Life goes on - Winter 2021

Yes this type of weather can put a stand still to everything on your west side of the mountains. It can slow us down too.
Bob

2 Likes

Wish some of that cold would arrive here! Doesn’t feel right being in a t shirt in the end of December.

3 Likes

This is very odd weather for us, maybe every 3-5 years we get these types of temps. Being so close to the coast it stays general warm

5 Likes

Merry Day after Christmas to all! An unusually warm December here, was over 50 Degrees F yesterday, cooler tonight. Warm again tomorrow with some rain. Almost zero snow this year so far. No complaints! Maybe too much mud… :smile:

7 Likes

Merry Christmas to all. I am a few hundred miles north of you in Canuckistan as you guys call it. Northern Vancouver island. -7 C here. A guy tried flooding the playground to make a skating rink but not quite cold enough. Keeps melting to the grass and draining away. Had a couple inches of snow for Christmas. Clear and cold for the next few days.

Buzz

7 Likes

23 deg and 5” of snow here, quit unusual.

Good hot fire, lots of dry wood nearby, life would be perfect except for Seahawks snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Absolutely bottom of the pack.

3 Likes

Mike I just went out to walk the dog Marley. She kept giving the look. You know the “I want to go for a walk look”. The wind blowing from the North, facing the wind it was brutal. She was ready to head back home after a few minutes of that. Sitting here now eating some home made squash soup. Yummy.
We will probably be seeing the snow tomorrow. Stay warm by the fire.
Bob

6 Likes

Hi All,
Well 6 inches accumulated snow here now. Good because now when we go below into hard freezing for the next 5-7 days, we have some snow insulation coverage.
But . . . sideways blowing snowing.
I keep having to go outside and sweep off one or the other of the four satellite dishes.
Ha! And before I can get back inside, the two little girls have sucked up the bandwidth with their new replacement kids tablets.

They are on “Grandma” enforced time-out currently so’s I have to read; catch up, and respond fast.
Been caregiver taxi-delivering to in-home job sites for the wife most all day.
The 231,xxx miles, 2007 Hyundai Tucson delivers still in the snow and ice. Love the 4wd lock.
The woodstove is heat suppling just fine too. Love the local-grown renewing solid fuel.

Ben Peterson newslettered out a Christmas greeting and pictured up a Jeep Wrangler as his next gasifier conversion project. Be his third vehicle published gasified.

Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Why don’t you cry about it Michael. I think 1955 was the last time Detroit won anything. I always said that you will know when the Apocalypse is here. Detroit will be in the Super Bowl.

2 Likes

Hi All,
Christmas is now past. New Years is now coming up days-soon.

I do not personally do New Year’s resolutions. Resolutions I do year around.
Like most here I do going-forward; past the winter down-time; next year’s Planning.
The Gardener planning out next growing seasons gonna’ DO’s.
Bob Mackey’s Jeep Grand Cherokee alternatives woodgas planning out.

I just read this wisdom line in a written 2021 novel:
“LIFE is what happens to you while you’re busy making other Plans.”
Like just yesterday the Wife calling me into the bathroom to point out the stop valve faucet leaking behind the toilet. Second pressure installation plumbing leak in six weeks! Why I put those all in new . . . hmm . . . 26 years ago.

Of course, I had to look up the actual originator of the Life-happens wisdom. John Lennon; the musician.
Here on the DOW I can see those of us active, divide out into Goals-planners.
And those who ride the white-water rafts of Life.
No matter. Out true commonality is DOing and use-proving, versus just talking.

Me? I’ve learned to do both in their seasons.
A bit more the planner maybe . . . “those who fail to Plan, better get accustomed to failing a lot”.
Hey! That works too. Given enough Edison-sweating, and perseverance.
I watch the 6 year old putting together now 300 piece jigsaw puzzles. Try, try, no. Try, try, fits. Humming along. Happy. The 8 year old with no patience for that. A blank sheet of paper, and markers and an imagined image-plan for that one.
Ha! The reoccurring P0128 code on their mother’s Mazda car. I give download printouts on possibilities. Print outs of On-hands diagnostics to get best, most likely repairs.
She does not read them. Just a quick scan for the-just-replace-this answer. Details reading is just not her. Most of my family too.
So . . . first it was replace the temperature sensor . . . next will be the flow control thermostat.
And on a VW Jetta and a BMW in my past experiences it was the cracked off missing plastic water pump impellors that were their P0128 code sources. Sheeet. That never happened back in the all metals days.

So I resolve to try and not be bothered by those unable, unwilling, to detail read anymore. Endlessly searching for an easy, feed-me, single, magic answer.
True Life is complicated and messy.
True Life is expending trying in many ways for the one, this time, that works. Next time: due to slightly different circumstances; doing it all over again a thousand ways, for a single different will-work.
Ha! Ha! Why sperm, seeds are broadcast out in thousands and millions.

Woods gasifing for fueling IC engines fortunately there are only, practical, useable: 2-3-4 ways.
Regards to All
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Mr. Ramos has been a busy bee. Just saw his video he uploaded showing his travels. He’s making the news over there!

8 Likes

Two different people driving across their country on wood/char gas in their vehicles all in the same year. 2021 DOW been a good year. 2022 we will be looking forward to it with more DOW events.
Bob

5 Likes

Never knew you could make stop and go videos nor that being a wood gasser made you a chick magnet. Too late for me. I guess that balls in your court Cory.

5 Likes

This is for Jan O. Got this for Christmas:

7 Likes

Be sure to put this over a venison roast. You will not regret it.

7 Likes

I was about to say black pudding or meatballs, but Kristijan seems to have a somewhat more dainty taste :smile:
Al, I hope you got the homemade type. The storebought stuff is unfortunately mostly sugar - as usual.

4 Likes

I pretty sure it came from Ikea

3 Likes

Finally the new door is installed. Next step is the wall. Plastic from sandwich panels is coming off.

Dont know what to do. Wood 2-3 like we did with the garage or a living wall? Last one is very expensive and thus DIY. Good for representation. I cant meet clients the way it is right now. More projects, more projects.

6 Likes

Me and my little helper feeding cows for the last time this year .

Happy new year to all :grinning:

9 Likes

The hay right off the bale must be twice as tasty.

6 Likes