Life goes on - Summer 2020

Well I worked professionally full time in the Dealer Shops thru 2005, and then switched back to the Independent shops to finish out in 2007.
Dealer work you learned to focus only on that manufacturers products. Sounds easy. But Toyota, Chryslers, Buick, Nissan, Saturn that I’d work with; those spanned decades of put into production changes.
And the Independents . . . . well nearly anything that did get produced and sold. Had to read 4-6 monthly Trades magazines and sign up attend any and all offered classes to try and understand the what’s why’s of it.

There really was not patience-time left for hot-rodding and futuristic jabber-do-nothing like before I’d gone full time flat-rate’er.
ONLY dealership work and Independent shop work As A Master could get me health Insurance for the family.
My recreation fun became hunting and fishing.

Plus the various manufacturers were too good at pushing out “better” systems that could not cut it out in the real world.

I’m fighting now the PTU no-service for life unit in the wife’s now 140K all wheel drive Ford Edge. These are overheat grenade’ing at 60-150K. ONLY 1/2 quart capacity of 85W-145 gear oil. Yes. I can too suck these out. And long tube force in changes of full synthetic every year. Hoping for 250K service life. $950. + to change out.
Then . . . the timing chain driven deep guts internal water pump!! 60-130K failures. Bullshit design. “Designed” to sell new cars at 7 years longest.
Now four different coolant types changes since 2007 by Ford just to try and extend this engine killing better-idea failure. Colant directly into engine oil kills that engine. Opps. This engine became the Police Pursuit vehicles engine. Ain’t a long evolved 4.6L SOHC V-8 in those Crown Vics.
I watch a particular youtuber who is getting past 300K on his Edges.
How? He full coolant flushes every 20-30K to keep the coolant alkaline biased; not become abrasive “chunky” from particulates clumping.
No exotic coolants. Just standard Peak brand.

My point fellows is all of the different real world factors over rides woo-woo tech.
Yep. Bruce is right. The good engineers know well the theoretical limits.
Service Engineers know the practical necessities.
I am now driving a 2004 Camry with throttle-by-wire; chain driven DOHC with exhaust phaser camshaft. The wife’s l-o-n-g chaindrive water pump Ford is DOHC with all four cams variable timing phaser controlled.

I’d be happier back in 3.3L V6 and I-6 4.0L short chain cam-in-block pushrod world. Easy 300K with non-exotic oil changes. Nice simple valves cleaning timed port F.I. systems
Just like the personals computer world a fellow does have to keep up. But NOT be the lead goat!
Ha! That is what I like about this Scotty Kilmar fellow. He keeps up knowledge-wise. But his own use. Like me he wants 5-10 years in-service proof. Let the sheeple-goats do the proving. Take the dollars lost depreciations.
Just like me.
Now two different family with Mazda SkyActive. Four different family with different gahk!! Gasoline Direct Injected. Intake valve oil cokers as bad as any woodgas used. With no good in-service cleaning solutions. Two other family members with dual turbo small engine EcoBoosts in their full sized pickups. GDI to boot. Really need an add on PCV system oil separators! Net search these to find. Theses family do not care. Buy. Use. Buy new again. Bad-bad used vehicles to fall into down the road.
New woo-woo is no damn good.
Trust a 13 year old kid with your life? Nope.
Goota’be at least a 24-26 y.o. And be hard learned wise.

S.U.

4 Likes

Good article TomH.
Thanks for this.
S.U.

2 Likes

One of the last projects I worked on when I was an Ironworker in Detroit was the conveyor line for the Cadillac Northstar engine. So we saw a lot of that engine in it’s post-development phase. I thought it was a total thing of beauty. Had a hard time understanding why the starter was under the valley pan so that you had to pull the entire fuel delivery system off to service it and I guess that did In fact turn out to be a cluster-fluck but those heads were fascinating. They were the first OHC and four valve per cylinder engines I had ever seen. Made total sense to eliminate push rods, rocker arms. After a nearly twenty year run Cadillac went old school and is back to the basic engine GM has been building since what, 1954 or 55. Also worked on the infrastructure when GM decided to build a rotary engine back in the seventies and tooled up a whole section of the Willow Run plant and then never ran a production engine down the line.

I don’t know if there is a point to this other than I have stuck pretty close to running small block Chevy’s for most of my life. I could probably assemble one in my sleep. When Checker Cab was in business they bought 327 Chevy engines. Took them apart, blueprinted them and were getting over 300,000 miles out of them, city driving and a lot of idling time and this was at a time when the average consumer was lucky to see 80,000. I thought we would be driving nuclear fusion air cars by now but we still can’t seem to design much past a sixty five year old engine and the folks here are putting in a lot of hours to fuel them with pre-gasoline fuel. One of these days, someone is going to market a steam car again.

6 Likes

Picked the last of the 2020 pole beans this afternoon. I can’t remember picking this late in October before.

9 Likes

Wow !! How time flies !!

12 years ago this week we made our coast to coast and back trip.

7500 miles on WOOD :smiley:

12 Likes

I remember that. I also remember you won that “Escape From Berkeley” race. Or maybe I should say you were the winner of the participants who didn’t cheat. I hate to start any s#@t, but I really lost respect for JM after that. It’s why I never went out there when they were working on gasifying that Lister.
How long were you out on the road before and after the race?

