Life goes on - Summer 2022

Just send those people to Iraq or Kuwait and let them find something to eat in the desert. They will soon be enjoying goat meat with the Bedouins.

7 Likes

I read that most of the water used to grow crops on the USA is for alfalfa

Most of that im turn is sent to china

I like beef but I am trying to eat more chicken and pork to save money and mU take a little heat off farmers trying to grow more than just for rage crops

A chum of mine grows a lot forage up here to sell
It goes to feed local beef producers and horses
His herd eats his own grass

It just not make sense to me exporting feed crops and crops corn for ethanol
It’s just the same is exporting waterfo

3 Likes

Iraq, southern marshlands, the cradle of human civilization

Northern Highlands

Kuwait
Processing: image.png

Processing: image.png

Not just dirt
The Western USA is not dirt.
I thought it was growing up

Then I discovered my idea of the American west was actually filmed in Italy

7 Likes

The west may not be dirt but when you are looking out the window of a jet and you cross the Mississippi you are looking at a whole lot of flat boredom til you hit the rockies. Don’t mean to insult any of you that live in the corn belt. I’m a northern hill billy surrounded by fresh water seas. If you got rid of all the people, this place would be perfect. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I can second that, where the people are is where the problems are. Humans have long ago forgotten how to exist within nature, they feel the need to stand above it and point finger’s for things to be done the way they see fit. sorry, a wolf, lion, or chimp would tear you apart. its a big world and we just get to live in it
Im also the odd man out that doesn’t desire 24 hours a day human interaction, I can be completely content with silence on a hill top at first morning light, just listening to the woods as it wakes up and comes to life, knowing how small my role is in it all. Not enough people have felt and seen that , they just rush through life. Its sounds clichĂ© but stop and smell the roses, its good for ya! Finding a little slice of peace in this chaotic world is good for the mind and soul. I’m lucky to also find that with a welder in my hands listening to the bacon fry

13 Likes

Just fyi, there is a new drought resistant alfalfa variety, I think it was the university of new mexico. developed it.

Since we can’t export the corn for food to most countries because we put ther farmers out of business. we can export the distilllers grains as animal food, and china especially uses that to raise chicken and pork which we probably end up buying.

You should see what they have done in ethiopia to restore their farmlands
 They terraced it out and quit overgrazing it. Im not sure the current regime isn’t a tyrant or communist but the agricultural land looks a lot better.

3 Likes

One of the scrapyards in Gastonia opened themselves back to the public for both buying and selling, and they’re open briefly on Saturdays unlike my more local scrapyard in Kings Mountain. I’ll have to browse what they have this weekend.

5 Likes

I hope you can borrow a class 8 truck to make the trip with. After all, you did just get a new welder. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

LOL, I really just need a big sheet of 1/4" and some heavy 12". Maybe some square tube and angle iron if they have it.

I’m hoping they have some well pipe, or something in the size I need.

2 Likes

You can get most of that off an old excavator or one of those draglines. Otherwise, you don’t need the class 8 truck and the trip is completely worthless! You won’t even have the horn to honk and people and say ‘look at me! No hands! no cdl!’ lol

2 Likes

Just saved my dad from spending probably hundreds of dollars.

Dad is moving into a pretty nice RV, and it’s a more modern one that runs off of 12v.

A fuse blew in his CONverter before he got it, we were trying to find out why it wasn’t charging when he hooked up the 120 plug to the camper.

Well, while I was not present to diagnose this issue him and a friend of his found the problem and tried to “test” this by jumpering the Fuse and blowing the capacitors in the Converter.
His friend then erroneously tells him that it was an INverter even though I’ve told him the RV is a 12v system, though it does have an Inverter onboard what went bad was the Converter system. This friend is not an electrician by the way.

Luckily he mentions this to me about going to buy an inverter at Harbor Freight and I intercepted this. He had the original converter in his truck and I cross referenced it to confirm it was in fact the converter. Ordered him a new one for 130 bucks. Crisis averted. It was an exasperating 20 minutes trying to reason with him as to what the problem actually was.

