Life Goes on - Summer 2024

I never bothered with an interlock. If I need to power the well pump I just turn the breaker for it off while the power is out. Everything else I run off batteries and just run an extension cord from the gen to the charger.

8 Likes

I can live spartan like that but mom puts the creature in creature comforts.

8 Likes

Figured since i mentioned it the other day i would post some pictures from the tire change on my D17.

I ended up having to use my needle scaller on those rims then a pad on the angle grinder before i could paint them and mount the rims. Those tires where a 2 person job to get on too. I am glad i don’t do that often. Hopefully these last like the first set and i don’t do it again. I am pretty sure one tire i removed was orginal 1957 the other was replaced in the 60s so both where very old tires.

20 Likes

Got the tree cut good enough to get back to my parking spot.

Took my Uncle and I along with the Kubota to get it out of the way. I braced underneath it with boards so when we were cutting it didn’t pinch the chainsaw, and that worked pretty well. Tugged on one end with the chain and rolled it off to the side. It took everything my little B2400 had.

Edit: one challenge was avoiding hitting that barbell pinned under the tree, wouldn’t have been fun to hit that with the chainsaw.

20 Likes

The weather was to good to not go for a hike with my local boys this weekend and every step of the 20 miles and 3500’ of elevation was worth it to see this sunrise

26 Likes

WE got another month or so before we could start getting snow here in Michigan USA. CHEERS.

9 Likes

I got a big cotton wood tree covered up since 2 years, it might burn good and dry enough this year if I don’t have enough slab wood from sawmill. though I need to buy more slab wood for nest year so it can be nice and dry for next year, I got good little pile of sliced up slab wood should be dry and ready to chunk or cut on table saw if too hard dry to chunk, CHEERS for the free wood, SORRY ABOUT YOUR CHIPPER, that looks like one big dog of a storm. Glad your chipper is all that got damaged, hopefully it can be salvaged, though it looks like it got nailed.

12 Likes

Dan, I’m glad my Fergie tires are almost brand new. I remember the change was done in 1975 :astonished::thinking:

Now those are some pretty views.

14 Likes

Fantastic pictures mr Norman :+1: :+1: :+1:

12 Likes

Well, seem’s i have to find my long-johns too

What i’ve missed the most is to scrape the ice of the windows

14 Likes

I think the engine is mostly toast, I’ll at least need a new cylinder head because the exhaust studs got ripped out sideways. Chipper mechanism actually looks mostly fine believe it or not.

10 Likes

Send it to Tone or Giorgio. They can fix anything. I’d just put an on-sale preditor on it.

12 Likes

Just hope it isn’t a tapered shaft engine. It’s a 198cc Honda Clone so I’m sure any Honda clone head will fit it.

10 Likes

look that up before blindly ordering one. There were at least some parts that varied on the clones. In some cases, they weren’t exact copies.

7 Likes

If it is a tapper shaft just look for a generator wherever people scrap them you will often find good motors on dead generators. Most have tapper shafts
 i have one about 30hp i need to adapt to something. Not sure what it will end up powering.

7 Likes

We have potatoes. Weather cooler now we can sun dry-harden and store them.

S.U.

20 Likes

Yeah, I fixed my generator’s Honda with a head from Aliexpress.

9 Likes

Mom called Rutherford Electric on an estimated time we will get power back. Quote: “We don’t know. It could be days, it could be more.”

Just for their clients on Friday they had 60,000 households without electricity. That’s not counting Duke Electric or other providers.

I’ve burned 17 gallons of gasoline over the weekend. That’s 25 dollars a day roughly.

16 Likes

Fall is here.
S.U.

19 Likes

I was without electricity for about a year after our transformer blew up. One way we saved on gas was to use a battery and a cheap inverter to provide power to computers and led lights. We would run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning and then evening to recharge the battery and get the refrigerator/freezer down to temperature. It worked because we don’t have AC or heavy loads like water heating or well pumps. A larger battery bank and pure sine wave inverter would handle a water pump.

14 Likes