Lookee what followed me home today

Mike, I’m right on the border line of winter salt. It is possible to find non-rusted out bodies.
Looking forward to the guidance. Hope I can get to the point of giving you a ride some day.
Al

1 Like

Hey Doug, It rained cats and dogs here today and I realized the windshield really needs to be resealed, so I dropped it off at a friends body shop. I don’t want it to leak when I’m doing 70mph DOW. He said he could get to it as soon as he can. Thanks for the tip. I’ll get there…
I will be using some of your saw blades! Thanks. :slight_smile:
Al

I’ve been stockpiling oak to dry so when I finally get ready to DOW I’ll have some ready to go.
I made two trips so far. Here’s a pic of the load I brought home last night. It was a slow trip home, but I was smiling all the way.
I stopped by the feed store and weighed it, and this load was a little over 6600 lbs net. It was just sawed last week, so it is green, green, green.

Anybody have an idea what the loss of weight might be to drying?

It’s starting to look like a lumber yard around here.

Onward & upward

1 Like

Looking good Al! You’ll lose almost half the weight, 50% to around 12% MC

Very nice Al!
Sure is nice to know you’ll have fuel ready when you complete your truck.

Do this motor look like 318, or do the 4.7 v8 motors look the same.Ohhh this dakota followed me home today. frame looks nice solid. runs drives good, needs tlc body edges, and paint. deffinitly not my rust belt state.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pics Kevin . Nice looking truck.

I know the 318 and 360 have a distributor and I think the 4.7 have coil packs .

3 Likes

Thanks Wayne K for the truck with easy clean intake, HALF the Battle cleaning.Good solid trailer hitch hardly any rust around it or the rear frame areas. im probley good then since its vin Y on eigth digit vin number.she idled all the way home on the dolly in nutral. stayed on back roads too keep from any tranny damage.

2 Likes

Kevin the 4.7 V-8’s are a single overhead camshaft design. The camshaft covers are aluminum colored; although actually cast magnesium for make-quieter noise dampening.

Yours’ with the black painted stamped steel rocker arm valve covers would be a 318/360 V-8.
The VIN code letter will tell you if it is actually the 318, or the 360.

Congratulations
Steve unruh

3 Likes

Yes sir thanks STEVE. vin y is 318 and vin z is 360. 2000 and newer used 4.7 other than the rt dakotas from ? 96 too 04 i was told yesterday. makes it easyer too know what years the used the 318 dakotas. and trannys, the 4.7 and 5.7 used the other tranny, different from the old school 318-340-360-383 trannys.The stamped rib rocker thats good point, the newer v8 4.7 i seen, looked too be smooth rocker cover,THANKS.for the info.

3 Likes

hy Wayne K Happy fathers day. I thought that the v10 had coil packs ig. Or is there other reasons the newer 5.7 dakotas may not be as hd as the older motors. Or is it just the timeing dident seem too adjust for wood gas type fuel. I probly missed this questain elsware.Thanks for the book all about gasifier opereration and designs. Hopefully next year this coved flu junk will be over and we can all have more argos weekend meetings.

2 Likes

Good morning Kevin .

The 5.2 and the 5.9 have a distributor and seem to work fine for woodgas . The v-10 has coil packs but also does good on wood gas .

The 4.7 is the motor that may not do well on wood gas .

4 Likes

Ok thanks Wayne, probly a little low on power with no timeing addjustment’ and heavyer than the older dakotas.

1 Like

Got a trade on race car frame chassey, and some missolanios parts for two old school 1999 360 and 318 magnum motors ready too save for wood gas truck.

These are the style of aluminum intakes that work so well on the dakota motors pre 99 and back or the rt dorangos and rt dakots still have the 360 5.9 up too 2004.they look allmost hollow when looking under the throtle blate, must be the extra air space and or swirl that lets the char silt burn clean with these intakes.

4 Likes

Any one know why dodge use such of a tall intake, or what there gain claim is.Or effect of there intake design was.?

2 Likes

Hey Kevin,
For best torque they found a long intake and short exhaust was the way to go.
For absolute horsepower at higher RPM then a short intake/long exhaust branches.
Many of the newer engines use a dual long/short intake passage ways with diverter valves in the intake to try and get the best of both approaches.

Look at the 1990’s Ford 302/5.0L V-8 engines and you’ll see long upright intakes in the pickup engines. And short intakes in the Mustang engines.

Gasoline in the intake stream like in carburetors and throttle-body injection makes for a different intake game to play to keep those gasoline droplets into air suspension. NOT dropping out and pooling.
Port EFI, the intakes only have to account for air. Ha! And oil mists from the PCV systems.
Regards
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Kevin, I don’t know why they chose the barrel shape. I like Steve’s explanation. Here is an interesting article I found online.
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/manifolds.html

2 Likes

Thanks Steve Unruh, i ment too say intake manifold, that sets my mind strait on how they picked up extra torqe from gas motors, that design with the intake vauves, made a big difference on torqe and performance.

3 Likes

Thanks mike renalds, That is an interesting study of intake manifold designs and flow gains. Looks like smoothing out the runners and ports made good difference on the magnum barrel intakes. That flow bench test tells what the flow rates are clear as a bell. And as steve unruh was explaining about keeping the gas in vapor state, probley helps mpg and longer lasting motors.

3 Likes

Hi Steeve, thanks for the info on the torqe power at High And Low rpms with the long and short intake exougst valve changeing the length of exougst and intake, i am one of the worst at reading comp, so it took me a while too read your post, and comp. Good info.

4 Likes