I know the inverter is fine because I managed to power the RV just jumping it off from my truck to the exposed RV battery. Fridge and all.

I’m probably going to help him install a couple solar panels for backup charging. It has hookups built in for panels.

Personally I think he should get two new batteries to replace the single battery to have a longer time if the power goes out.

When I say RV I mean camper, it’s pulled behind a truck.

5 Likes

They are called power supplies. :slight_smile: I would look at the old one, you might be able to have a spare for 10 bucks. the components are usually cheap and off the shelf. I doubt, you feel comfortable checking it all out. If you know someone into like Ham radio or old stereo’s. I would have them check it out with you. There is probably an online guide to checking out a power supply if you don’t though. The other way of course is to just wholesale replace all the components on the board, which might not be that much either.

1 Like

It looks like the tube fuse(soldered in), and two capacitors blew on the board. Probably hooked in and a surge happened? Not sure.

I got him a new power supply that uses external blade fuses. I’ll see if I can fix the old one though.

2 Likes

There are two basic types. This video explains actually explains the difference between the linear and switching power supplies, and you should be able to tell what kind you have by looking at the components on the board.

2 Likes

Hi All.
Out Fall rains started today. Finally no smoke, clean washed air to breath. So, today was the day to load-up to move all of my old woodgasifier materials stocks the 60 miles to the new property. I’d previously moved up all of the SS materials, welder and such.

Some mine previous projects. Some gleamed out the Victory Shop scrap piles just for the tube stock and flanges. Hmm. Shame my shirt obscures the Williams three jet clone system. It had been built with a traditional restriction, grate, and upper double wall condensate collector.

A more conventional six jet gasifier with lots of testing ports and a side Ell arm grate shaker rod. Also upper double wall for condensate collecting.
The wood stove mine that I did some long stick wood woodgasing OUTSIDE with. The sides and back are all double walled cast iron. Do not do this as the heat needed will kill the cast plates! Damn near killed me getting that up the ramp into the truck. It’s 400 pounds heavy.

My BensBuilt Victory hearth #1 woodgasifier on the right. On the left, his 1st attempt chip drying bin using wood gas double wall sides after the gas had slow flowed from one end of the double floor bottom soot/ash settling being hanging flaps “swept”. Gas cleaner-cooler-wood fuel conditioner, all-in-one.
Was a 2nd version better. Then the combo concept was shelved. Too expensive to produce.

Final load out with every hotwater heater take-out from friends and family along with a well tank. (The two biggest again damn near killed me up the ramp and bed jump edge. Ya’d think I gotten old.)
Stuffed in front a couple of medium air compressor tanks. More old-style propane bottles. Stacks of cast iron brake rotors. A couple of more old lead acid batteries. Two still running now goat engines on personally worn out mowers. My Electrodyne cast iron truck 72% efficient 12VDC alternator collection. And my hidden old family garden tools. Have to hide these from the steel animal lawn ornaments welder artists.
Hey doesn’t every woodgaser collect possibles’ stuff, too?
Regards
Steve Unruh

13 Likes

That is great stuff mr SteveU, i believe all of us stuck into woodgassing can see the possibillities in “junk” (in others eyes).

11 Likes

Great collection of junk, Steve—a lot of possibilities.

9 Likes

I just got a reply from someone that watched one of my You Tube videos and said that driveonwood webite is not a secure website. I knew this but it never bothered me. Should it?

7 Likes

It doesn’t bother me, because financial information isn’t shared on this site.

The store side of things uses Square which is very secure.

The Secure thing has to do with an SSL, which can get very expensive for a site owner like Chris.

4 Likes

Wow like (You Tube), and (Face Book) is lol, lol ,lol lol. More people get their site hijacked by other people there then any where else on the internet. They steal your stuff and videos and make monies off you. I feel a lot safer here then any other web site. DOW open source site mostly.
Bob

8 Likes