Life goes on - Winter 2021

Work has been throwing out all kinds of stuff. Today I rescued 3 20lb propane tanks from the garbage. Going to use up any gas that might be in there and then take them apart.

5 Likes

Life is good. I missed this. Only work work work the last weeks.
What about you JO? Finished the bosses jobs? Time to come over?

4 Likes

Here’s another Christmas present;

6 Likes

Where are you finding all of the good things to eat from Sweden, I never see this out here in the north western part of the USA?
Bob

2 Likes

I sure they got both at Ikea.

3 Likes

I find a lot of neat Euro foods at the Lidl or Aldi stores. There’s also a Ukrainian owned grocery market that sells various slavic foods.

I buy bulk kvas to give my dad and slow down his beer drinking.

3 Likes

I’m beginning to understand now Wayne’s been busy ever since he quit his job.
I start the day with breakfast. By the time I get dressed it’s time for the next meal. I check what’s new on DOW and all of a sudden it’s getting dark. I feed the boiler, have supper, brush my teeth and hit the hay :smile:

Al, that’s my daily bread. Leksand is only 12 miles from here. We buy big boxes, second-rate, straight from the bakery. In several of my driving videos I’ve passed close to the bakery/factory.
Since they are dry crackers they should be smeared with butter before adding any further protein topping.
What’s the thing about gifting Swedish food?

8 Likes

At least in this part of Michigan all the towns were settled by immigrants of the same homeland. The towns farther out the peninsula were settled by Scandinavians, the town I now live in was all Polish, the next town over was all German and one odd town between them all was mostly Bohemian and even though my Godfather referred to himself as that I never knew if his people were Czech’s or Slovak. I think things got pretty confusing in that area for a while. A lot of Finn’s went to the upper peninsula, land of a thousand Sauna. When I was a kid, several times a year the towns people celebrated various religious occasions with a huge Smorgasbord at the Lutheran Church. Everybody brought some kind of food. As soon as I never had to see a pickled herring again I got happier.

7 Likes

Tom I have to agree with you. When it comes to fish I’ll only eat it in the battered breaded and pan fried format.

Or salmon patties. I love salmon patties with some dry bread.

4 Likes

Sweet, sour and salty with a slimy texture. How can you not like raw pickled herring? :smile:

7 Likes

I have only had one fish I didn’t like and that was a sole I caught in Puget sound, I pan fired it in butter…:face_vomiting: I usually cook things the first time with no seasoning to get the natural flavor so I know the seasoning it need for next time. Next time I will throw that fish back. Anything else, if it swims it is delicious! My personal favorites are sturgeon, halibut, catfish, crappie, and bluegill, small mouth bass in that order. And they all get cooked the same, Louisiana fish fry breading deep fried in peanut oil with a little bit of tarter sauce and home fries. That’s a meal fit for a king in my book! Salmonoids and trout get smoked with brown sugar brine. Fresh is best, but I have no problem with pickled preserved fish, my absolute favorite snack is kippered herring

Wife buys these by the case for me, delicious little snack on Ritz crackers

5 Likes

Ha! Me too Marcus.
Kippered herring, “stinky fish”. All mine. I do not have to share.
Well . . . the dogs do love the oil.
S.U.

4 Likes

The wife hates it if I even open these in the house " it makes the whole house smell!" Once my kids figured out I was eating fish it was game over, now she has three stinky fishy boys running around. My seven year old for thankgiving had to write down what he was thankful for and he said
#1 eating fish
#2 movies
#3 pizza
:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

Pizza. Yes. A miracle food made from only flour, tomatoes and cheese. Then you get creative. Pizza with Sardines or anchovies. My fathers favorite. I say sacrilege.

5 Likes

WINTER OF 2022.
HAPPY NEW YEAR DOW MEMBERS.
Bob

9 Likes

And now I hope to contribute something related to woodgas this year. Learned a lot already, thanks.

A healty year to you all.

7 Likes

Power down situation at the house. People always think our oil lamps are so quaint until they realize we actually will use them. It’s best to leave them out as decoration when not in use so you don’t have to fumble in the dark to find them.

Raining pretty hard last night and today. Saw 3 wrecks on the way to work. Medium sized box truck swerved around a jersey barrier and smacked into a pillar of a bridge. Now it’s pinned under the bridge/overpass.

Hopefully the power will come back on, it’s going to be below freezing tonight.

7 Likes

The weather is kicking my butt lately

5 Likes

Same-same here Marcus.
Yes we were supposed to just have rain now. I am getting so tired of shoveling out gate swings, decks and plowed up berms.
Expected if we lived above 1500 feet. Not at 600 and 700 feet.
S.U.

3 Likes

Hey Cody I hope you’ve got your power back on.
When we started housing the two foster girls a few years back I did high shelf store our oil lamps. Brrrr. Kids and glass and lamp oil are not a safe mix.
I invested into the newer rechargeable “D” cell batteries and florescent camping lanterns.
Power out longer than a day and then the little day ran generator recharging the darkness used lantern batteries and all of the AA and AAA devices.
Stay safe my friend
Steve Unruh

5 Likes