Life goes on - Winter 2021

We have similar rules depending on the state you go to. As long as the vehicle can’t go faster than 35mph you don’t need a plate but you can’t go on roads marked faster. It’s basically to allow people to go about town in golf carts.

I’m hoping the micro truck will be legal in that sense. I’m still putting lights and a permanent caution triangle on the back.

2 Likes

Not sure why I started thinking about this but what would happen if you took a V-type engine and fired all the cylinders in one bank simultaneously assuming that the crank was internally balanced.

Little cars? I always wanted one of these for some reason.
http://www.classic-car-history.com/nash-metropolitan.htm

Of course sometimes 1200 CC’s is just not enough.

https://youtu.be/cCNC10Wt4Lc

2 Likes

I transformed my workshop into bakery for next few days. The production of Christmas sweets already started.

13 Likes

Ordered a Russian Red Pomegranate tree for my mom as a Christmas present. She is addicted to eating Pomegranates.

7 Likes

Also may have secured some furniture and pallet builders that need their offcuts offloaded. For sure one, they leave crates and crates out for free.

5 Likes

Score! Time to get something up and running, scraps from business like that come nice and dry and very little cutting to be ready made fuel. Just be aware of the acidity problem like Carl had and weakening his hopper

3 Likes

Still working on the Mazda reactor. Also trying to get a store of charcoal so I’ll have a fuel cushion zone for the Sierra.

4 Likes

Random thing that grinds my gears. The term “Biochar”. I use the word “biocoal” more than biochar if I use anything other than charcoal.

I don’t know why biochar bothers me. Charcoal is biological no matter how it got burned. But I feel like biocoal makes more sense to the Swedes on here for sure since charcoal is träkol for them. Biokol/biocoal makes sense to me because it’s differentiating from fossil coal like lignite and anthracite which still came from plants but I digress.

4 Likes

just checking to see if I am still on the sight, been having computer trouble again .looks like everything is working all right

10 Likes

Did the tornadoes miss Chris?

3 Likes

Biochar is soil amendment in my world Cody. In order for it to be useful for that it needs to be charged, meaning it absorbs various elements and minerals which it then slowly feeds back into the soil and whatever is planted in it.

6 Likes

Chris and family should be OK . He is on the other end of the state .

11 Likes

Same here. I feel like Biochar is just a byproduct of processing biocoal. That dust goes right into my compost bin.

2 Likes

I guess it’s a matter of words. I think of coal as being mined out of the ground. None to be had around here. When I was still forging I couldn’t even find anyplace to sell it by the bag.

4 Likes

Mom’s sapling arrived today. When they say “1 to 2 days shipping” they aren’t kidding. Going to keep it inside until spring so it has plenty of time to grow some foliage as a head start. After that it’ll be established and can survive the next winter. Probably in two years it’ll be a beautiful 10 feet tall by 10 feet wide fruit bearing tree.

Also I’ve taken a closer look at my giant pile of wood chips. I’m probably going to toss it all into a no till project to build soil up. I have a nice patch of ground behind the house that gets halfway decent sunlight but has God awful ground. We have little topsoil and only grass and weeds grow on it, every spot I pick and till up I get rocks and clay so I’m just going to build on top of the dirt. This project would be easy if I hadn’t found leaks in the hydraulic lines for the Kubota’s bucket so that’s one more thing I need to fix.

7 Likes

I feel your pain Cody.
Yesterday (the ONLY day in the last 20 without ground saturating raining) I finally got dug out; found; and capped off an old 60+ year black Poly buried irrigation line been running up the monthly water bill since last August. Drought ground shrinkage, rock shifted split, no doubt.
The SIXTH plumbing repair/restoration I’ve had to do in the last four weeks.
With two more deferred for now. Having to switch back to bad, unworking, electrical switches and outlets in the newly bought place we are slowly moving into. We overnight weekend for now.
How the hell can I get 50 volts AC on a single phase 120VAC line?? Eats up expensive ground fault outlets.
No fun at all jumping around restoring and repairing expectations for the four females now in my life.
Hardly time and energy to do real wood-for-power projects.
S.U.

6 Likes

I order all my hydraulic lines from surplus center. The entire line costs less than one fitting here local.
As to the wood chips just be careful around the base of those small trees. I have seen people choke saplings with wood chips. I don’t know enough to understand what is and isn’t safe for transplants but I have failed several times in the past. Seems they needed more attention than I gave them.

6 Likes

Dan is right about the wood chips. Before they start breaking down they will leach minerals out of their surroundings as part of the mechanism used by nature to break them down. Mulch your new tree with old straw or leaves. What that tree wants most to grow is potassium and phosphorus in the hole you plant it in.

9 Likes

It isn’t for trees, just mulching the ground itself and going to let it rot to build some topsoil.

3 Likes

Sounds like the neutral (white wire pole transformer center tap) is not bonded to earth ground at the fuse / breaker box. There should be a ground rod driven within a few feet outside of where the power enters the dwelling. Check for solid connections and clean / tight fasteners. You should have 120 VAC from ground to each of the two phases and 240 VAC from one phase (hot Red) to the other phase (hot Black). If you have a green safety ground, it should be connected together electrically to the neutrals (White) at the fuse / breaker box. If the ground connects to a water pipe, that may not be a good enough low resistance ground. This is the way it should work, not always wired that way in older homes. In my experience you get the 50 volts when a ground is lifted or corroded. :cowboy_hat_face: :thinking:

5 Likes