other uncooked vegetables that way.

2 Likes

During the week, our crew will occasionally find time to grill out at a park nearby. It takes forever to get the briquettes going, even with heavy doses of lighter fluid… So, I brought along some of the “real stuff”, direct from a gasifier ash dump. Made a little mound, lit up in a couple minutes, and had the first round of food grilled before the briquettes even got hot… Boy does real charcoal grill nicely!

I may have to make some more… :grin:

17 Likes

Yep, it sure does! When I have some meat to grill, I fire up my big TLUD stove using pure Mesquite hardwood fuel (pencil sized or slightly larger), and when it is converted into charcoal, I dump the glowing charcoal directly into my Whitlock Wood Forge (homebuilt copy), turn up the blower for a minute or so, and am grilling a few minutes later. I never have used briquettes…and have never bought lighter fluid. Works like a champ.

5 Likes

My neighbor has been helping us with our pond. We drained it last week and have cleaned up the bottom. The original owner dug it too deep and it doesn’t hold water. It just drains out the bottom. We’re moving some clay around from the sides to cover the sand and putting down a pond liner. That hose is 25’ long. The holes are for a bridge. And I’ve setup a water pump off to the left of the outlet next to our inlet to use this water in the yard and garden. We have yet to setup the suction pipe, need to finish fixing the bottom first. We’re at 168’ elevation here.

3 Likes

I grilled steaks for 30 people last night using an old junky propane grill. I was wishing for a real-charcoal grill then too. That food looks great chris.

Post deleted by me K.