Life goes on - Winter 2016

Just dropped off all my florescent shop lights at the auction today. Shop relighted with LED. I just use the contractor tin clamp on 2x4 sockets. Found they give more light without the reflector but a bit harder on the eyes when looking up at the ceiling.

Like my LED lanterns that can be found in the sports department. Use D cell rechargeable batteries. Keep one by the bed for when I have to get up at night to pee. Will get one of those USB battery contraptions to play with. These lanterns are not wife grade lighting but I like them for some applications.

Been thinking about cordless tools and maybe using the batteries to power other stuff beside the tool it comes with. Not too sure about the cordless chainsaws but I’ve been watching them. Might be better off with an axe and crosscut.

3 Likes

Love those new led shop light bulbs. I bought the ones that run at the balast voltage so I didn’t have to change the fixtures. Half the wattage and more light. It’s that simplest solution thing Steve was talking about. It’s an imperfect solution but it gets me 80% there…

3 Likes

Easter has great value in our tradotion. The whole 4 days are reserved for family and fun.

Some short clips from this year

Mortars are shot on easter in the region live in. The contryside feels like liveing in a storm cloud, mortars and carbide cannons roaring and ehoing far andloud. This year we were equipt with 14 mortars. I forgot to film when we lit all at once. Majestic sight!

This is a traditional easter horse blessing. A nother joyfull event.

And a slow enjoyfull ride home; but it aint fun without skillful fingers on mybrother in laws acordion.

12 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

Fantastic feeling around the horses! Can you name the two peaces the brass band is playing? At least the second one has been sung and marched-to during the military service…your brother-in-law as a musician knows for shure!

Oh! I remember the second one: “It’s a long way to Tipperary!”

Are you still in the Easter celebrations?

2 Likes

Lots of horses to bless. Are they used for work or just pleasure? Thanks for sharing the traditions.

2 Likes

Max,

Indeed it is!
Its called Happy marching badnd. Had a hard time my self finding the title :smile:

No, the celebration ended yesterday and we are back to harsh everyday.

Carl,
Not so long ago those majestic animals had a lot tougher life, now they are just for fun. The one l gave caressed in the video is my good friend and companion Zila. We learned each other to horse ride, got her from my father in law when she was a few months old.

7 Likes

Hello Kristijan.

I spent about an hour today on the back of a four year old in the bush looking for a cow and new born calf ( she had got out of the pasture to hide her new born) .

It sure makes my wood burner seem to ride smooth :relaxed:

4 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

Thank you! I was guessing on “Alte Kameraden”…

Good celebrations!

2 Likes

Hello KristijanL
I hope you had an extra piece of polenta? bread with good wishes for all of us who in any way power-thier-lives-with-wood too.
Regards
J-I-C Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Baby moose visiting the horses :smile:

5 Likes

Interesting videos gives an idea for a hydraulic chunker!

1 Like

Man I would hate to see that thing comming at me… that is old school scary! Looks like it would leave a spike mess behind you wouldn’t want to slide off the road into either.

1 Like

I find the concept insightful. The operating principle is the same as the WK chunker, but amenable to taking in standing brush. I suspect it’s more power efficient than other automated brush removal, but I question if it’s as effective, almost seems like a second machine, a flail mower or something would be needed to cut close to the ground.

As a chunker, I can see some advantages - the rotating helical mechanism has a broad wear surface, the cutter can be made from tool grade steel, replacable for maintenance and sharpening. it could be built essentially like the conventional chunker.

1 Like

Hey Chris ,

WOW, how time flies !!

Do you think we should start a new thread ( Life goes on 2017 )

2 Likes

Glad I beat Chris to it but hopefully these are the last snowflakes shown this winter. I bet Mr Wayne is strolling a sunny hayfield in his Bermudas.

6 Likes

My wife had me out yesterday doing as they say in France, " Moing de laun" or as we say, " cut’n the grass." TomC

3 Likes

Hm, the only green I´ve seen so far is a couple of straws towards the basement foundation :cry:
Edit: Merry Christmas!

7 Likes

And I thought it was taking too long here… but we melted out last week and I am starting to get green growing now. I am soo busy now with spring work I hardly find time to even check in here.

1 Like

Good point Wayne. It’s time for a new thread! Continued here: Life goes on - Summer 2017

2 Likes