Life goes on - Summer 2021

Some people are also shy to make a post.
Like Monsieur Edward from France with his Imbert on a vintage French truck.

4 Likes

Yes I am sure there a a lot of checking in and reading on this site with no comments being done. Administrator Chris, has possible information on the sites usage everyday like how many hits and stuff like that. I hit the like button a lot and make comments.
I remember when I start found this DOW site I only read and did not dare to make a comment. I was running in stealth mode, Lol.
Now you can’t get me to shut up, Lol.
I just love this DOW site with all the friends from different parts of the world. Places I will probably never get to visit, but threw them I get the real deal of their life style. It is so very cool. Some of the other, other part of gasification like the off subject topics we have, that are so wonderful.

Bob

8 Likes

I hope he post it here. Did you find him on You Tube Cody?

3 Likes

Yep, I was stealth mode for over a year, reading anything I could find on gasification but I’ll admit it never came together untill I bought the book and joined the forum and saw the premium side. That’s what it all started to make sense and became ten times more interesting with all the information you could ever need all the questions asked all the experiments done and still being done. It hit home even better when my wide eyed bride saw the truck running on wood for the first time!

10 Likes

Good topic to point out BobMac. And with your suggested solution.

Here, the DOW is really like all other internet social Groups; and even all other intentional face to face social groups.

The pointed out here math’s here do NOT create the phenomena - they only explain the organic evolved results.
And the DOW is not immune to the many faceted real individual reasons for this evolution.

But . . . being a free expression joining together; WE: the individual, get to decide who we will be.
A wall is made of filler bricks/blocks and bonding mortar. Takes both in the best proportions. Few can be both. A lot of the gone silent did their mortar participation now like Andy said are needed filler bricks.
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Yes Marcus, the HAVE WOOD WILL TRAVEL book changed everything for me too.
Hey do you want to see my dream classic truck I would like to put a gasifer on, well here is a picture of it.

Cool wouldn’t you say. Of course it doesn’t look like this anymore and minus the trailer. 68 year old 1953 International truck and I can look at it out side my window. It was heading to the wrecking yard when I stopped Roy from taking it there. And get this he said the engine and running gear, brakes are still good. The last time he ran it. I will post it on my Dream build thread when I put it up for everyone to post their dream build ideas.
Bob

5 Likes

A study of personality profiles helps explain this sociological phenomenon. 1% innovate, 9 % adjust, 90% consume.
Praise the Lord that not all 90% innovate. What would we do with all the innovation. Lots of chiefs and no braves. LOL
Also, people get plugged into different social networks.

You can see the same info if you click the search magnifying glass at the top right corner of your screen. Click “users”. Somewhere in there you can see how many times each member visits the site, how many threads they read, how many likes they get/give, etc.
Correction. Sorry, it’s the three horizontal bars…

8 Likes

Aw man, you’ve just created a monster! I’m gonna be in sleuth mode now.

7 Likes

My earliest experience with internet forums was with homesteading sites. Many times stung and crawled back in my hole because everything I expressed was ridiculed. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but not the dullest either but ten times bitten, forever shy. There is a world of that going on in cyber communities so no wonder people are a little reluctant to ask something that may make them vulnerable. When I came back here I’m sure I did and still do make many statements that could easily get me bitch-slapped. Never happened. Best people ever here.

12 Likes

Plus One on what Tom said.
Absolutely the best sorts on this website in particular.

People on the Motorized Bicycle forum I go to is a mixed bag, the old timers are always willing to help but some guys are just prickly when you ask for tips and tricks. Don’t get me started on the 2 Stroke engine guys.

4 Likes

I’ve learned that just about all scraps of wood can be made into a saleable product. Wood is amazing.

Edit: sorry about the political sign.

13 Likes

I do enjoy this forum. I visit usually twice a day—more often during Jakob North’s adventure—thanks Jakob.

11 Likes

Fixing the vacuum lines did little to nothing for shifting. I can maybe see some improvement but I’m chalking it up to placebo effect. Going to order a new modulator. The vacuum line looked filthy on the inside so maybe the modulator has a damaged membrane and is siphoning ATF making the shifting go haywire. If I give the old Buick the beans it will shift reliably, but if I just do Big Toe driving it seems like it will hesitate or long shift between what feels like 1st to 2nd, or maybe 2nd to 3rd. I’m not used to these smooth shifting transmissions, I’m used to the sudden “here it is” shifting from Hondas.

2 Likes

When my vaccum modulator went bad I had white smoke coming out the exhaust pipe.
Bob

4 Likes

I’ve heard from other Buick guys that they get weak with age and the line pressure gets weaker. 20 dollar part so it’s worth a shot. I’ll be changing out the filter this week as well. If that doesn’t fix it I guess I’ll tackle solenoids next.

3 Likes

I would chande the transmission fluid, do not do a slush out just change it and see if anything changes. If you can drop the pan easily I would clean the pan out and change the filter screen too. Changing the fluid more regularly will help if it has not been done in 30,000 miles or so.
Bob

3 Likes

No I won’t do a flush. It can knock garbage into the valve passages with these abused cars. I’m going to drop the pan, change the filter and top off the fluid that comes out when dropping the pan. I have changed, not flushed, about half of the fluid already. Color was a brownish red but no glitter so I was happy with that.

I think it just has OACS, Old Abused Car Syndrome. 124,000 miles and now 5 owners.

After I get the car to shift better I’m going to do TLC maintenance on anything else, maybe get new shocks and tires.

It did have torque converter shudder but that’s gone away since I repaired the vacuum lines.

Luckily I can put the car on a lift at work, and since I help close up the shop I can take advantage of the downtime between service closing and locking up.

4 Likes

When you change the fluid I always pull the cooler lines off and Blow through them with compressed air to clean the old fluid out of the cooler best i can. I almost always get a lot of crap out of it.

10 Likes

I am feeling so smug right now. It was the modulator. When I pulled it out and inspected it, the spring loaded “piston” was rattling loose. I guess the spring either wore out or broke in half. Put in the tuneable NAPA replacement and now it shifts right then and there on time. I need to soften the shifting actually, almost bumps into gears now.

Still going to change the atf filter because I’m sure it’s never been replaced, I’ll ask my friend if he’s had it done when he owned it.

EDIT: Upon further investigation the tuning is actually to adjust shift points apparently. So I can adjust how fast/hard the engine needs to pull to go into the next gear. Right now it goes into 2nd at about 20mph which feels about right. Might just leave the adjustment alone for now.

6 Likes

I was going to post this on Unruh’s “the grids gone down now what do i do” thread, but chris closed it a long time ago.

JO, I watched this tonight and appreciated some of your countrymen. I love how the Swedes deal with things so pragmatically. Seems like a pretty stoic culture… I’m probably biased by being married to one…as are you. LOL.

One thing I noticed about these Swedish preppers. They’re just like all my friends who are preppers…they never are satisfied with what they have prepared. They always say they would feel better with about 50% more. Then when they have that 50% more, they want another 50% more…SOunds like they got their math right to me…

7 Likes