3 Likes

Hard frozen down here last night. Dry wind for the next two days.
I un-tarped my reserve wood stack. Was ground contact too wet to put up in the woodshed.
Hoping for at least one winter extended always frozen spell.
Woodstoving actual wettest now hard frozen wood has taught me a bit what many live with happy, most of their winter.

BruceJ. I agree with APL race disenchantment.
But by the set up rules to their, “Escape from Berkley by Any Means Possible” the vegetable oil car winner was within their rules.
Ha! O.K. Next time some Urban contrives an Escape Race, I swear I’m gonna’ show up with my gasoline Toyota. My green plastic low coolant drain pan. And an angle cordless electric drill.
Just crawl under and “tap” any and all unattended vehicles for fuel. “Any Means”.
My plastic coolant drain pan even has a nice built-in nozzle.
True shtf and a vegi-oil car would have to be a grocery store looter. Ha! Tee-shirts trading would not cut it. Silver coin, ammo trading, sets you up for down the road being bushwhacked.
History lessons. Current todays Syria lessons.
Gamers, game. Real life teaches best.
S.U.

3 Likes

Hello Bruce

A lot of miles were logged before and after the race but can not really call it a race because we were penalized for going too fast :frowning_face:

Here is a list of states and the order we drove through them . AL Ga Sc Ga Al Ms La Tx Ok Tx Nm Az Nv Ca Nv Az Nm Tx Ok Ar Tn Ms Al

10 Likes

Steve,

…wrote Escape from Berkeley organizer Jim Mason in an e-mail announcing the new race. “Where DARPA had the Grand Challenge, the rednecks the Cannonball Run, the truckers a Convoy, and the hippies a bunch of WVO buses broken down on the side of the road, now the collected geek tribes propose to start their ‘engines’ on something other than a petroleum-based fuel, and cause their varied schemes for land-based transport to not be in Berkeley, and somehow, by some means, show up in Las Vegas three days later, using only fuels/power/motive force scavenged ‘for free’ along the route.”

Jim says it right there…“other than petroleum based fuel”. Fresh soybean oil cannot exist without petroleum. Petroleum fertilizer, petroleum powered farm equipment, and petroleum powered delivery equipment. The ROI is negative. Wayne Keith had the only ride there that fit the definition. Well, I guess the pedal bikers and wood fired steam engines were good too.
If you want to split those hairs, then a guy could have taken a diesel electric train to Los Vegas.
I run thousands of gallons of vegatable oil powered hours on my equipment, only because of the unique situation involving my location. We are too far from the renderers for it to pay for them to come up here and get used vegetable oil. So often times I can get the restaurants to clean and filter the oil and place it back in the cubes it comes in all for free. This means there’s much less work for me than cutting wood. I’m under no delusion that vegetable oil is a sustainable fuel. In fact it is more expensive than regular petroleum when you consider the fact that I’m burning fuel that is really food. I know that one day petroleum will be priced beyond my means again, and I will be burning wood. At the present time, wood is the only road motor fuel replacement for petroleum. That is extremely scary. Nobody really realizes that. That’s why I keep my hand in this wood gas business so that I’m not caught too far off guard.

5 Likes

Thanks BruceJ. I was wrong.
Too long ago. I’d forgotten the specifics.
The three most powerful words in the English language?
“I was wrong.”

Ha! As I was writing this the wifie shoved two of her latest purchases for the kids at me. Couple of some kind of orange plastic flat lights. Needed 2 triple AAAs each. I’d refused to use my expensive made-in-Japan rechargeables yesterday. She slammed down some cheapest made-in-China AAA disposables .
“What kinnda light s are these? They only strobe flash.”
Pumpkin lights, she says.
“What’s wrong with wax candles?” asks I.
Oh husband. Nobody uses candles anymore.
Really?
I am I so stuck back in the last millennia?
Figure this. The energy to make, ship and then dispose of these use one season then break consumer plastics.
Versus just a bit’o petroleum wax. (could be bees wax)
Sigh.
At least we still primary heat with renewable carbon neutral wood.
S.U.

8 Likes

hello all. I have been out of the loop for a while. Had a string of health problems lately. Kidney stones, back pain, and now just getting over Covid-19. But God is good, and we have all we need. Thanks for the prayers. Billy

13 Likes

i have to use these words quite often… :grin:

5 Likes

“I thought I made a mistake once - but I was wrong” :grinning:

8 Likes

That happened to me once also.

3 Likes

Mistakes mean you are not fully committed. I’m FUBAR.

5 Likes

Wife and I walked a few miles up the mountain this morning. I’ve been close by a lot, but this is the first time in 45 years I stumbeled across this old fireplace.
My grandfather took me here in the early 70s to show me where he and his brother slept as teenagers, when cutting timber during WW1. There used to be a small log cabin/shed around this fireplace. Just enough to fit two spruce branch beds.

16 Likes

Nice hat ! plus 20 characters

6 Likes

That is very interesting.

2 Likes

Thread continues here:

1 Like