Life goes on - Summer 2020

Well, that is good news! Anti chamber means direct injection?
I harvested some small barrels for a simple fire so hope to show something in the (far) future. I am not as fast as some other guys here.

3 Likes

Here is a link on injection mode :

Kubota probably has a vortex pre-chamber system that was also the most widespread in engines.
Years ago, I tested the addition of LPG on a Ford 1.8 diesel engine and it turned out great, the LPG ratio should not exceed 20%, it improves combustion, cleaner exhaust, better torque.
Yesterday, however, I tested adding wood gas to an old Deutz engine, wood gas: air ratio to be somewhere 1: 2 and a limited amount of diesel at 30% of full, … torque similar to 100% diesel injection. … I think this will be a very useful thing

6 Likes

Ha ha. Hoped that you replied. You are one of the fast guys. Did not see your pictures of the motor on a laptop yet. Phone is to small for a good look. I think my Lister is direct injection. Kubota I dont know but going to test anyway. Very nice that you had good results. Cant wait to see more.

3 Likes

Most of the small Kubota engines I am familiar with use some kind of anti-chamber design. I think its for emissions reasons.
The important take away is if you look at the previous post in this thread you see the shape of the chamber and how it is connected to the main chamber.
This offset ball the injector fires into has gasses swirling around extremely fast and violently mixing.
The Direct injection engines tend to have a little better thermal efficiency because you have less surfaces to sink heat.

Any internal combustion engine is all about heating gasses to increase pressure and expand those gasses to make work.
We can increase thermal efficiency by increasing this expansion effect ( higher compression works to a point ).
We can run the engine hotter to reduce the amount of heat soaked away into the engine’s cooling systems ( less temperature differential )
Or we can design an engine with a minimum amount of cool surfaces like the Direct injection method.

DI has in the past shown itself to be a little more efficient but sootier and dirty in operation.

If its one of the FL 912 family an air cooled anti-chamber diesel I want to warn you about a couple of things ( I know a little about this very clean for its era engine ).

Those Duets don;t like to run cold and tend to glaze the cylinder if you do not load them down to work them.
They might wet stack and run cool in cooler climates at light load.
If you run it cold running moist wood gas that might cause you trouble.

Conversely if you run it too hot and are not running enough fuel through the injector you might boil and cook the fuel in the tip and damage the injectors.

Injectors for a lot of the Bosch systems can be bought online from MICO a division of Bosch from Asia for a hell of a lot less money.
KOEL of India is good example they still make a clone of the 912 and use MICO fuel system parts so you can repair a 912 for a lot less money of you shop smart.

This is only a guess on my part.
But I would bet this Ebay seller is using aftermarket ( even cheaper ) or MICO parts.
Seems to me if you swap the first digit from a Bosch number from 0 to 9 it directly converts to a MICO number ( not sure about that without some research)

4 Likes

You wrote it well ,Wallace!

1 Like

There are some flashes of spring from our country

11 Likes

There is still some snow in the shaded areas of the of the northland.
The run off is more or less done too…

My mind is turning to growing a few vegetables this summer.
Looks like it will be long summer around the house anyways.
In my morning reads today I learned of this fellow and I thought I would share his story about the worlds largest private seed collection and how he shares them to preserve.

https://www.scatterseedproject.org/will-bonsall

What an interesting person to listen to.
“If there is something called a free lunch its a productive hardwood forest”
This quote sticks in my mind because he is talking a lot of about using trees to build soil and provide fodder food for people directly.
An interesting talk about efficient use of land.

5 Likes

41067986_10216554350549201_8462272757915189248_n

HOE!
effective old folk remedy against:

• Depression
  • an outbreak of anger and rage
  • fat
  • boredom
  • light complexion
  • answering
7 Likes

Ugg. Already been stump hole filling hoeing. Then early garden. prep deep shovel spading. Now yesterday today first season yards mowing
I tired sore, you bet. Tan darkening takes a bit longer. S.U.

8 Likes

We got the first 2 lambs today.

16 Likes

Chris thank you for fixing my site .I really missed it.

Jan,
I didn’t pay attention when I visited you, but are those Gotland-sheep?

1 Like

Yes, it is gotland sheep that we have.

9 Likes

blessed Easter holidays to all

5 Likes

Hope, best wishes and all!

" Post must be 20 characters of more… So what do you add to that ? "

3 Likes

So I got this Dump Truck in a day ago for restoration work on the dump bed. Im going to use this project to launch a new company, for industrial equipment repair / restoration, custom metal fabrication, specialized machine design and manufacturing and custom automation. Custom specialized automated machinery is where I come from and now I have advanced programming under my belt that pretty completes my skill set to build machinery form concept to turnkey products.

So next week Ill start cutting off the cancer on this thing, then straighten out the existing metal and get all the surface rust off. Then Ill start CNC cutting all the replacement metal and metal glue it on.

10 Likes

We got to use our new tall hoist today. Had a big chipper come in that had thrown a blade and busted through the drum. Jakob cut out the bad steel , rolled a new thicker plate and welded it in. But only after pulling out the cutter drum seen here.

KIMG0496

He heated up the bent part and beat it back down with a jack hammer.
Turned out that a heavy steel digging bar worked better.
KIMG0498

KIMG0488 KIMG0491 KIMG0502 KIMG0508

While he was doing that, the girls were sorting all the bolt bins for the past two days. They have sorted around 23 five-gallon buckets of bolts and hardware.
KIMG0481 KIMG0482

While that was happening, Luke and Jesse and I were putting the metal on the new shop. I will have to post some pics of that tomorrow because I forgot to take them. I will try if I can, but we are expecting tornadoes in the early morn ing, so we will see if it is possible.
:KIMG0448
We also decided to put out a little extra garden this year considering the uncertainty of things going on. SO Jakob got the David Bradley going a few days ago and Luke and I have been plowing.

KIMG0472

I went to town to get supplies, including seed. A couple years ago I bought 20 of these fireman air breathers for the boxes they were in. Turned out they all work and are full. So we use them for jobs that are very dusty or smoky. I wore one to town to avoid bad air. Lisa at the co op said I was the best prepared customer in RANDOLph County. Laugh if you want to, but I’m not sick. Many of the businesses here have shut down because they can’t get the locals to take things seriously enough. We are having our own little spike in this part of Alabama because of it. I know 2 so far that have died.

Still lots of Mechanic work happening too. And I’m getting calls to come do lots of construction bids, and skid steer work, etc. I guess people are home and bored and want to do projects.

KIMG0447
I think we’ll probably go for a Sunday drive tomorrow in the 95 just to burn some wood. It doesn’t seem right to have so much wood sitting here and not be gasifying any of it. :smile::grin::face_with_hand_over_mouth::s

13 Likes

Hay Billy , I feel your pain :neutral_face:

7 Likes

I drove across town to day to a sister plant to get a circuit breaker.
Parts are getting hard to come by now.
There was a road block, there were riot control barriers, lines and arrows painted on the sidewalks.
Cameras everywhere…
Yellow ropes to direct foot traffic.
I saw 3 people in a plant that should have hundreds in it!
One foreman I know from years back who smiled and painted arrows…
The first aid attendant I knew from way back too and she said its a disaster waiting to happen

I think this is the first time I have ever been scared of something like this on a mine site.
I’ve been to gold mines with less barriers to movement.

4 Likes

The number of hospitalizations has dropped from a high of 423 Thursday to 331 today with with only 8 more deaths during the same period with a total today of 81. There’s hope.

Happy Easter

3 Likes