Life goes on - Summer 2021

From one peasant to another, making due with what you have or can scrounge without the Kings approval or funding makes a man stronger in my eyes. Anyone can empty the bank account for shinny goods. One reason I have such high respect for Wayne’s design on the gassifier. Make do with what you have and prove 'em all wrong!
That being said the taxman won’t let up. Real life Robin Hood and sheriff Nottingham, they keep taking and you gotta hide your goods to keep them. Hard enough to keep land and not be taxed to death on it. Or in this climate to try to BUY land to get started

5 Likes

So true !

I need more characters.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more on the above :+1:
Eventually, ordering on-line will no longer be a useful skill.

6 Likes

Sadly, I’m not a real Peasant. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I say that with a tear in my eyes.

Woodgas make us all one-in-a-million. Hardly peasant.
Now re-making cast off things into something useable again is a one-in-thousand-skill.
Craftsman; artificer; jack-of-all; tinkerer; artisan; -smith; -wright; -maker covers the lot of it. Hardly peasants either.
Getting rare earth magnets set in space-age epoxy to within 1mm is very good Craftsman working. He did this without a lathe or machine V-block centers.
And his site does say using washing machine motors. So why not dig out the better ones, eh. Been in service now for a bit over 20 years. Being kipped, dumped, shredded recycled every day now.

And artisan does not mean Artist.
Artisan it MUST work/function/provide good.
Artist: just look, sound appealing.
S.U.

7 Likes

It is a newer technology. I don’t know how accurate it is. I am pretty sure I saw a research paper on it a few years back, and I -think- there is a much higher priced one on the market.

If it is accurate (which I question), or at least ballpark accurate, it is totally worth the 15 dollars. Now the real question to me is that seemingly the 3-1 version would need the same information the 6-1 is using, because seemingly you would need temp and moisture to get an accurate npk reading. Then it also measures EC, which is more a hydroponic thing. but I wonder if it just needs a firmware flash or something to turn it into a 6-1. I’m half-tempted to order one just to find out how accurate it is, but im leary about the software because it looks like it was written in chinese.

1 Like

Wait. The multi-pole direct drives work with the low wind speed applications? I have only seen them used on the high wind speed, 3 bladed turbines.

1 Like

It is an interesting channel. I am going to look at it later.

You can get under 200 bucks pretty easy with either a savonius turbine out of a 55 gallon drum, or fab wind turbine blades with pvc pipe. Depending on your wind speed. And the obligatory repurposed washing machine motor. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really want to try making a VAWT out of an old barrel at some point. After cutting all the trees on my hilltop, it is suddenly feeling a lot windier! I have too many irons in the fire to consider doing it anytime soon, but it is going on the list for sure. I like the idea of having an off-grid triad: Water, Sun, and Wind. For now, I will just have to just enjoy the thought of building it!

3 Likes

It works but it is only more efficient for low wind speeds. I looked at it for pond aeration. Solar is a better choice at this point though because it is in a low area with too much brush around it.

1 Like

Savonius is based on drag in stead of lift, you lose 50% in power…

3 Likes

It’s good to have choices and see as many options as possible because you never know when you will need them. Keep the brain alive, keep questioning. It’s really a non-issue to me because it is unlikely that I would get to build a windmill. I’ll be lucky to finish the gasifier. The more options/ideas people see the better they will be with what ever future projects. Not to mention that solar blows away wind. Of course even that depends were one lives.

3 Likes

They work better at lower wind speeds because they have a lower cut in speed like 4mph vs 15mph. Thus they can produce when a turbine can’t and don’t require as high of tower to operate.

1 Like

Let’s see, 80F day then deep freeze snow days, then 90F day, then forest fire and now the Troopers storm the place to catch a perpetrator. They fished him out of the creek, maybe some kind of swamp creature. Anyhow, the troopers were professional and courteous.

I wonder what’s next ?

8 Likes

That’s an interesting day!

2 Likes

My willow harvest is stolen.

My dearest half is going to built some decorative shelter or pergola or something like that. We will see.

12 Likes

Yeah, 15 mph is basically a wind storm around these parts :grinning: We had a wind gust of 40mph once; it blew every last piece of sheet metal off my firewood stacks. I suspect I would be unlikely to ever produce enough wind power for a turbine to be worth the time spent building it, but I do still think it would be fun.

3 Likes

Well if you are going the turbine route. Rather then dealing with the township to put up a tall tower. It will work a lot better if you build a couple of large pole barns, and angle them so the wind is funneled between them and maybe put in a loading ramp in between. You might be able to get one of the pvc turbines to pay for itself. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I had thought of putting a windmill between my barns in the old road but come winter I would have to take it down or the snow fall would take it down for me.

1 Like

Wind is strong and constant , near by is farm called “windy hill”
A wind project was thought of . There was a sign in every yard against it .
County passed ordnance .

WIND ENERGY CONVERSION SYSTEMS SITING
H.Setbacks. All WECS towers shall provide the following minimum setbacks:1.From all property lines: All WECS towers shall be setback a distance of not less than 2,640 feet or 5.5 times the height of the WECS including the blades at the highest point, whichever is greater. A participating Landowner may waive this setback requirement, but in no case shall a WECS tower be located closer to a primary structure than 1,500 feet or three times the height of the WECS including the blades at the highest point, whichever is greater.
There 5,280 Feet in a Mile

1 Like