Life goes on - Summer 2023

Lawnmowing at its best…

16 Likes

Awsome, Johan. I am struggling to have few handfuls each season. But cranberries doing quite good.

This week I managed to harvest last lot of potatoes.

It gave 105 kg from 10 kg seeding. Not so good as Kristijan’s daughter, but good enough. In par with common yield in CR.

14 Likes

Those are blackberries if I am not mistaken, we are getting lots of blackberries too but they are very small this year unfortunately.

But those potatoes are massive, nice baking potatoe :smiley:
Ours have just started blooming but we were late putting them in the ground, I have not peeked to see how the harvest will be yet but I would be very happy with 10:1 :blush:

Nobody beats Kristijan’s daughter :smile:

7 Likes

Blackberries are as resilient as weeds here in the South.

My uncle planted a few domesticated blackberries and transplanted some wild ones in a hedge, so we get a couple different waves of ripe blackberries.

I don’t know what causes it, but the thorns make me itch like poison oak.

7 Likes

Had an old sweet heart tractor come in for some repairs today

10 Likes

Interesting Marcus that you kept this a an original 6 volt.
They work. Work well if not in cold, cold areas.
I did do back in my 20’s and 30’s a fair amount of 8 volt and 12 volt conversions.
They were always harder on the mechanical inertia “Bendix spring” starter spin out drives.
And those big internally more open only three cells batteries always lasted longer, with less internal shorting or going internally open circuit problems.

Ha! My very well used 1967 BMW 1600 sports sedan was factory 6 volts. It would still do 88 mph. Got the tickets to prove that.
6 volt electric windshield wipers and blower motors worked just fine too.
Pretty-fing paints seepage is the real electrical resistance making problems making bugaboo on these. Use by-pass jumper wires to verify these gremlins.
Regards
Steve Unruh

9 Likes

Here in Chile blackberries are known as mora. Supposedly they were introduced by German immigrants. Now they are invasive and everywhere. Mora is the bane of my existence with the possible exception of bamboo. Depends upon which one I’m trying to eradicate at the moment. :rage:

7 Likes

you have to mow over them for a year or two.

They aren’t the bane of my existance, just a nuisance. I think the bane is grapevine and thornapples… the 3" thorns are sharp… but on the bright side im never without a needle. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Been working all these years, thought I would leave it to keep working I love this old stuff when it’s original. This one lives in tonasket and summer time brunhogs a field not really retirement but I’m just happy to send it back out to keep going

5 Likes

I just can’t say no to these tasty little buggers when I get a minute to chase them. 30 minute soak yielded 14 keepers, a few disappeared when I got home and some made it to the pot. When they are this fresh almost don’t even need butter they are so tasty!

13 Likes

Living the good life Marcus. Bon apetit :grinning:

Yes , cut it all when it has full length. Repeat that a few times and it is dead. But you have to cut them all, not just the borders. So I have heard. Dont know if it is true.

4 Likes

Ooooh Marcus, now you made me hungry for those crawlers, here in Sweden soon it’s traditional “premiere” for fishing crawfish, in older times became legal to catch them second week of August if i remember correctly.
Due to tradition it’s celebrated with parties, eating lot’s of crawfish (boiled with dill “crowns”, salt, some dark beer), singing, consuming lots of “snaps” (schnapps), and maybe some “surströmming” for the ones that dare…
:drooling_face: :yum: :drooling_face:

Going to check with my father how many crawfish traps he got…

8 Likes

I think it looks like real crayfish like Macus has, not signal crayfish like a are common now here.
However, I’m a little afraid of eating crayfish, last time it cost me SEK 25,000 (about 2,500 dollars), destroyed a front tooth

10 Likes

Jan, you know you should take the shell of them before you eat? :wink:
Sorry, joking…

9 Likes

These are the native signal crayfish for Washington we do have invasive red swamp crayfish but I have yet to find them. Red swamps there is no limits,native signals it’s 10lbs per person per day 2 traps per person which is hard to limit on unless you are hard after them all-day long

11 Likes

If anyone is interested, serch for current reports from our country (Slovenia). I get my updates trugh facebook and dont know how to post links here, sorry.

Things are… for lack of better word… interesting. Interesting, because my poor brain can not realy connect those videos and reports to reality. It all looks like a begining of a apocalipse movie.
In short, preety much the whole country is either flooded, or sliding away via landslides. To tell the truth l dont even understand how this even happened. So much water. Highways turn in to rivers…
My father lives on a literal drainage rock pile, a mountain that an earthquake 500 or so years ago crushed to what can probably be described as a few hundred feet thick layr of drainage, yet somehow there was still enaugh water runoff to tear up roads and even, uncomfirmed, a cottige house further up from him.
But the low laying citys… well… google it.

We are fine, and l belive Tone is too. Our stubborness to deal with living on a hill, cultivate soil just a few inches thick over bedrock and strugle with preparing fuel and water related things pay up big time in those cases. It is not possible to describe with words what safety feels like when you look at reports like that.

19 Likes

Will be praying for safety over you guys, I always found comfort and safety in the mountains. Long as the volcano don’t lose its lid all will be fine. Living a life prepared for tragedy while praying you never see it, once again yields a small reprise from the storms. This to shall pass.

14 Likes

To shed a bit of comedy light to the subject. Wife did send me this. A report from some foragin website. The reporter wuld probably mute the first clip if he knew what the guy is saying :smile:

For the curious, he is ranting about how the cows dont give a F while half the country is alredy gone :smile:

12 Likes

Got my father on the phone earlier today. He said whatever you gonna do, dont go rafting. I told we are going to Omish especially for that. More oil on his fire :grinning:. But for once in my life I gonna use my brain or what is left of it and pass. Not looking good Kristijan. Good that you did the right things. Stay safe overthere.

8 Likes

Oh you are on vaication? Stay the hell away from Sava, when this thing rushes down in Croatia its gonna be fun. If it hasnt alredy. And we got rain forecasted for next 24h straight… but you are probably nowhere near anyway.

6 Likes