Life goes on - Winter 2020

Hey, I don’t want to get off into the weeds on this topic, but scripture is pretty clear. Leviticus lays out the laws of God’s people, and says very clearly “thou shalt not mar the corners of thy hair nor thy beard, or God will turn his face against you”. Also, this is illustrated in the story of Sampson, seduced into getting his hair cut, then weakened, blinded and tortured because God abandoned him. When the Roman empire took up Christianity they rewrote quite a number of the rules laid out very clearly.

1 Like

First calf of the year. Mini cattle makes for mini calves. Might be 35 lbs. No way they would survive winter birth without intervention. This one spent some quality time on my futon yesterday enjoying the wood heat.

I had not intended calving any time before April, but a yearling bull had other plans. So now there’s a new celebrity in the barn yard.

9 Likes

That one looks to be the same size as my Galloway calves. I like small calves much easier on the cows.
Congrats on getting her born alive the hard part should be over if she is up on her feet and drinking she will do ok in most cold. But I do realize you get colder weather than me.
One morning a year or two ago I walked outside thinking how desperately cold it got over night only to see a newborn calf running around having a blast made me stop complaining about the cold pretty quickly.

4 Likes

It warmed up over night, if it had been minus 25 like yesterday morning I might have kept her on the futon overnight. I need to get a doggy jacket to make it easier on the newly born.

Very easy calving as you say, I have pulled some difficult calves before, don’t want to have that stress. So far I’d say the Dexter/ lowline Angus are the nicest cattle I’ve dealt with.

She drank from each quarter within an hour of birth, now she’s a going concern

4 Likes

View out my back door today:

The river here is up about 30 feet from normal. We’ll have a couple feet of water in the basement before the day is out.

I am grateful though. We still have power, heat, water and internet.

8 Likes

It did not look good, hope it does not rise more.

4 Likes

I think I might accelerate plans to build a house up on that hill.
Hopefully it doesn’t get any worse. Around here the flood water flows about 40mph so you would definitely not want to be in the middle of it.

3 Likes

This is just backed up water, not moving at all. The Kentucky River is about 2 miles away, we are far from the path of flow.

These pictures were taken at 44 feet, theyre calling for 44.8. So it won’t get much worse.

Meanwhile we’re singing the old song:

9 Likes

My condolences Chris .

I have sang that song a few times also :frowning_face:

1 Like

Chris, I hope you’re holding up well. I also adore songs from Johnny Cash especially this one which is probably quite the anthem of your (our) community and you will sing it soon.

7 Likes

It looks like Spring is about ready to show up in northern MN. My goal is to tap 300 maple trees this year. When the maple is done, a buddy is coming up from the cities and we will tap 600 birch trees.

10 Likes

That will keep you busy collecting and prossing. I like your new collection bags.
Bob

2 Likes

Last couple days there has been a steady stream of geese heading north. Canadian,snows, and blues guess spring is on the way.

2 Likes

Thought Bruce might find interest in this water collector.

Warka Water Tower

Sure! That would work !https://m.facebook.com/ozzysclassics/photos/a.781255298912638/1320278118343684/?type=3&source=48&refid=28&ft=qid.6936887403603253540%3Amf_story_key.-3605807568784681735%3Atop_level_post_id.1320278118343684%3Acontent_owner_id_new.632417053796464%3Apage_id.632417053796464%3Asrc.22%3Aoriginated_from_recommendation.1%3Astory_set_type.19%3Aphoto_id.1320278118343684%3Astory_location.5%3Astory_attachment_style.photo%3Aview_time.1615119959%3Afilter.h_nor%3Atds_flgs.3%3Aott.AX-vgdk2d5c7ogvt&tn=EH-R

It’s easier to just wire in an inverter to run the battery charger. Then just charge the batteries with that. No moving parts, no friction!

Sure, but then nobody could see your redneck genious!

1 Like

It is totally genius. They just turned the Volt into a Windfarm! With the prevailing westerly winds, they can probably get to Florida on a single charge. :laughing:

1 Like

Had a calf born the other day. Snoopy is going to be my next bull so he is lucky he just had to get some ear tags.
Being a belted Galloway he is tinny might be 30lbs max. But nice and healthy. So life is good.

7 Likes

someone isn’t sharing their super secret chunker design.
4:50 into this video.

1 Like